Garfi3lds Secret Rebuild

More
11 Nov 2009 08:38 #1155 by garfi3ld
Garfi3lds Secret Rebuild

Im just going to post up one picture, to the people who knows please don't spoil it

File Attachment:

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2009 16:35 #1159 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic RE: Garfi3lds Secret Rebuild
i won't spoil it, just let it be known i'm really, really, really looking forward to seeing it

More
11 Nov 2009 16:42 #1160 by garfi3ld
:) and i have a few more things in the works now

Wes

More
12 Nov 2009 05:40 #1175 by LinkyPwns
looks like plenty of room for a 5870 or two

More
12 Nov 2009 18:50 #1187 by Shibumi
I think he's putting in the new nVidia GeForce Etch-A-Sketch GT in there.

More
29 Dec 2009 06:18 #1661 by garfi3ld

Wes

More
29 Apr 2010 17:38 - 29 Apr 2010 17:38 #5054 by garfi3ld
Just a couple updates, its been so long.

I finally received my radiator and got it installed only to find out that it was cross-threaded, I am ordering a new one right now. (the first one was free from a friend at Danger Den, something they had sitting around)

Here are a couple pictures that I posted on facebook, its only fair I post them up here also

Wes
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Apr 2010 17:38 by garfi3ld.

More
29 Apr 2010 17:42 #5056 by technobear
NICE! i see some pretty airbrushed flames and some very shiny black..
i also see one more example of the unfortunate use of Noctura's brown coloring..
Make em black noctura!!! do us a favor!!

More
02 May 2010 17:34 #5264 by garfi3ld
RapterX is going to go up top under the mesh. The lighting should make it kindof easy to see

Wes
Attachments:

More
02 May 2010 21:21 #5272 by Twodavez
technobear wrote:

NICE! i see some pretty airbrushed flames and some very shiny black..
i also see one more example of the unfortunate use of Noctura's brown coloring..
Make em black noctura!!! do us a favor!!

But if they were black, would you have know their maker and put their name on this post making for more advertising. It's a good idea for them to build things easy to recognize! so long as they provide a awesome product (which they do) they can kinda do whatever they want :woohoo:

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
03 May 2010 02:11 #5286 by garfi3ld
yeah as much as I hate the colors, its hard to deny that they are easy to spot and hard to forget

Wes

More
03 May 2010 03:13 #5289 by garfi3ld
another update

Wes
Attachments:

More
03 May 2010 03:14 #5290 by technobear
hmmm a rubber band...

i wonder what the rubber band is for...

gawds the mystery!!

More
03 May 2010 03:35 #5292 by orref
Replied by orref on topic Re:Garfi3lds Secret Rebuild
Did you have a water cooling system before your secret build? Looks like I see a water block. The front part of the case is large enough for a radiator, or that bottom see through section. It is a badass case as well.

... and I think the rubber band was from the power / LED / reset / etc wires for the case.

More
03 May 2010 03:44 #5293 by garfi3ld
The rubber band ended up there from cleaning up the pile of parts next to my photo area.

The radiator is mounted in the front, you can kindof see it in the picture up top. The fans are attached too it

Wes

More
03 May 2010 04:16 #5295 by orref
Is this a prefabbed case, or did you have to put some time in modifying it?

More
03 May 2010 04:19 #5296 by garfi3ld
prefab case, this isn't a case mod. Just a build that im excited about.

The custom work that was being done is on hold. Danger Den was having trouble getting everything into CAD

Wes

More
03 May 2010 11:16 #5303 by Twodavez
I think the rubber band adds suspense and mystery! I think it was added to the picture for a reason that Garfi3ld isn't telling us about. Some new ay to cool using rubberbands! Now i'm excited to see the advancements in technology! B)

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
05 May 2010 00:06 - 05 May 2010 00:10 #5444 by garfi3ld
Look what came in!

