LanOC 5.5 Mini Lan Feb 20th 2010

More
22 Feb 2010 00:14 #2167 by garfi3ld
anyone other than staff have anything feedback or comments?

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2010 01:00 #2168 by Twodavez
Good LAN. Best mini so far from LAN OC! who knew a 10 year old game would be the new "hit". glad everyone got hooked on that new style of game. Hopefully we can continue to expose people to the new games.
Thanks again to everyone who helped make the day/night happen! See you at Stompfest!

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
22 Feb 2010 02:02 #2169 by Reaper
It was fun to join you guys and play some MW2 over the Internet! I was figuring that private server meant no way in heck I'd be able to do that and was surprised when it let me right click / join game :-) . Sorry I missed out on being there in person but will be at LanOC 6. Is there a solid date for that set so I can set it in stone on my schedule?

More
22 Feb 2010 02:16 #2170 by garfi3ld
April 17th and 18th, I am setting up registration right now

Wes

More
22 Feb 2010 20:48 #2171 by LinkyPwns
Sup all, I had a good time at 5.5! I probably played more RTS than FPS for once, which was cool. I enjoyed playing MW2 (I was amazed how much different it felt with everyone having a ping less than 10ms). WCIII was fun, but I felt like it took up too much time. There was a great variety of games and people. It was a blast. I am looking forward to 6.0

More
23 Feb 2010 12:43 #2173 by Dreyvas
I was bummed not to be able to get anybody to play Crysis Wars or Cod4. In fact, I couldn't really get anyone to play any FPS for the last half of the lan. Disappointing.

More
23 Feb 2010 13:48 #2174 by Twodavez

Dreyvas wrote: I was bummed not to be able to get anybody to play Crysis Wars or Cod4. In fact, I couldn't really get anyone to play any FPS for the last half of the lan. Disappointing.

The only times i heard about a FPS going up was when Linky was yelling "TF2", i never heard about any other FPS's the rest of the night... Maybe you need to do a little more recruiting. I never look forward to playing COD4, but i would've played a little Crysis wars. It certianly helps having the microphone like a the main lans to get everyon's attention when a new server of anything goes up...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
23 Feb 2010 14:47 #2175 by Dreyvas
I steamed a bunch of people and walked around asking for cod4, also asked a bunch of people about counter-strike. I don't remember whether I yelled anything for Crysis Wars or not, everyone had been playing dota for a few hours at the time. I got on Borg chat and nobody was using it. Next time I'll just get a megaphone, I guess? Haha

More
23 Feb 2010 16:30 #2176 by Lersar

Dreyvas wrote: I steamed a bunch of people and walked around asking for cod4, also asked a bunch of people about counter-strike. I don't remember whether I yelled anything for Crysis Wars or not, everyone had been playing dota for a few hours at the time. I got on Borg chat and nobody was using it. Next time I'll just get a megaphone, I guess? Haha

I thought it was great to see a different genre get some attention aside from FPS. Usually its TF2 or MW that get played a few hours at a time, those who gave DoTA a chance really enjoyed it.

More
23 Feb 2010 16:33 #2177 by Dreyvas
Oh, definitely. Just a little discouraging when we have two dozen people and I can't get more than one other person to join a game of Cod4.

More
23 Feb 2010 18:11 #2178 by Twodavez
Anyone going to get the new Battlefield? I've heard good things including better LAN support.

More
23 Feb 2010 18:15 #2179 by Lersar
I've heard very very good things about the multiplayer demo available through consoles. Not sure about PC, but it can't be much different. They're saying its going to give MW2 a run for its money.

More
23 Feb 2010 18:18 #2180 by Twodavez
I know of a few people who aren't happy with MW2 and are going to get it, so i might be more willing to jump on that bandwagon vs the MW2 wagon. I've always loved the battlefield series over COD

More
23 Feb 2010 19:12 #2182 by jj_Sky5000
I chose the new bf over mw2, I only played cod4 at lans without that option i see know reason to get the game.

More
24 Feb 2010 17:26 #2189 by LinkyPwns
I wish I could have played crysis wars but for some reason it was deleted from my computer. Maybe when I did a system restore...I'm not sure but I'll have to make sure I got it installed for the next lan...(which is when?)

