PC Tech Position

More
28 Mar 2012 17:02 #24340 by Twodavez
PC Tech Position was created by Twodavez
I work for STAR Financial Bank and we are currently hiring a PC Technician.

General Summary:
This position is responsible for supporting and maintaining in-house computer systems and peripherals. This includes installing, diagnosing, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading hardware and software while ensuring optimal performance.

Education/ Experience:
Associates degree in computer science or equivalent experience; must have Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician (MCDST). Minimum of one year PC support experience.
Three or more years experience in a PC support role. Additional Microsoft and/or networking certifications are a plus.

Skills Needed:
Exceptional customer service skills; demonstrated technical knowledge of network and PC hardware; hands-on hardware troubleshooting experience; strong knowledge of current network protocols, operating systems, and standards, especially TCP/IP.; strong written and oral communication skills; proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.

Equal Opportunity Employer M\F\D\V

We're very dedicated to Technology for a bank, so room for advancement would be good as the bank is still growing. Position based out of the Service Center located off Bluffton Road just north of the FW International Airport.

I know they are currently interviewing people, so i'm not sure how much longer they will be in this phase of the hiring process, so hop on it now if your intested. If you could provide me a resume, i can forward it onto the head of the department. my email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or you could go onto www.starfinancial.com/ and fill out an App, then let me know so i can let HR know that you've applied.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Mar 2012 22:02 #24344 by Arxon
Replied by Arxon on topic Re: PC Tech Position
Bah still in school and don't have my MCDST

More
28 Mar 2012 23:45 #24347 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Replied by L0rdG1gabyt3 on topic Re: PC Tech Position
Interesting.... I meet all requirements... except the certs. :(

More
29 Mar 2012 01:40 #24349 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: PC Tech Position
Microsoft cert requirements FTL

More
29 Mar 2012 04:13 #24351 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re: PC Tech Position
YEah, we're pretty up on the latest technology, so i guess that means we're allowed to be picky in that department. Sorry to hear you guys don't have that piece of paper that says you know how to do somethign i'm sure you already know how to do. Maybe it'll drive you to obtain it and be ready for the next opportunity. That's why i'm going back to school, even though i have 9 years of banking experience, it's that piece of paper to prove i'm as smart as i really am... Silly yes, but i think this is the way the world is going to work going forward.

I actually heard on the radio that Indiand wants to increase their college graduation rates to ensure more people have degrees. It's becoming the new H.S. diploma and gets your foot in the door.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
29 Mar 2012 08:43 #24356 by Plague
Replied by Plague on topic Re: PC Tech Position

Arxon wrote: don't have my MCDST

That is the only thing I would been missing also. :(

More
29 Mar 2012 19:21 #24363 by Reaper
Replied by Reaper on topic Re: PC Tech Position

Twodavez wrote: Maybe it'll drive you to obtain it and be ready for the next opportunity.

I was going to reply to this point and say that obtaining/maintaining IT certs itself almost requires a part-time job to finance as they are often replaced/outdated/updated... but MCDST fell right into my reasoning :laugh: ... MCDST is retired as of June 30, 2011. You will not see new MCDST's, and those listing it on their resume are listing something irrelevant.

www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcdst.aspx#tab2

Perhaps part of the application process was to point that out? If so, do I win ? :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Davey_Boy

More
29 Mar 2012 19:30 #24364 by Dreyvas

Reaper wrote:

Twodavez wrote: Maybe it'll drive you to obtain it and be ready for the next opportunity.

I was going to reply to this point and say that obtaining/maintaining IT certs itself almost requires a part-time job to finance as they are often replaced/outdated/updated... but MCDST fell right into my reasoning :laugh: ... MCDST is retired as of June 30, 2011. You will not see new MCDST's, and those listing it on their resume are listing something irrelevant.

www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcdst.aspx#tab2

Perhaps part of the application process was to point that out? If so, do I win ? :P

Hahaha. So much for up on the latest technology, eh? :P

More
29 Mar 2012 21:14 #24370 by Twodavez
Ha ha, well i guess that's why i'm in the Loan Compliance area and not the Technology department.

Thanks for the correction there Reaper. And Dreyvas, you're the one in the field that didn't point this out first, so there! J/K ;)

More
29 Mar 2012 21:18 #24372 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: PC Tech Position
Hey Dave thank you for posting this up. I don't think there is a better way to give back to the community than a chance to get a good job!

Wes

More
29 Mar 2012 21:23 #24373 by Twodavez

garfi3ld wrote: Hey Dave thank you for posting this up. I don't think there is a better way to give back to the community than a chance to get a good job!

I remember posting another job at the last bank i was at also. I guess it's not a type of company that IT people think about looking at for Jobs, but i think it's sometimes some of the best jobs because they can walk in and be the expert and move up quickly, instead of being the absolute bottom of the barrel in a huge outsourcing IT company...

