LanOC Summer Case Mod Contest 2010 :Rockin Case*

More
18 Jul 2010 02:18 #7230 by SXRguyinMA
Here is my entry for the Summer Case Mod Contest 2010. Original worklog can be found here .

7/7/2008

Alright, this mod took off one day after browsing some cool rigs over at modshop.net. I've done my own modding on my Armor case so far, added LCS and other goodies, but thats for another thread. Me and the Fiance (soon to be wife - Aug 30th) were sittin at the comp. one night and were thinkin what we could put a computer in. She was playin her guitar at the time, and we both looked at each other and it clicked! A GUITAR!
So we started brainstorming and I dug out an old mobo with a PIII 500MHz ready to go. Just need the basics, a cheap PSU, CD drive, floppy, etc. This computer is going to be far from a top notch gaming rig. She's a writer, so this comp will be hers for writing, etc. so it doesnt need to be high-powered.

So heres the details so far. All that is done as of right now is a crappy MS paint drawing lol.

File Attachment:

As you can see, the base I'm going to hand lay from carbon fiber. I've got a roll of cloth and resin and have some basic fiberglassing skills so I'm going to give it a shot. This is where the mobo and everything will mount to. I'm also going to make the decorative pick guard out of carbon, and maybe a few other details/drive mounts etc. as well.

The body of the guitar is going to be translucent green acrylic with some LED lighting, not sure on the details on that yet. The PSU will mount under the sound hole, so the PSU exhaust will blow up through the hole.

The mobo will sit at the bottom of the guitar, with all the I/O connections coming out of the bottom, so when its finished and sitting on a guitar stand we'll be able to run the cables under and behind it.

The bridge, neck and head will all be made out of red translucent acrylic. We're going to put the frets in as well, just not sure what we'll use for material on them, either actualy guitar string or possibly something else.

We plan on using small diameter acrylic rod for the strings themselves, which will have LEDs in the bottoms for power, HDD, CD avtivity, etc. So when the LEDS light up the entire "string" will light up.

I've never worked with acrylic before, but I have read through the "working with acrylic" thread on this site and I learned a lot, so I'm just going to order some up, and plenty of extra, and have at it! The carbon will be simple, I've got fiberglass and carbon experience already, so its just a matter of finding a perfectly smooth flat surface to lay the cloth and resin down on.

This build will take some time, as we just moved into a new apartment and funds are really tight, but I wanted to at least start the thread with the idea layed out, and update it as funds allow.

Thanks to everyone here for their creations and getting me motivated to try this!

Will

7/17/2008
::UPDATE::

I got a steal on a new mobo/cpu/vga bundle, so I've upgraded from my SOYO/P3 500MHz/noname vga/SODIMM memory:

File Attachment:

to this ECS mobo w/athlon 2600+, PNY GeForce vga and 1512MB DDR mem

File Attachment:

I got the combo for $45 shipped, so I'd say I got a good deal. I know it works, It used to be the MOBO in the server that hosts www.tlzone.net . They upgraded to something faster, and I scored this

In other news, I should hopefully be able to start getting some carbon fiber layed this weekend. If its nice out I'll be out on the jet ski, so we'll see

Stay Tuned
Will

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2010 02:19 #7231 by SXRguyinMA
7/28/2008

::UPDATE::

Got some cash for some goodies I sold, so this project is back on track! Placed my order Saturday with delvies plastics, got all the acrylic I need and then some (for screwing-up lol). I've been reading up on the web about working with acrylic, so I'm going to have a go at it.

I've got most of the components for the PC itself, just need a PSU, a few cables, and keyboard/mouse, monitor. I found a 3.5" floppy drive with built-in media card reader in it. I decided to keep a 3.5" due to her using it as a writng machine mostly. I have my old 40GB WD HDD out of my old rig that will work perfectly in this one.

I'm planning on starting on the carbon fiber work for the backplate tonight, I'll post more pics then

Will

Ok, got the first stage of the carbon backplate done today. I made the fiance help (its gong to be her rig after all) and we busted it out pretty quickly. I didnt have enough carbon to do 3 layers for strength, but I had enough for 2 and enough fiberglass for the middle layer, so it worked out well. It was all perfectly sized to give an extra 2-3" on each side from the drawnig I made up, which took demensions from her Guild acoustic guitar (the inspiration for this mod).

It doesnt looks great yet, but once it hardens we'll give it a thorough wet sanding on both sides, followed by another coat of resin then more wet sanding until the finish is perfect. So thats anough jibber jabber for now, on to the pics!!!

