Left 4 Dead tribute

More
08 May 2010 17:29 - 08 May 2010 17:32 #5604 by Lersar
Left 4 Dead tribute was created by Lersar
So my first attempt at a case mod came to me pretty easy: I wanted to do a L4D-themed case, since it was one of the games that I played religiously when I first started moving more towards PC gaming. Though I had a lot of ideas, I didn't have the means or experience to do anything too extravagant, so I kinda brainstormed and decided to go with a few things that any fan of L4D could easily identify.

Using the Cooler Master Gladiator 600 case, I removed the mesh screening of the front-panel in front of the 5.25" expansion bay, and took measurements of what I had to work with. Thankfully, the dimensions turned out to be a good ratio of length to width that matched a door, so I decided that replicating that safe door that survivors desperately struggle to reach would be a good idea.

I started with a piece of OSB wood and painted it an almost crimson red. Using a photo of the safe room door, I found and cut pieces to match the make-shift barricading of the door, as well as the damaged bars on the window. It was completed with the security bar that kept the infected out until survivors choose to remove it and begin their run.

Since I was using scrap metal around the shop, most if it already had a very used look to it. I was using new screws, so I ran them under a grinder to take the shine off, which also put a nice skidmark effect on them if left under it too long. Once everything was in place, I lightly touched the completed door model with a torch here and there to complete a weathered look.

The main side panel is complete with replicated saferoom wall writings that players will find in the game, doing my best to match the font, size, and boldness found in game. This was achieved pretty easily using a white paint pen.

On the reverse mobo panel, as you can see in the picture, there is the L4D logo. This was done by carefully cutting out and applying a stencil of the blood spatter and spray painting it. Since it was supposed to look like spatter, a little overspray not only didn't hurt but added a nice effect in some situations. I then drew and cut out a custom '4' from decal paper to complete the logo, since pre-trials of painting on paint didn't work well for me. I found out a week or so later that complete decal logos could be bought online. Oh well, its original at least.

The tower is then competed with green and red LED fans.

Last edit: 08 May 2010 17:32 by Lersar.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2010 22:22 #5613 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re:Left 4 Dead tribute
Looks good, can we get a picture of the front, i wanna see the details of the door...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
09 May 2010 01:06 #5615 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re:Left 4 Dead tribute
I'll get some better shots of it shortly, just happened to be in the v6.0 pics and thoughts I'd put it up.

More
09 May 2010 02:42 #5617 by technobear
Replied by technobear on topic Re:Left 4 Dead tribute
nice mod! i liked the steel work on the front..

More
09 May 2010 17:59 #5624 by Shroud
Replied by Shroud on topic Re:Left 4 Dead tribute
nicely done man, I am trying to come up with some mods for my case but probably nothing like your door. I have all summer to figure out what I am doing though.

We have 2269 guests and no members online

supportus