NeXus LAN VIII - October 23, 2010

More
03 Oct 2010 09:16 #9913 by renegade
On the subject of hours.

When NeXUs started out it was originaly setup for 10am to 3am but we got overwhelming requests to start later in the day and end later at night. I am talking 30+ requests.

Also starting at 10am we would go till around 2-3 pm before people would start showing up, so the staff would be sitting there doing nothing really with just a couple of people there.

So the hours were changed to 2pm to 6am. This also gave the staff the ability to sleep in the day of the lan and not have to be there at 7am in the morning to get setup etc which the staff really liked that idea.

We would like to run 24 hours but right now it just does not work with the venue that we have as there is only 1 venue rep that can be there and the venue requires him to be there and awake the entire LAN. So asking him to be up etc for over 24 hours is not going to work.

Making suggestions on changes to hours would be looked at if enough wanted it and it worked with the venue / staff etc, but I have not seen anyone suggest other hours just make statements they don't like the current ones.

If you have suggestions to the hours make a post in on the NeXus forums with your suggestions etc and see how it goes.

So thats the reason for the current hours in a nut shell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2010 20:01 #9923 by Wingless92
I like the starting later thing but going till 6am is crazy. I'm going to bring a couple of pillows and a blanket and catch some zzz's in the backseat of my car.

It's almost not even worth it to get a hotel room cause of the hours. That's the problem, poeple driving tired as poop.

I totally understand about the staff not wanting to wake up early but without people coming to your LAN it's just another get together. It's hard to balance, I know that. You want to keep the staff happy and you want to keep the LAN'ers happy but you have to come to some sort of agreement. Not sure what it is but 6am is nuts.

It seems like you just need a new venue. If you can't have the current place for more than 24 hours with someone there then that is a problem. I like how LanOC does it. I get there a day early for setup. Go to bed. Wake up and game till about 3. Back to sleep. Wake up for more gaming till 6pm then drive home. Sure i'm tired on Sunday, who isn't? But atleast I have a time to take a shower so I don't smell like shit stains and I have some time to relax.

Your between a rock and a hard place I know. I will not pass judgement until it's over. Hell, this might be the best thing. We will see.

Getting all of my stuff in for my new LAN rig and it will be ready for NeXus. Should be a great time.

More
03 Oct 2010 22:44 #9930 by Nacelle
I'm not sure why you're bringing the time thing back up after so long. It's obvious that the regulars like the hours. With the drive home being so long, I'm not staying until 6am. The last time I did, I don't remember most of the drive. Dieing in a car accident, because I fell asleep, isn't something I would consider worth staying up that late for.

More
03 Oct 2010 22:55 #9931 by renegade
Not bring it up after so long last night was the 1st I read this thread. It was brought up recently on the NeXus forums as well. So I thought I would post and expain why the hours were what they are right now.

And if people would of shown up early when we started at 10am I am sure we would still be runnig 10am to 3am but the main point was why start at 10am when less then 5 would show up at that time an 95% of the rest would not start comming in till 2-3pm.

So all I was doing was just posting here as to why the hours are what they are etc.

Was not trying to start anything etc

More
03 Oct 2010 23:10 #9932 by garfi3ld
Although I would much rather see this kind of discussion on the Nexus forums. I did want to add from my point of view having run our lans for the past few years. The first time we tried an overnight event we had no turnout, mostly because we had more local attendees than people from out of town. As we have grown attendees have changed and we gave in and retried being open overnight. This turned out to be a good decision for us. My point being that sometimes your crowd or situation changes. We have changed our hours multiple times trying to keep up with these changes. After this event you should consider getting a little more feedback, maybe the demand has changed, maybe it hasn't.

Best of luck, I am still waiting to find out if I will be able to make it. Ether way we are sponsoring the event with a few prizes, although I haven't seen anything about this being posted on the Nexus forums.

Wes

More
04 Oct 2010 03:12 #9936 by Wingless92

Nacelle wrote: I'm not staying until 6am.

I can drive you home if you want sweetheart, lol.

Doubtfull i'll stay that long either, but you never know. I may not want to leave!

More
04 Oct 2010 03:17 #9937 by Nacelle

Wingless92 wrote: I can drive you home if you want sweetheart, lol.