The goodies - Bondo resin, latex gloves, 99 cent walmart paintbrushes, a rag and cleaner to clean the plexi prior to applying the resin

File Attachment:

Dry run with the fiberglass on top of the first layer of carbon

File Attachment:

carbon and fiberglass next to each other

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

and skip ahead a few steps (had to work fast, resin only stays liquid so long lol) all layers together, smoothed as best I could before it got too stiff to work with

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

and a few close-ups

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Like I said, finish looks like sh*t right now, but once its wet sanded and resined and wet sanded again it'll look much better :)

More
18 Jul 2010 02:20 #7232 by SXRguyinMA
7/30/2008

ok did some more work tonight, added 2 more layers of glass and 1 more carbon, this should be plenty stiff enough

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Ok kiddies...this is todays resin mixing lesson! Always use less hardener than you think you need...otherwise you get 4 mns and you get this :mad: :

File Attachment:

and since I already had it poured on but not spread, I had to do the best I could with what I had...still could have come out much worse :think:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Looks like a $75 sheet of peanut brittle. :D Luckily this is saveable. I'm going to let it cure for a few days, then break out a 2x4 and the 120 grit and go to town. :down: I'm going to sand right through the carbon everywhere theres a bump, so needless to say I'm going to need another sheet. :mad: This last 24"x50" sheet cost me $33 with shipping.
So I'll sand her down this weekend, and once I get another slab of carbon I'll do a final layer to pretty it up and noone will ever know...except me...and all you guys :up:
I pulled it off, its hardened anough already, and its definitely much stiffer. If it wasnt for the bumps it'd be time to trim, but such is life.
On the other hand, I got a UPS confirmation today, my acrylic will be here on Aug 6th! 22lbs of goodness from www.delviesplastics.com :D

Stay tuned :redface:

8/14/2008

alright, carbon is completely sanded, awaiting funds for another sheet of 2x2 twill and another quart of resin.

in other news, got the guitar shape traced to the plexi, now just laying out the ocmponents and tracing to find the best fit for everything. I have a lot less room than I had expected, but thats life.

anyone ever had any problems with extending wires from the PSU? I'm thinking I'll put the PSU into the "amp" box to save room in the case itself. this will also help keep the heat down. but I'm goign to need to extend the PSU wires by at least 1-2 feet. I'm good with soldering and such, so thats not an issue, just wondering if it'll push the current that far.

I was originally going to get a modular PSU to keep it clean, but I may just get a regular one now that it's going to be in its own case. Will post pics/more info as things happen

10/09/2008
ok carbons here, should be able to do it up this weekend :D

also, thanks to the helpful people on this forum, I downloaded Google SketchUp and after 90 mins of messin around I ended up with this:

File Attachment:

that should give a better idea of how its going to be laid out. the components (mobo, PSU, VGA, memory) came from this site , so a huge thanks to those who created those components originally :up:

More
18 Jul 2010 02:21 #7233 by SXRguyinMA
10/11/2008

did more SketchUp work :D

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Stay tuned :up:

I think I'm going to leave that hole open, as the PSU fan will be sucking air in through it, and the case fan under the neck that will be blowing out will also be pulling air in through it, and the 80mm fan on the lower part of the case will be blowing down onto the CPU heatsink as well, but then again I'm sure a nice 120mm unit will looks nice under there The fans are not 100% located as of now, just throwin ideas around to see how everything will fit in

I may just put the PSU power cable through the case, maybe sleeve it with some UV sleeving to match all the wires coming out of the PSU, but I'm also looking at a 200 watt micro PSU as well, but I dont think it'd be enough to run the mobo/vga and also the fans, cathodes, drives etc

More
18 Jul 2010 02:22 #7234 by SXRguyinMA
10/21/2008

sorry for the lack of regular updates, got a new family member who's been taking up some free time :D

Her name is Mel, she's an 18-month old lab/pit bull mix. Shes full grown, only approx 40lbs. She's got the best personality I've ever seen in a dog like her. She'll jump on your lap and lick your face, jump on the couch next to you and watch tv, and she's very good with strangers and strange animals. She's amazing. The wife found her on Craigslist, a woman had 4 dogs and the place she was moving to would only let her have 3, and no pit bull anything, so by default this adorable girl had to go. Best of all she was free! :banana:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

well onto the imprtant stuff :D

ok so as you know, last time I left off I had this:

File Attachment:

a peanut-brittle-like sheet of carbon and fiberglass, thanks to too much hardener

well after a LOT of sanding and a fresh coat of resin, we have this: :banana:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

much better :D looks bumpy still, but its just the carbon reflecting the light.

anyhow, I got another roll of carbon finally and proceeded to cut and lay it:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I wanted to put full concentration into this so I decided to work rather than stop to take pics. It came out great, just needs a final coat of resin and some wet sanding, then to cut it out!

