Dumping Cable for Netflix and Hulu Plus

More
01 Feb 2012 07:04 #22458 by NfamousZ24
I actually have AT&T Uverse. I actually love the quality of the service. But here is my problem; I have Uverse TV top 300 with HD, Showtime; then I have great speed with internet; and (2) Samsung Galaxy S phones. That bill get really expensive.

I already watch 95% of my programs a couple days to a week later on my DVR Except for News and Sports and that is the kicker for me.

I <3 my sports and I have found where to watch some NFL games when it is blacked out in my area, but the quality is far from HD. I also like to watch Sportscenter, Around the Horn, Pardon the Interuption and is there anywhere to really watch that online?

Also what is the better ways to watch Netflix and Hulu Plus on your TV's? I have the mack daddy XBOX 360 I could use in the Living Room. Wii I could use in my daughters room. Laptop I could use in my bedroom. My computer in the computer room. Also can you use 1 account on multiple TV's? At the same time?

I basically need HD in my living room atleast.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2012 07:24 - 04 Feb 2012 01:35 #22459 by Wingless92
While we don't condone piracy here at LanOC

www.firstrowsports.eu is the new address.
Last edit: 04 Feb 2012 01:35 by Wingless92.

More
01 Feb 2012 07:42 #22460 by Nacelle
We have an over-the-air antenna with dual tuners in the HTPC. Most of the TV we want to watch is on those channels. Windows Media Center is an awesome DVR. If there's something we can't get that way, there's a nice torrent site to fill the gaps. We get movies from the Red Box. We usually get one a week and end up spending about the same as a single disk netflix account. Sure it sux that I have to worry about getting them returned on time. The advantage is, I can reserve a new release first thing in the morning on Tuesday and have it there when I go to pick it up. None of that "long wait" crap that Netflix likes to give you. We've also cut the phone bill as well. Magic Jack is the "main" phone line and works pretty good for the most part. My wife and I do each have cell phones, but our bill is only $44 for our shared account. We have enough minutes and texts for what we need. Long conversations are reserved for the magic jack. The biggest bill is for internet through Comcast. Having a family of gamers makes this a necessity. Skimping there isn't an option, especially when using magic jack. Since there's no phone bill, it's easier to justify it.

More
01 Feb 2012 21:33 #22468 by draymac
I have been off cable for awhile now, doing the netflix and hulu plus route on my 360 and PS3. I also have a Seagate Theater+ unit, so I am set on practically anything I want to watch, except sports. But as Wingless mentioned, there are alternatives.

More
01 Feb 2012 21:36 #22469 by draymac

NfamousZ24 wrote: Also can you use 1 account on multiple TV's? At the same time?

As far as I can tell and my own experience will dictate, Hulu Plus can be ran by at least two devices at once. Netflix is limited to TWO devices at once. Their policy on that just changed about 4-6 months ago, when they changed their billing and made you choose between disc and streaming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NfamousZ24

More
02 Feb 2012 12:37 #22479 by Arxon
Or do like what we do. If you know your neighbors as well as we do, we share the costs of hulu and netflix.

More
02 Feb 2012 18:59 #22481 by drpain
I've often wondered if I could pull this off but I watch to many sports and for the NFL they don't have a streaming service unless you live outside of the country, NBA.tv isn't to bad and MLB.tv has insane blackout restrictions where I get slammed for Chicago Cubs and the Detroit Tigers so if the sports guys can open there stuff up I would probably switch.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
02 Feb 2012 20:50 #22483 by Wingless92

drpain wrote: I've often wondered if I could pull this off but I watch to many sports and for the NFL they don't have a streaming service unless you live outside of the country, NBA.tv isn't to bad and MLB.tv has insane blackout restrictions where I get slammed for Chicago Cubs and the Detroit Tigers so if the sports guys can open there stuff up I would probably switch.

Again, www.firstrow.tv will take care of all your sports needs.

More
04 Feb 2012 01:05 #22533 by drpain
Oh I understand about the streaming sites and things like that but I mean a legit well done high quality viewing service for Sports and it looks like the page isn't loading for me. Wonder if it got hit during the raid before the Super Bowl this weekend?

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
04 Feb 2012 01:10 #22534 by garfi3ld
pwned

thats the biggest problem. Doing things the illegal way is easier than using the paid services. Rather than trying to shut everything down all the time they really should focus on providing a better service that people would be willing to pay for.

Wes

More
04 Feb 2012 01:26 #22535 by Dreyvas

garfi3ld wrote: pwned

thats the biggest problem. Doing things the illegal way is easier than using the paid services. Rather than trying to shut everything down all the time they really should focus on providing a better service that people would be willing to pay for.

Exactly.

More
04 Feb 2012 01:37 #22536 by Wingless92
New link is up for firstrowsports

More
10 Feb 2012 16:42 #22764 by NfamousZ24
Thanks for the info.

I was using Vipbox.tv for sports and now I got Firstrow also. But they don't come in HD and man wouldn't my friends not like watching sports at my house in standard. lol

I could try this out for the next 6 months because I am mainly a Football junkie.

More
11 Feb 2012 20:31 #22804 by NfamousZ24
While at Best Buy yesterday I looked into Samsung Blu Rays($129) with Wifi built in for Netflix and Hulu, could be the answer I need for the bedrooms.

More
11 Feb 2012 23:13 #22806 by jj_Sky5000
I was looking at Samsung and Sony ended up getting The Sony Blu ray Surround System. Netflix,Hulu with the built in wifi. It works perfectly

More
12 Feb 2012 00:02 #22809 by NfamousZ24

jj_Sky5000 wrote: I was looking at Samsung and Sony ended up getting The Sony Blu ray Surround System. Netflix,Hulu with the built in wifi. It works perfectly

I was a Sony junkie before I became a Samsung junkie. lol Sony comes out with great stuff.

More
12 Feb 2012 00:38 #22810 by Wingless92
Agreed. Samsung junkie here also. My TV and phone are both Samsung. Love their products.

We have 1933 guests and no members online

supportus