What about creating a job's section of the website. I figure since we all game together we should help eachother out. with out that big promotion in moving into another job, how are we to afford the latest PC's to game on? ha ha

More
29 Mar 2012 21:25 #24374 by Dreyvas

Twodavez wrote: Ha ha, well i guess that's why i'm in the Loan Compliance area and not the Technology department.

Thanks for the correction there Reaper. And Dreyvas, you're the one in the field that didn't point this out first, so there! J/K ;)

Lol, yeah. We have a total of one Windows machine at my office, and that's a terminal server we all use for a firewall management GUI that doesn't run on Linux. Never sat for a Microsoft cert in my life, and I don't plan on it any time soon. :D

More
29 Mar 2012 23:29 #24382 by Reaper
Replied by Reaper on topic Re: PC Tech Position

Dreyvas wrote:

Twodavez wrote: Lol, yeah. We have a total of one Windows machine at my office, and that's a terminal server we all use for a firewall management GUI that doesn't run on Linux. Never sat for a Microsoft cert in my life, and I don't plan on it any time soon. :D

Man, I hear that! And let me guess is it the Cisco ASA/PIX management software?? But yeah, Linux certs are pretty useful because.... not much has changed in the last 10 years. On the other hand, when we went from using a Win2k3 server to 2k8, it was like taking at least a few features from every package and flipping it around so it works totally different. There is next to no consistency in MS products...

More
29 Mar 2012 23:48 - 29 Mar 2012 23:49 #24383 by Dreyvas

Reaper wrote:

Dreyvas wrote: Lol, yeah. We have a total of one Windows machine at my office, and that's a terminal server we all use for a firewall management GUI that doesn't run on Linux. Never sat for a Microsoft cert in my life, and I don't plan on it any time soon. :D

Man, I hear that! And let me guess is it the Cisco ASA/PIX management software?? But yeah, Linux certs are pretty useful because.... not much has changed in the last 10 years. On the other hand, when we went from using a Win2k3 server to 2k8, it was like taking at least a few features from every package and flipping it around so it works totally different. There is next to no consistency in MS products...

Check Point, actually. We manage all our Cisco gear via command line. But yeah. :D
Last edit: 29 Mar 2012 23:49 by Dreyvas.

More
30 Mar 2012 20:14 #24401 by Wingcmdr77
Replied by Wingcmdr77 on topic Re: PC Tech Position
Even though the post says its required for the position. I'd think some H.R. people and IT
Managers might over look that if they like what they see on the resume. I wouldnt completely
count it out. Perhaps if someone did get an interview with them, they could say that as
a condition of employment they'd get the certification on their own time by X amount of time?

Maybe I'm not being realistic but who knows, it might be worth a shot?

More
31 Mar 2012 00:53 #24409 by Dreyvas

Wingcmdr77 wrote: Even though the post says its required for the position. I'd think some H.R. people and IT
Managers might over look that if they like what they see on the resume. I wouldnt completely
count it out. Perhaps if someone did get an interview with them, they could say that as
a condition of employment they'd get the certification on their own time by X amount of time?

Maybe I'm not being realistic but who knows, it might be worth a shot?

The cert is retired and can no longer be obtained.

More
31 Mar 2012 03:04 #24411 by technobear
Replied by technobear on topic Re: PC Tech Position
My interview is Tuesday. Thanks much TwoDavez for bringing this to our attention and helping me by passing the resume on! If this works out i owe you a beer or lunch or pop or something for sure!!

Anyway, well see how the interview goes!

More
31 Mar 2012 09:53 #24413 by Myndmelt
Replied by Myndmelt on topic Re: PC Tech Position
I'd be interested in this but I do not have MCDST. I was studying for it but then Windows 7 came out so I abandoned it and now I'm working on my MCP/MCITP. Also if anyone wants free basic cert training check out www.professormesser.com/

Free videos you can watch online plus he has study groups and questions of the day stuff like that. Its all free he only asks people to pay if they want the videos on dvd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L0rdG1gabyt3

More
04 Apr 2012 03:46 #24468 by technobear
Replied by technobear on topic Re: PC Tech Position
Went to the interview... didnt ask me once about Certs... though 5years prof exp may trump that *shrug* nice guys it seems.. company seems cool Good luck to the other candidates this will be a good job for someone.

More
06 Apr 2012 00:48 #24519 by Myndmelt
Replied by Myndmelt on topic Re: PC Tech Position
Nice, good luck with that. Maybe some people put in the cert to scare off wanna be's. I have like 13+ years of IT/Tech Support experience. (I still won't be applying though).

We have 2028 guests and no members online

supportus