Really? That would be the bee's knees.

More
04 Oct 2010 04:00 #9938 by Wingless92
What time are you going to show up? Save me a seat next to you if you can. Now that i've sat next to Nacelle I can't be far away or i'll cry, lol.

Should be a fun time. Good time to test out the new rig.

More
04 Oct 2010 04:03 #9939 by Nacelle
We'll be there when the doors open. It's gonna be hard to fight back everyone who wants to sit next to me, but I'll do my best. :)

More
04 Oct 2010 04:14 #9940 by Twodavez
Save me a seat also, still working on JJ being able to come, and i hope to con dave & amy to come, we'll see though...
Looking forward to the LAN

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
04 Oct 2010 19:07 #9997 by CrazyBillyBob
I've signed up and paid.... Should be fun it's only a 4hr drive for me! Couple of Rockstar/Bawls combos and I'll be good! :huh: :sick: :woohoo: :blink:

CBB

More
04 Oct 2010 22:29 - 04 Oct 2010 22:31 #10005 by Action
Hi all, I don't want anyone driving tired so I recommend for people with long drives to get a hotel room. That is what I do when I go to LAN OC (or almost all out of town lans I go to). I know LANOC you can still LAN some more once you check out of the hotel but that was not always the case and it also does not mean you can't hang out and do stuff in Dayton/Cinci area the next day.

I am sure people can get together and split the cost of rooms, etc. I know that is what others do. You can get nice rooms really low cost down here too. You just might have to drive out of the downtown area a bit. I recommend the hotels around Miller Lane. That way when you wake up you will have all types of food options. Plus there are really low cost hotels there. CyTog might also have good hotel recommendations.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2010 22:31 by Action.

More
04 Oct 2010 23:10 #10006 by Twodavez
:)

CrazyBillyBob wrote: I've signed up and paid.... Should be fun it's only a 4hr drive for me! Couple of Rockstar/Bawls combos and I'll be good! :huh: :sick: :woohoo: :blink:

CBB

Only a 4 hour drive :pinch: where you coming from? It's only 2.5 from Fort Wayne, IN.
I have no problem driving tired as long as the sun is up. If anything i'd suggest ending the lan around 8 am so that it's at least light out when people are driving home. Also in the past people usually start packing up around 3/3:30 so it's not getting light until i actually get home :(

Also if anyone is interested in Car-pooling, i could make a stop through Ohio City, or we could meet up somewhere in Fort Wayne to drive together. I only ask for a little Gas money, or i could give you Gas money B)

And Thanks LAN OC for Letting us take over your site to discuss other LAN parties. It shows your a good sport in supporting the LAN community!:)

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
04 Oct 2010 23:14 #10007 by garfi3ld
I love seeing the other lans posted up on here. Its about the only way I know whats coming up. I am still hoping to be able to make it, I would be happy to car pool if that was the case. I am also looking for someone to be able to transport sponsor items down to their lan

Wes

More
05 Oct 2010 00:52 #10011 by CrazyBillyBob

Twodavez wrote: :)
Only a 4 hour drive :pinch: where you coming from? It's only 2.5 from Fort Wayne, IN.

I'm coming from Carrollton, Ohio (It's almost on the Ohio PA line, just one county away :) )
It's 2.5 hours to Columbus.....Then on to Dayton... 4 hours is Google maps time, I know I can make it faster :evil: Just don't ask my speed :whistle: :woohoo:

More
05 Oct 2010 09:32 - 05 Oct 2010 09:33 #10017 by shocka

garfi3ld wrote: I am also looking for someone to be able to transport sponsor items down to their lan

I'll transport them down and then take them home with me, HEHE :kiss:!

Xfire: bigdizzl3 | Steam: wwweeezzzyyy
Last edit: 05 Oct 2010 09:33 by shocka.

More
09 Oct 2010 09:11 - 09 Oct 2010 09:11 #10174 by Cra2hgirl
Only two weeks until the LAN...Woot. Be sure to pre-register if you haven't already so that you are entered in the pre-reg contest!
www.nexuslan.org/registration.php
Last edit: 09 Oct 2010 09:11 by Cra2hgirl.

We have 1765 guests and no members online

supportus