Anyone know much about headsets?

More
03 Nov 2010 20:18 #11705 by Leonresevil2
So I'm looking to get a quality headset, and there are a LOT of details and features that I don't know much about and what to look for. Surround sound is obviously good, but headphone frequency response? Microphone impedance? Signal to Noise ratio? Connector types (not sure what 1 mm difference makes, or if USB is just the best option), headphone and microphone sensitivity, and all these different elements... I'm not sure what is the normal, what is good, and what the differences mean. If anyone knows what to look for in a headset, I'd love to have some advice, even if it's just some links to look into. I figure that higher cost tends to make it better, but I'd prefer to know what it is exactly that I am spending my money on.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Nov 2010 21:19 #11732 by garfi3ld
Surround sound is obviously good
Switching between Surround Sound and a standard setup really depends on what you plan on using the headset for. Surround sound is ideal for gaming, but stereo allows for better music quality. Having to pack multiple speakers in each ear cup limits what they can do
but headphone frequency response?

Microphone impedance?
Lower is better and normally indicates a higher quality microphone. It really doesn't effect to much until you get into longer cabling though. Not normally an issue with headsets

Signal to Noise ratio?
This is fairly obvious but it is the ratio of signal in relation to the noise in Decibels. The higher the number the less background noise you will find.

Connector types
3.5mm is the way to go. 3.5 is for some phones, 6.5 is used in home and professional audio equipment :)

is USB the best option
USB means the sound card is built in. The built in USB sound cards normally have about the same quality as the built in audio on your motherboard. I personally hate them. I would much rather be able to swap my headset out without having to install or run any other software. THe upside is if you have standard onboard audio USB headsets sometimes have a few more features as far as voice morphing and other similar things. It seems a lot of the USB headsets use generic and sometimes buggy software, but that experience depends entirely on the headset.

headphone and microphone sensitivity

Higher sensitivity means louder. Sensitivity is a measure of how many decibels are produced for each mW, the higher the sensitivity the more efficient your headset is at outputting sound.

Wes

More
03 Nov 2010 22:09 #11770 by Leonresevil2
Great info, good to know about the USB issue. I was considering getting a set with USB so I could do PC or console, but I may just seek out an adapter to USB. Since it would be for my gaming rig, I'll probably go surround sound. I'm looking at a Tritton AX that I have a coupon for at Best Buy, should bring it to $100. It looks like a great item, and has great reviews everywhere, but is that a reasonable price for a headset? I've had headphones break down on me, and I didn't know how well headsets tend to last over time.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
03 Nov 2010 22:30 #11783 by garfi3ld
maybe I have missed something but how would you use the usb headsets on your consoles?

Generally you have to use different adapters to hook them up to your headset. For example Tritton uses a controller box and steel series has an adapter that hooks into your controller and tv for audio.

The same goes for turtle beach headsets

www.turtlebeach.com/products/xbox-gaming...s/ear-force-x11.aspx

$100 is about right for a good headset, just make sure you get something that is going to be comfortable too you. Every headset feals different and noone likes the same thing. Comfort trumps audio quality when you plan on sitting down for hours at a time playing a game or even watching movies.

Wes

More
07 Nov 2010 23:21 #11977 by garfi3ld
bump

Wes

More
08 Nov 2010 00:01 #11982 by Dreyvas
It sounds ghetto, but I just bought a nice set of Grados online and a $10 boom mic from Walmart. Zero issues, and both music and games sound amazing. Haven't had any desire for a normal headset since.

More
08 Nov 2010 00:48 #11987 by garfi3ld
I wouldn't call Grados's ghetto lol

Wes

More
08 Nov 2010 00:54 #11988 by Dreyvas
Yeah, I just meant that pairing an expensive pair of headphones with such a cheap microphone is kinda ghetto. The mic does work really well though, it's Logitech.

More
08 Nov 2010 04:23 #11992 by L0rdG1gabyt3
I went to Meijer and picked up a Plantronics headset for $21. As far as I can tell, the sound quality is pretty good both in games and for music. The mic sounds good as far as I know. I have talked to both Wingless92 and garfi3ld on the Vent server, and neither one of them has complained. Very comfortable, over the ear. Inline volume control with mic mute, 8' cord.

We have 1960 guests and one member online

supportus