RIP LanOhio

More
28 Aug 2012 16:26 #27573 by CrazyBillyBob
RIP LanOhio was created by CrazyBillyBob
Just Tossing this out. The Folks over at www.LanOhio.com are pulling the plug. After hosting Lan parties for a Dozen or so years, their done. The Plug gets pulled on the Website and the Forums on the 1st of Sept. Many of you know the Noisy Group that Goes by Team Waffle Train at LANOC We all started @ LANOHIO. While Lanohio may go quite you can rest Assured that Team Waffle Train Will not :) (Storage!!!!)

If you have an account ( admins have closed it to new members) drop by and Give LanOhio a final Send off.

Most of the LanOhio/ Team Waffle Train guys already are semi-active (or Hyper-active :) ) members of the LAN OC forums... So we'll be here till Wes kicks out.

CBB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Aug 2012 16:40 #27575 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic RIP LanOhio
Is this the group that hosted the monthly LAN parties, and also the people who had some gear stolen (projectors...) at one of their LANs? i'm just trying to think back and wondering why i never attended any of their events, but if it's the monthly/semi-monthly LANs, i do'nt think they ever fit into my schedule to attend.

I think it's crazy with the invent of new LANs and the growth we've been seeing in Nexus and LAN OC that a LAN would actually go out of business and cease to exist.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
28 Aug 2012 16:59 #27576 by trgtprctc
Replied by trgtprctc on topic RIP LanOhio
Locations and event hours are significant factors in the long term success of a LAN, and LANOhio struggled in these areas over the last few years. The strong leadership and staff in LanOC and Nexus have been critical to their success. Got to have someone willing to put in the long hours behind the scenes to keep the events running successfully.

More
28 Aug 2012 17:32 #27580 by CrazyBillyBob
Replied by CrazyBillyBob on topic RIP LanOhio

Twodavez wrote: Is this the group that hosted the monthly LAN parties, and also the people who had some gear stolen (projectors...) at one of their LANs? i'm just trying to think back and wondering why i never attended any of their events, but if it's the monthly/semi-monthly LANs, i do'nt think they ever fit into my schedule to attend.

I think it's crazy with the invent of new LANs and the growth we've been seeing in Nexus and LAN OC that a LAN would actually go out of business and cease to exist.

They did not have any thefts at their lans (if there were it was like mice or something unreported...and very long ago).
The Lan that lost the projectors was Wimpy's in Columbus. I think there were "Other" factors in that lans collapse as well as the cost of the equipment.

TP is correct, The Core admin group at LANOHIO has changed focus. Many have families and other responsibilities. It was mostly a lose group effort without a strong leader. It just sorta puttered out the last few years.

I'm not sure how many folks understand how much work it really is to run a good Lan (with sponsors and events etc). The actual event is crazy and chaotic but it's the easy part of it. behind the scenes it's hundreds of phone calls, emails and hours of paperwork to get and then to keep the sponsors happy. At one time sponsors would ship things no questions asked. the last few years it's gotten harder to get sponsors and then they have a lot of requirements they want you to meet to get free stuff.
It blows my mind when I look at the network of folks that Wes has developed for LANOC.

More
28 Aug 2012 17:43 #27581 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic RIP LanOhio

CrazyBillyBob wrote: I'm not sure how many folks understand how much work it really is to run a good Lan (with sponsors and events etc). The actual event is crazy and chaotic but it's the easy part of it. behind the scenes it's hundreds of phone calls, emails and hours of paperwork to get and then to keep the sponsors happy. At one time sponsors would ship things no questions asked. the last few years it's gotten harder to get sponsors and then they have a lot of requirements they want you to meet to get free stuff.
It blows my mind when I look at the network of folks that Wes has developed for LANOC.

I always thought it was funny that we had that one network card maker that had a little paragraph or two that was to be read everytime the item was given away. I think it was Killer, all i remember about them is the baller necklace they sent with them. It was an interesting product idea, and their marketing team really had their stuff together to require their commercial to be read at the LAN...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
28 Aug 2012 18:05 #27582 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic RIP LanOhio
CBB I sent you a PM about something else. But I would also love to offer up adding a group or clans section in our forum and make a lanohio or teamwaffletrain subforum. The same offer goes for anyone else at all who is interested. I've offer this up to a few other groups in the past, we would love to have you.

Wes

We have 1795 guests and no members online

supportus