More
24 Feb 2010 17:36 #2190 by Davey_Boy
Fail Josh, Jeremy and I both had Crysis Wars installed and were just waiting to see if any1 wanted to play it but never heard anything. ;P
Oh well it was still really fun! Nice to meet all you guys

More
24 Feb 2010 17:41 #2191 by Dreyvas
Oh, crap. Well, we'll have to get a nice big game of Crysis Wars going at the next LAN, then!

More
24 Feb 2010 17:47 #2192 by garfi3ld
I also had it installed, plus it was still installed on the server

Wes

More
24 Feb 2010 17:53 #2193 by Dreyvas
Yeah, I don't think I really said much when we started playing. I was still kind of pissed off that nobody would join Cod4, so I didn't figure anyone would want to play CW either, since almost everyone was in a game of dota at the time.

More
24 Feb 2010 18:46 #2195 by Davey_Boy
Pissy lil fellow ;)
You know I'm always up for any game out there! Just holler and it's on like Donkey Kong!!

More
24 Feb 2010 18:53 #2196 by Dreyvas
Haha, didn't want to interrupt your dota. Next time it'll be game on.

More
24 Feb 2010 19:12 #2197 by garfi3ld
no need to be pissed because not everyone wanted to play the same game you wanted to play. It happens to everyone at some point.

Wes

More
24 Feb 2010 19:37 #2198 by Twodavez
I figured since most of the Dota games i was running were filling up, that everyone was playing something already... I guess people just need to promote more for the next game when there isn't a tentative schedule posted of suggested games. Not that i cared, but i saw some people playing Uno on one PC, or another guy playing a single player game. There were even a few on Wow or other types of those games. People have moods when they wanna play a certian game and when they just dont want to think so hard and play something easier for a little bit. Just need to keep yelling out games, and going person to person to find out if people are willing to play.
The squeeky wheel gets the grease! Maybe you need to squeek more :-)

More
24 Feb 2010 20:24 #2199 by Lersar
I think we need to decide on one medium to advertise games and stick with it. I know it sounds funny, since by all means simply standing up and yelling should work, but obviously it doesn't, since I'm another who would have been more than game for Crysis.

Josh you mentioned BORGChat, which admittedly was dead at several points in during the LAN. I think that the downfall to it is that the notifications of new conversations is so weak, its hard to notice the little icon in the corner, especially if you're running Windows 7 and it's not set to show all the time, as I found out.

We kinda toyed with everyone joining the LanOC Steam group chat, which is ideal for sending invites, letting people know who's playing what, and even lets people join it. Plus, it should highlight the window on any OS plus pop-up in games that are Steam based, which 5/6 of the mini games were.

Like I said, whatever we decide on we need to stick with it, and we need the support of others, too. It doesn't do any good for the staff to sit in a chat room that only has staff in it.

More
24 Feb 2010 20:30 #2202 by Davey_Boy
Maybe advertise a chat system that you're gonna use prior to the lan. Then when ppl are setting up make sure that they are running the chat system. Idk, that's always the hardest thing to keep up during a larger scale lan so I can see why it happened. Not anybodies fault really it's just one of those things that just happens. =)

More
24 Feb 2010 21:10 #2204 by Dreyvas

garfi3ld wrote: no need to be pissed because not everyone wanted to play the same game you wanted to play. It happens to everyone at some point.

It had nothing to do with the specific game I wanted to play. It was just because nobody seemed to want to do anything but play rts, which I'm not particularly into.

Like I said, I'll just bring a bullhorn next time since I obviously wasn't yelling loud enough, heh.

More
24 Feb 2010 21:59 #2206 by garfi3ld
I'm all for using steam chat like i brought up at the lan.

Wes

More
24 Feb 2010 22:42 #2207 by Dreyvas
Steam chat does sound like a pretty good solution.

More
24 Feb 2010 22:57 #2208 by Davey_Boy
Then we need a list of everybody's user names...cause I only have Adam, Josh, and Jeremy.

More
24 Feb 2010 23:07 #2209 by Dreyvas
Actually, all you'll have to do is join the Steam group chat. Everyone will already be in there, and you can friend request whoever you want, but you'll be able to talk to everyone and see what everyone is playing without even being their friend. :D

We have 1718 guests and no members online

supportus