LanOC open overnight?

More
20 Oct 2009 18:51 #440 by garfi3ld
Ive had a few people ask about keeping the lan overnight to save money. If you are interested in coming and doing this for LanOC v6.0 I need you to post up here and let us know. If this is something that has kept you from coming in the past we really want to know (i know this has been the case for a few people).

I also had someone suggest that we charge 5 bucks to keep it open overnight. Im open to all suggestions :)

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Oct 2009 20:30 #448 by Scootpogo
Replied by Scootpogo on topic RE: LanOC open overnight?
Im just confused if the staying open is for Gaming all night or for a place to crash.

More
20 Oct 2009 20:32 #449 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic RE: LanOC open overnight?
I'm down, don't know if I'd stay ALL night, though.

More
20 Oct 2009 20:41 #452 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic RE: LanOC open overnight?
quite gaming/place to crash

Wes

More
20 Oct 2009 20:55 #455 by Scootpogo
Then i figure the 5 extra dollars to stay there wouldnt be a problem at all saves 40 bucks on a hotel room

More
20 Oct 2009 21:13 #460 by LinkyPwns
Replied by LinkyPwns on topic RE: LanOC open overnight?
I don't think this is a good idea. If you are hosting a two day event everyone is going to be tired after this first day because they didn't get much/if any sleep. The second day everyone will be tired, ready to go home, etc. I wouldn't trust leaving my rig setup overnight anymore either, as someone could easily sneak it out.

More
20 Oct 2009 21:34 #462 by Dreyvas

LinkyPwns wrote: I don't think this is a good idea. If you are hosting a two day event everyone is going to be tired after this first day because they didn't get much/if any sleep. The second day everyone will be tired, ready to go home, etc. I wouldn't trust leaving my rig setup overnight anymore either, as someone could easily sneak it out.

It worked fine last time we did it, it was just that nobody stayed the entire night.

More
20 Oct 2009 22:02 #463 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic RE: LanOC open overnight?

LinkyPwns wrote: I don't think this is a good idea. If you are hosting a two day event everyone is going to be tired after this first day because they didn't get much/if any sleep. The second day everyone will be tired, ready to go home, etc. I wouldn't trust leaving my rig setup overnight anymore either, as someone could easily sneak it out.

I guess i pictured there being someone awake the whole time which would be why there would be a small extra charge to stay the night. I wouldn't be interested in doing this type of thing, but i just wanted to put my 2 cents into the concept. Depending on how many people were interested, you might even be able to hire a security guy that would stand post from 2am - 8 am, as i'm assuming most people will stay till 2 am friday and then would start showing up again after 8 that morning...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
20 Oct 2009 22:09 #466 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic RE: LanOC open overnight?
At Indysmash, hardly anyone left. The floor was covered with people sleeping. At least they had carpet though.

More
20 Oct 2009 23:06 #467 by ZkTaylor
Replied by ZkTaylor on topic RE: LanOC open overnight?
I know for a fact I wouldnt game all night. I would be up for it if we could crash there but that may make things a little inconvenient if people were laying all over the floor like mines.... maybe we could make a contest out of that. See who can hop around between all the sleeping bodies the longest without crushing someone lol.

More
21 Oct 2009 02:54 #485 by garfi3ld
we would have someone there, my number one concern is making sure someones pc doesnt walk out.

Wes

More
21 Oct 2009 03:57 #493 by Scootpogo
or a last man standing for all nighters and dayers

More
21 Oct 2009 04:04 #498 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic RE: LanOC open overnight?
I'm personally excited about this. If you don't want to stay all night then its no different than how it was before, you're not going to miss anything. But its a nice option for those out of town or those who don't get a chance to have marathon gaming sessions outside of lans. *hint hint*. As much as I'd like to say I'd stay up all hours of the night and all day the next day, I prob won't, but the option to crash for a bit there is great.

More
21 Oct 2009 14:00 #521 by Dreyvas
I want to get some people together to get some gold medals on Left 4 Dead challenges and work on achievements before Left 4 Dead 2 comes out. :D

More
21 Oct 2009 14:42 #527 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic RE: LanOC open overnight?

Dreyvas wrote: I want to get some people together to get some gold medals on Left 4 Dead challenges and work on achievements before Left 4 Dead 2 comes out. :D

I am so freakin there. If you want to keep me from sleep, just get L4D going.