Went ahead and remounted the fans (much more secure this time around, picked up the correct screws)

Mounted the Radiator back in, this time without cross threaded fittings.

Then I finally mounted my pump where I want it, here are two pictures of the mount used.

And here is a peak of everything with the video card sitting in there, the PSU is also up top but isn't in the picture

Wes
Last edit: 05 May 2010 00:10 by garfi3ld.

More
05 May 2010 02:54 #5456 by orref
Looks clean so far, nice work.

More
05 May 2010 03:02 - 05 May 2010 03:03 #5457 by garfi3ld
one last update for the night, I need to dig up my hose cutters to get my hoses ran.

floating SSD

Wes
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 May 2010 03:03 by garfi3ld.

More
06 May 2010 00:38 - 06 May 2010 00:42 #5501 by garfi3ld
I had to pick up a new pair of tubing cutters because I couldn't find mine. I also pulled the SSD out and raised it up a little. I don't have any pictures because I am waiting on the paint to dry before putting it back together. Here is my progress so far.

I have the loop running right now to make sure I don't spring any leaks (no issues so far) and to get the air out of the system. After I feel comfortable I will top it off and secure the reservoir. I will be picking up a new double bay reservoir at some point, I'm not happy with the way this one flows. It creates bubbles. After that I can start running the wires to get this thing ready to boot up officially. I am excited to be getting close to finishing this project out, its been way too long. Plus everyone needs to see what the outside looks like

Wes
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 May 2010 00:42 by garfi3ld.

More
06 May 2010 04:39 - 06 May 2010 04:43 #5506 by garfi3ld
Well I have it all together, still needs windows installed and a few minor details fixed. Without further ado here are the pictures of the whole PC

You can click each picture to see a little bit larger version

Wes
Last edit: 06 May 2010 04:43 by garfi3ld.

More
06 May 2010 04:46 #5507 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re:Garfi3lds Secret Rebuild

Note the collector's number: 1 out of 100. Thats enough to make any collector jealous.

More
06 May 2010 12:10 #5510 by technobear
very nice wes... now you have the only case that needs regular washing and waxing lol did you get one of those " you can look but please dont touch" plaques to set near it?

honestly brings back the days of showing my 66 mustang..

More
06 May 2010 13:28 #5511 by Twodavez
Gosh, that's alot of pressure not to bump it taking it to LANs. It's looks AWESOME though!
Techno, that's one fear i have of getting a new card. One little scratch and i'd be so angry! I'm sure wes will take care of his baby!

More
06 May 2010 14:47 #5513 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re:Garfi3lds Secret Rebuild
It's awesome, but why would you build something like this if you're not going to take it to any lans? :(

Are you going to take this to LanOC and stick with the Lunchbox for stuff farther away?

More
06 May 2010 16:47 #5516 by Twodavez
Dreyvas wrote:

It's awesome, but why would you build something like this if you're not going to take it to any lans? :(

Are you going to take this to LanOC and stick with the Lunchbox for stuff farther away?

This was my thought too, but i think that's why he built the lunchbox to take to LANs. Although maybe the colector case came with case to put it into for transportation. A case for your case... What are they going to think of next ;)

More
06 May 2010 22:02 #5556 by garfi3ld
This build originally was just going to be a rebuild of my current rig but I ended up with enough parts sitting around to build an entire rig. I know that I will use this rig at the lan to host games.

I will make a point to take it out to atleast a few events to show it off. Once lunchbox is done I will of course want to show it off also.

And yes I need to wax it now

Thanks everyone for the comments, they really mean a lot to me. Keep them coming :)

Wes

More
06 May 2010 22:15 #5558 by technobear
make sure you talk to whoever painted it about which kind of wax is ok

I use Mcguires was and quick spray....

essentially you would wax it down.. then when youre somewhere and want to spruce it up to get prints off and such use the spray and a good cloth ..

just like a car :silly:

We have 2293 guests and one member online

supportus