Windows OS

• Kelf
  • Kelf's Avatar Topic Author
  • Hear reason, or she'll make you feel her.
More
24 Jun 2011 04:57 #16274 by Kelf
Windows OS was created by Kelf
Well I recently reformatted my desktop about a month or two ago and have been playing on it a lot. I hadn't used it since i joined the army almost two years ago and when i had it last it had windows vista (ew, right?) So i got a copy of 7 from a friend and installed. He recommended just dealing with the constant activate now nagware from windows and it would basically work for free. But Microsoft is persistent, and the woman messed it up while i was at work so windows knows my stuff is teh fakes. So is there anyway to get a legit copy without having to pay full price? I do not want to have to pay for it when it wouldnt let me upgrade from vista to 7. So any suggestions? Any one with an extra key that wants to help a fellow gamer out? :) lol or know if Microsoft would be willing to give a military discount to a gamer in the military?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jun 2011 05:07 #16276 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Re: Windows OS
You can pick the OEM for $100 from Newegg. They also run specials around the internet for it.

You could always just install it and never put a code in.

More
24 Jun 2011 06:57 #16281 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Replied by L0rdG1gabyt3 on topic Re: Windows OS

Wingless92 wrote: You can pick the OEM for $100 from Newegg. They also run specials around the internet for it.

You could always just install it and never put a code in.

You could do that, or if its cheaper to get an upgrade version... here is how you "clean install" it.

Boot from the Upgrade disc and do a clean install. It will NOT let you activate. It will tell you your key is invalid, because its looking for a registry key or something that indicates its been upgraded.
Now here is the magical part! Boot into Windows.... Put your upgrade disc in, and tell it to upgrade. So what is going on now, is you are upgrading your clean install, with the same disc you just installed with.
When its done, you can activate and all is happy in Windows land.

I have performed this procedure many times at the shop, and I suppose it is perfectly legal. You are not using any hacks or illicit keys.

Good luck!

More
24 Jun 2011 07:09 #16282 by garfi3ld

• Kelf
More
25 Jun 2011 19:49 #16312 by Kelf
Replied by Kelf on topic Re: Windows OS
So i was trolling (imagine that)in the for sale forums and saw cytog selling 2 80g raptors for 30 bones a piece or 50 for the pair. then i used his link and found frys.com or whatever selling them for 50 bucks. So I think it would be a good idea to buy one, put it in my system and re-install windows and make it work right this time. Anyone agree? disagree? anything?

More
25 Jun 2011 20:23 #16313 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Replied by L0rdG1gabyt3 on topic Re: Windows OS
For a bit more, you might as well get the 300GB one from Newegg.com for 129.99

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item...22-136-322-_-Product

• Kelf
More
25 Jun 2011 21:04 #16314 by Kelf
well yeah but its almost triple the price and i just want something to bump my speed is all i don't need the actual space and right now moneys a little tight and that costs almost triple. ;)

More
26 Jun 2011 01:19 #16317 by Wingless92
Kelf, if you are going to do it, do it right. I know that you are on a budget and you don't wanna spend big $$$. I would do an SSD like THIS ONE.

I would do this over a Raptor. I have one and yes the are good but they don't hold a candle to an SSD.

SSD or nothing at all.

• Kelf
More
26 Jun 2011 01:56 #16318 by Kelf
are they really THAT much better? and thanks for the advice I may do that

More
26 Jun 2011 02:35 #16319 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: Windows OS
yes

Wes

More
26 Jun 2011 04:36 #16320 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: Windows OS

garfi3ld wrote: yes

Seconded!!!! I would never not have one on my main rig. Nice double negative. BTW, I have one for sale too.

More
26 Jun 2011 05:13 #16321 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: Windows OS

Wingless92 wrote: Kelf, if you are going to do it, do it right. I know that you are on a budget and you don't wanna spend big $$$. I would do an SSD like THIS ONE.

I would do this over a Raptor. I have one and yes the are good but they don't hold a candle to an SSD.

SSD or nothing at all.

