WHS

More
17 Nov 2011 01:59 #20935 by Wingless92
WHS was created by Wingless92
So for about the last month I have been having problems with my server. I couldn't get it to connect for a couple of days and then, about 3 days later, BOOM, works.

Then it just happened again, so, I pulled all the data that I needed off of it. Reinstalled the OS and back up and running.

Then one of the drives that I bought for it, a 2TB 5900rpm Seagate took a dump on me. So yesterday I contacted Seagate and RAM'ed the drive.

Last night I was still having problems. The original 1.5TB drive that came with it was showing all kinds of bad sectors, 208 to be exact. So I tried to RMA that drive but since it came with the server I had to go thru HP.

Checked out my warranty and it's expired. So I am now down to 2, 2TB drives as I wait for the other 2TB drive to come back.

I have had my other non Seagate drives for awhile now, no problems whatsoever. Does Seagate have these kinds of problems or is it just bad luck.

When I built it I used the WD Green drives but I bought the EARS drives which WHS doesn't like. So I bought the closest drives I could from Seagate. They worked fine for about a year and then BOOM. 2 fail in a couple of days?

They never get above 50'c which you want to keep drives under. There is more than enough air going across them and I clean the server about once every 3 months.

I dunno, maybe I should swap all of the drives for some none EARS WD drives but at drive costs right now it's not going to be cheap.

I guess I will have to wait and see. I will most likely just buy another 2TB 5900rpm Seagate drive to replace the 1.5TB that died.

What I am going to do with the 1.5TB drive is cut it apart at school and just destroy it. There is a bunch of personal stuff on there and I don't want to take any chances.

On Thursday I will record the exorcism with the GoPro and post it when I get home. I was thinking a chop saw, maybe some TIG welding and a grinder. If you have any other suggestions let me know what you want to see. A torch or two also might make an appearance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2011 02:04 #20936 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: WHS
I wouldn't jump the gun on seagate. Its a little odd that two different model hard drives that where picked up at different times died at the same time.

Wes

More
17 Nov 2011 02:49 #20938 by Myndmelt
Replied by Myndmelt on topic Re: WHS
I really cant speak on this. I mainly buy WD drives. But I understand if you were running into the EARS issue (after I just looked it up). I think its very odd for them both to go bad in a few days. What were you discovering the bad sectors with? just scan disk or maybe test disk? Just wondering.

More
17 Nov 2011 07:28 #20943 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Re: WHS
They were purchased pretty close together, say 5 days but yea, I am not writing them off yet.

For checking disks I am using Home Server SMART add in.

Here's a screenshot of it.

Attachments:

More
17 Nov 2011 10:21 #20944 by Wingcmdr77
Replied by Wingcmdr77 on topic Re: WHS
Use a drill press with 3 bits on it... Data will never be recovered and you can melt it too if you want. I'd like to see that. Use to take a drill press to drives like the masses at this place I worked a long time ago. When they were up for a Refresh/ the company would send back the leased machines minus the drive that was the agreement. It was kinda fun. :)

We have 2720 guests and no members online

supportus