More
21 Oct 2009 15:13 #528 by jpwinkis
Replied by jpwinkis on topic RE: LanOC open overnight?

Most multiple day events I have been to run from Day 1 to Day 2 without closing. People are free to A. game the whole event (24 hours, 48 hours 72 hours) B. Go home or to a hotel and sleep during the night. or C. Save money on a hotel and just take naps at the event under your table. It would be nice to have this option as being 2 hours away my only options are drive back home or pay 100 dollars to LAN with most of the money going toward a hotel room for 8 hours. As for leaving your equitment their, Im told, like all LANS a staff memember will be required in the building the whole time (if they stay open they just find some staff willing to stay 8 extra hours at the LAN) for a short window like that. The easiest thing to do is you either take your computer home at 2am, or it stays till 10am. No computers leave the building between 2am and 10am. Thats a thought.

More
21 Oct 2009 15:15 #529 by jpwinkis

garfi3ld wrote: we would have someone there, my number one concern is making sure someones pc doesnt walk out.

Hm, thats a threat no one mentioned. Make sure you Windows KEY L to lock your computer down so it doenst just walk away.

More
21 Oct 2009 15:20 #530 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic RE: LanOC open overnight?
Garfi3ld, maybe you need to merge this topic witht he other one so that we have one place to post comments concerning the over night stay. You've already spelled out the No computers out between 2am - 10 am policy in the other thread.
And JPWinkis, i'm not sure what the "windows KEY L" is...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
21 Oct 2009 16:23 #543 by jpwinkis
Wes said that the computer was going to stand up and walk away so I said WIn Key L to Lock this computer. Its the shortcut instead of CTRL + ALT + DEL and Lock Computer feature. Just password protectes it.

More
21 Oct 2009 19:41 #556 by Shibumi
Replied by Shibumi on topic RE: LanOC open overnight?
I definately support this idea. Its one of the main reasons why I can't go to 5.0 among other things.

Also I wouldn't mind at all to pay an extra 5 bucks to stay overnight. Obviously keep it Quiet gaming only + sleeping. No events or anything going on during those hours, that way once it gets to that time everyone has their own choice. Game all night still, crash on the floor, or go to their hotel room. I think this is the best option for sure.

More
22 Oct 2009 01:22 #572 by garfi3ld
Shibumi i dont know if you caught it but i did announce that we will have v5.0 open all night also

Wes

More
22 Oct 2009 18:19 #609 by Shibumi

garfi3ld wrote: Shibumi i dont know if you caught it but i did announce that we will have v5.0 open all night also

Oh...

Hrm...

Yeah... Maybe I'm going now.

More
22 Oct 2009 18:31 #610 by Dreyvas
Hope to see you there! :D

More
22 Oct 2009 18:32 #612 by Scootpogo
ill be there spam can and all

More
23 Oct 2009 05:23 #647 by garfi3ld

Shibumi wrote:

garfi3ld wrote: Shibumi i dont know if you caught it but i did announce that we will have v5.0 open all night also

Oh...

Hrm...

Yeah... Maybe I'm going now.

great to hear! you also will put up a fighting chance in the case mod contest ;)

Wes

More
28 Oct 2009 00:46 #803 by MurDerFace
I think it worked out very well. There were out of town ppl that slept on the floor and even though it wasnt very soft i still think this was and still is a great option that we should keep doing. I had no issues at all during the night except i was alone....no one to hold me....by myself....but in the end it was a great idea!

Werd up home slice

More
28 Oct 2009 01:24 #812 by Shibumi

AtomikNutSak wrote: I think it worked out very well. There were out of town ppl that slept on the floor and even though it wasnt very soft i still think this was and still is a great option that we should keep doing. I had no issues at all during the night except i was alone....no one to hold me....by myself....but in the end it was a great idea!

pfft, i was the only member up all night. I finally crahsed at like 8am. My loud obnoxious laughter kept you in good company all night and you know it.

More
28 Oct 2009 03:02 #829 by Scootpogo
lol just get half naked girl to hold you next time. ethan doesnt mind he volunteered his last girlfriend to JJ

More
28 Oct 2009 03:03 #830 by garfi3ld
his last gf? lol wait what

Wes

More
28 Oct 2009 03:57 #836 by Scootpogo
i thot he had a different GF at the last lan?

We have 1727 guests and no members online

supportus