Not to be the voice of dissent, but with the incredibly short life cycles of most SSDs, I'd think they'd be the last route to take for someone with a limited budget. Sure you might be able to warranty it out, but if you're low on funds that'd probably leave you dead in the water for as long as that process took.

More
26 Jun 2011 05:28 - 26 Jun 2011 05:31 #16322 by Wingless92
They used to be short but it depends on what flash chips they use. From listening and reading reviews they now last about 5+ years on average. You'll upgrade your machine before you need another one. For the price they can't be beat.

An SSD is a better upgrade than RAM at this point. Then again, most people run 4gb anyways.

I put one in a build that is used just for stock trading, no gaming. The customer pretty much agrees and wouldn't go back.

They make such a HUGE difference in just day to day computing. As of today there is no reason not have one, end of story.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2011 05:31 by Wingless92.

More
26 Jun 2011 06:13 #16323 by garfi3ld

Dreyvas wrote:

Wingless92 wrote: Kelf, if you are going to do it, do it right. I know that you are on a budget and you don't wanna spend big $$$. I would do an SSD like THIS ONE.

SSD or nothing at all.

Not to be the voice of dissent, but with the incredibly short life cycles of most SSDs, I'd think they'd be the last route to take for someone with a limited budget. Sure you might be able to warranty it out, but if you're low on funds that'd probably leave you dead in the water for as long as that process took.

If he isn't looking to upgrade in the 3 to 5 years they are warrantied he will have more to worry about than his OS drive.

I also should add that those raptors are at best 1/3 as fast as an ssd. There is nothing else you can do to your PC to see that type of improvement. Typically a video card upgrade will give you a 30 or 40 percent jump, nothing like a 300%.

Wes

More
26 Jun 2011 09:34 #16325 by Wingcmdr77
Replied by Wingcmdr77 on topic Re: Windows OS
I agree these SSDs are hot potatoes and cant be beat for speed, but cost/ratio on storage is still very lacking. People use them for the OS I guess and then programs.. With as many games and programs I've got, I'm using 200 gigs of storage just for that. That would be an Expensive SSD. Grant it they have come down a lot, but until they have come down even more for the storage/cost ratio I can't see the point in switching yet. Im happy with 2 500 gb caviar black sata 30 meg raid 0, doesnt do the 400 read/ 200 write like you guys, have but i can transfer files sustained at about 130 or so megs. its fine with me. :)

More
26 Jun 2011 14:25 #16326 by garfi3ld
you install your OS on the SSD and install your programs on that 200

Wes

More
26 Jun 2011 16:51 #16327 by Wingcmdr77
wouldnt you then loose the benefit of faster program load times not being on the same drive?

More
26 Jun 2011 17:40 - 26 Jun 2011 17:41 #16328 by Nacelle
You have to be selective. I have windows, all the programs, and 2 of my favorite games on the SSD. The rest of the games are on a partition that is the fasted part of the 2tb drive that I won at LanOC. The rest of the drive holds all of my data. For most games, you're waiting on your CPU to decompress the textures and stuff. SSDs only help a little. The speed boost you get in windows and apps is VERY noticeable.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2011 17:41 by Nacelle.

More
26 Jun 2011 19:45 #16329 by Wingless92
Like Chris, Wes have said. You don't put everything on it. Just programs that you really use, for me it's Vent, CoreTemp, Chrome, CCleaner, Fraps, MakeMKV and Malwarebytes, that is it. You don't need everything on there either.

I would suggest doing some research first, then you know what your getting into. What kind of speeds to you want. Sata2 or 3 and what kind of brand. Even if you bought the worst SSD on Newegg, its still WAY faster than a Raptor or any other mechanical HDD.

For instance, I have 3 80gb Intel X-25M's in 3 computers. The laptop has shown the biggest improvement. I gained an hour of battery life just switching to an SSD. The thing boots instantly, from off to windows in 12 seconds. The Shuttle will restart faster than your computer will shut down. It will load 50 apps as soon as it hits the desktop with no problem. From cold to Windows in 15 seconds. The big computer that I have is a bit different. It has a bunch of stuff to load when Windows starts. Vent, WHS console, CoreTemp, Chrome, EVGA precision, Steam, My logitech keyboard apps, my logitech headset app. There is just much more for it to do and it boots in 20 seconds from cold to Windows.

