LanOC 5.5 Mini Lan Feb 20th 2010

More
24 Feb 2010 23:08 #2210 by Dreyvas
Unless you're just saying you need to know who people actually are. In that case, yeah, haha.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2010 23:22 #2211 by Davey_Boy
The whole knowing who everybody is would def help out haha
Then I'm not calling them by their screen name when I actually talk to them in person ;)

More
24 Feb 2010 23:26 #2212 by garfi3ld

Dreyvas wrote: Steam chat does sound like a pretty good solution.

yeah, i wish it had the file sharing integration that borg chat has though.

Wes

More
25 Feb 2010 00:08 #2213 by Davey_Boy
I feel dumb asking this but...how would file sharing help us for organizing games? or doesn't it? idk lol I'm lost by this comment

More
25 Feb 2010 00:12 #2214 by garfi3ld
it doesn't help organization of gameplay, i was just pointing out one of the upsides to borgchat that by using steam chat we will loose.

Wes

More
25 Feb 2010 00:13 #2215 by Davey_Boy
Oh ok. got'cha ;)

More
25 Feb 2010 02:56 #2216 by Lersar
That was a big up side to BORG; even when I was having issues with my old computer with seeing the network, they would all still show up and were accessible through BORG.

I didn't really get a chance to show you it David, but when you're in BORGChat, you can right click on users and view their shared files right there in the application, and can even share them over the chat room.

More
25 Feb 2010 11:28 #2218 by Dreyvas
BORG chat is awesome like that.

More
25 Feb 2010 14:06 #2219 by Twodavez
Yeah, but unless your not doing anything else but watch Borg Chat, you have no idea people are talking on it about starting a game of something. I still liked the idea of having a tentative schedule so that people would look at the clock and think about playing a certian game around that time. Otherwise i've seen a posterboard or dry-erase board that showed game servers that were up and the IP's they were at so that people know which servers were available which helped guide people into playing certain games. I do'nt think there is a perfect system, but just some suggestions on how it could be done, then just figuring out which works for our group.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
25 Feb 2010 16:04 #2220 by garfi3ld
yeah Dave, thats why it Borgchat wont work for us. I also like the schedule idea.. but when we have tried it we had groups that decided to not follow it.

We can try the dry erase board also

Wes

More
25 Feb 2010 16:49 #2221 by Dreyvas
I didn't really notice anyone following the schedule when we tried it.

More
25 Feb 2010 16:53 #2222 by Lersar

Dreyvas wrote: I didn't really notice anyone following the schedule when we tried it.

Exactly. And the frustrating thing about it was that people would end up playing a game that was scheduled, but they would play it a few hours later when everyone was trying to get players for something else. I think people should be free to do what they want at a LAN, but to some extent we do need some coordination, or we'll just keep running into the same problem.

More
25 Feb 2010 18:50 #2223 by Twodavez
The schedule doesn't need to be followed to the T, it's just nice that after you finish a game of whatever, you can check and say, wow it's 4 pm, there should be a game of TF2 going on, i should try to find it (if I want to play it in the 1st place) then you start talking about it and maybe it'll get going. It's not a fool proof thing, but i think it helps give a little structure and a suggestion of what should be going on so that the peopel who are looking forward to Crysis wars can start recruiting and have something to loookin forward to.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
25 Feb 2010 20:05 #2224 by garfi3ld
I think we all agree Dave, im more than willing to try it again. We just know that it didn't work well when we last did it. It works a little better at our main events only because we have raffles and tournements that keep everyone on the schedule a little better.

Wes

More
26 Feb 2010 15:51 #2231 by Davey_Boy
Well, if the board idea doesn't work you could always just have Dave walk around asking ppl if they wanna play a certain game. It worked well for 5.5 lol he got a lot of ppl to play DOTA's
He just walked around saying, "DOTA?...DOTA?...any1 wanna play DOTA?" haha and sure enough he'd get a full group everytime ;)

More
26 Feb 2010 17:20 #2232 by Twodavez
The problem is, i won't be at the next LAN, so someone else will have to recruit for the DOTA games! I think people just need to be more outgoing, but i do understand i'm the exception to the LAN party group norm. I have no problem going up to strangers and asking them what they are playing and if i can hop in, or getting others to try the new game i have. It's a gift and a curse :/ :=D

More
26 Feb 2010 18:38 #2234 by Lersar

Twodavez wrote: The problem is, i won't be at the next LAN

:(

More
26 Feb 2010 20:04 #2235 by Twodavez
Just think, somoene else can win tons of cool stuff and bring a newly built LAN OC sponsored PC to the next mini over the summer! I really can't think of anyone else ot build a PC for, so i would just end up coming, winning tons of cool stuff to build a PC with, then end up selling it on Ebay... :-P

More
27 Feb 2010 00:11 #2237 by Davey_Boy
hahaha Trust me Dave...it's more of a blessing ;)
My older brother is the same way lol bummer you won't be at 6.0 though :(

More
27 Feb 2010 01:09 #2238 by Twodavez
Yeah, well i already scheduled to throw a buddy a bachelor party, so you can count on my having a good time without you guys!
I'll be at Stompfest the week before though, not sure if i'm loud enough to get 150 people to listen to me and play my game, but you know i'll be walking around trying!

We have 1712 guests and one member online

supportus