Wireless Networking Help Please?

More
27 Oct 2009 01:00 - 27 Oct 2009 01:02 #755 by Lersar
This time its in my own home. I have a Netgear wireless router and a Netgear USB adapter that receives the signal upstairs to my desktop. After I brought my desktop home and set it up, however, I can't access the internet. The adapter connects to the network, but I can't connect to the internet. I have both another PC that connects through Ethernet and this laptop that connects wireless through the router, and both still get internet. I've done a few things I've considered common sense, like disabling firewall and ensuring that the wireless network is default, but still no luck. There are also a few odd things:

There is no local area connection listed under the network connections, only the wireless connection. This is odd to me because I thought that before it always listed one even if it wasn't in use, like right now on the laptop theres a local area connection 2 listed even though its using wireless network connection.

Also, though there is no local area connection, I still see everyone's shared files under my network places from the lan. Even after turning the computer off, restarting it, and refreshing it, all the files are still there, obviously inaccessible. Though there are no additional PCs listed on workgroup computers.

At this point, I'm stumped and have no idea what to do. And with the desktop being my main gaming rig and L4D2 demo releasing soon, I need to get this fixed. Any ideas are greatly, greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Oct 2009 01:24 #757 by Nacelle
Which version of Windows?
In 7 and maybe in Vista, right-click on Network and then properties. Make sure it's indicating you're at home. Start clicking around there, to see what you can bring up.

More
27 Oct 2009 01:28 #758 by Lersar
I'm sorry, about ten minutes after I posted this I got it to work. I'm running XP SP2 btw.

It was some combination of re-running the network wizard and re-installing Ethernet and SMBus drivers. Thanks though. I'm psyched its working again!

More
27 Oct 2009 15:59 #772 by Dreyvas
I think you just have some sort of strange anti-wireless aura that envelops you, to be honest. :P

More
27 Oct 2009 16:03 #773 by garfi3ld

Dreyvas wrote: I think you just have some sort of strange anti-wireless aura that envelops you, to be honest. :P

OMG NO! the kaids has gone airborne!

Wes

More
27 Oct 2009 16:49 #776 by Scootpogo
Should i be worried? XD

More
27 Oct 2009 19:49 #788 by Lersar

Scootpogo wrote: Should i be worried? XD

extremely

We have 1642 guests and no members online

supportus