The other thing is this. When I say cold to Windows, that doesn't mean oh I have to wait to click on shit either. You click on it and boom its up. I can click on every single app on my desktop and boom their up and running. No waiting for stuff to load was the biggest payoff in my eye's.

Do what you want though. But I can easily say that I will NEVER build another system that doesn't have an SSD regardless of size and other drives for storage. You almost just need to use one with an SSD to see what we are talking about.

What really sucks is when you use it everyday it becomes slower, in your mind because you are use to it. Then you go use a friends PC and it just AWFUL. If really sets you back.

No better upgrade in my eyes then an SSD for overall performance.

More
26 Jun 2011 20:27 #16330 by Wingcmdr77
yes I've read solid state drive info yadda yadda en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive, they are totally superior I never said they werent lol. mine complaint was just that off a cost to storage ratio. soon as they drop a bit more, i'll probably plop about 250 for a decent one on sale and be happy as a clam. but just wish they had the terabyte sizes you can get in Sata drives for the same price. but hey its new tech you've got to wait, let the companies make their money for all the research they did. just like blu-ray burners 3-4 years ago they were around sure, but you and I werent gonna pay a thousand bucks for em. case in point.

More
26 Jun 2011 21:59 #16331 by Nacelle
Why wait? buy a small one now and upgrade when they get cheaper.

More
26 Jun 2011 23:25 #16332 by garfi3ld
I don't think we will ever see SSD's matching the same price and capacity of hard drives.

Wes

• Kelf
More
27 Jun 2011 01:41 #16333 by Kelf
Wow. well a lot of conversation for a little upgrade like this, I have to say though the argument for SSD has been made and I think I will be getting one instead, I hate to ask this seeing as there is already 3 pages of debate over SSD vs HDD but anyone got a recommendation on a good SSD that's relatively "cheap" as far as SSD's go? Should I buy nacelle's? :ohmy:

More
27 Jun 2011 02:02 #16335 by Wingless92
I have the Intel drives, the X25M's where king of the hill then a little company called OCZ came along and stole their thunder. I have installed both, either or is my vote.

I do think that OCZ is a better drive right now though.

Nacelle's deal isn't bad, just shop around though, that's what I would do.

More
27 Jun 2011 02:08 #16336 by garfi3ld
are you looking at a 30 gig or 60 gig? Thats really the question

Wes

• Kelf
More
27 Jun 2011 02:30 #16337 by Kelf
Thats a good question, how much space does windows 7 pro take up nowadays? with 60 i could afford to fit a favorite game or few.

More
27 Jun 2011 02:50 - 27 Jun 2011 03:02 #16339 by Nacelle
Win 7 is taking up 10.3gb on my drive. It's mostly about the controller. Intel or Sandforce is what you want. The other stuff like Marvell, Indilinx, Toshiba, Samsung, and Jmicron are ok, just not as good.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2011 03:02 by Nacelle.

• Kelf
More
01 Jul 2011 20:38 #16414 by Kelf
Well I just paid Nacelle for his SSD and should be getting it sometime next week, damn you 4th of July! I'm psyched to install on the SSD and see what the difference is like.

More
01 Jul 2011 21:57 - 01 Jul 2011 22:24 #16415 by Nacelle
That's weird, paypal shows the money in there but I never got an email. You need to get me you address asap if you want it shipped today. The only note in the payment was "You've got money"
Last edit: 01 Jul 2011 22:24 by Nacelle.

• Kelf
More
02 Jul 2011 18:52 #16424 by Kelf
I've been out of the scene for a while when it comes to tech and all the updates there has been and alot of the info I used to remember i don't anymore. I still have alot of it but some of it has slipped away. But I was checking out my temps today because I actually had my cpu running at 80 percent. And I was curious if 58 degrees was close to a dangerous temperature for my cpu? My video cards chilling at 37 degrees now after i cranked up its fan using overdrive but it was at a toasty 50 something as well, should i be worried or are my temps ok?

We have 1861 guests and no members online

supportus