Heres the template I made on cardboard that will be the size/shape of the carbon backplate:

File Attachment:

thats it for now, should get the resin all done by this weekend and hopefully get it cut out soon thereafter

on to another part of the mod: the "strings"

I got a 10-pack of acrylic rods to use as "strings" for the guitar, and I'm planning on lighting them at either end with LEDs for HDD, power, CD, etc. Well a shiny polished rod does nothing to reflect light outwards, so I took a piece of scotchbrite to it, scuffed it good. Here you can see the difference. I'm holding it to the power LED on my computer

You can see where I stopped sanding it

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

and with the lights off:

File Attachment:

this should work out nicely. I'm going to experiment with different grits of sandpaper as well to see what kind of effects they give, and what will work/look best.

thats it for now, hopefully more updates soon, but for now, I leave you with some more angles of my render :D

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

More
18 Jul 2010 02:23 #7235 by SXRguyinMA
10/26/2008

small update, got a coat of resin on it, looks much better :D will sand it tomorrow, and depending on how much sanding I have to do I'll either put one more coat of resin or just cut it out and clear coat it.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

mmmm tasty :D

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

more to come tomorrow night :up:

More
18 Jul 2010 02:23 #7236 by SXRguyinMA
10/27/2008

small update, carbon is 90% done

after a good sanding from yesterdays 2 fresh coats of resin:

File Attachment:

and after the dust is wiped off - you can see where it needs more sanding:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

so after another round of sanding you can see the dark (unsanded) spots getting smaller

File Attachment:

at this point I was scared about going through and sanding into the carbon, so I did up another batch of resin. I used a different method this time that I guy I know in teh carbon industry told me to do. He said to mix up the resin, then pour it into the center of the peice like so:

File Attachment:

then cover with thick plastic sheet (like the kind used in gardens for water control) like so:

File Attachment:

and use a hard squegee to push the resin outwards from the center like so:

File Attachment:

this didnt work out like he showed, my plastic started to curl and wrinkle for some odd reason, so I peeled it off before it start to set up to the point where I'd ruin it, and just brushed the rest on like normal:

File Attachment:

then while it was setting up I went and did laudry, mowed the lawn, walked the dog, etc. then I came back and I trimmed the ratty edges off with my trusty die grinder

File Attachment:

heres the cardboard template with the mobo on it, for sizing

File Attachment:

a look at the size of the baseplate, theres plenty of carbon left for other goodies, like the pickguard, and possibly a part or 2 for my computer :D

File Attachment:

I then went to town with the sander again (its now dark as you can see):

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

its now almost perfectly flat, but also almost into the carbon. I could do up another layer of resin, but I dont feel like sanding anymore :D I got some nice triple-thick clearcoat spary paint at walmart that I'm going to use, so between wet sanding and that it'll be perfect.

this is the original side, first sheet of carbon (the sheet that was laid directly onto the plexi) and came out the best. a nice wet sanding and the clear coat will have this side perfect.

File Attachment:

thats it for now, I'm holding off wet sanding and clearcoating until I get it cut out, which hopefully I can do on my luch break tomorrow :D

More
18 Jul 2010 02:24 #7237 by SXRguyinMA
10/28/2008

ok so it cut out! :D

here it is in the garage, its was cold and rainy tonight, so I decided to work in there

File Attachment:

I borrowed a dremel as mines broken, and used his side-cutting bit

File Attachment:

I used an arctic cat track marker to outline on the carbon, its usually used to mark snowmobile tracks for drilling to install studs

File Attachment:

and heres the outline

File Attachment:

and its cut :D

File Attachment:

Heres the other side, looks damn good :smokin:

File Attachment:

and the extra, now to figure out what to make from it, maybe coasters or somethin

File Attachment:

and with the mobo sitting on it

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

looks good methinks. the edges are rough as hell, I'll hopefully get to hit it with the belt sander tomorrow and clean it up nice

More
18 Jul 2010 02:24 #7238 by SXRguyinMA
11/17/2008

minor update :D

got my free sample hardware from RAF Electronics . 1 Aluminum handle, dont know what I'm going to use it for yet but I'll find somethin. 5 brass standoffs, 5 aluminum standoffs, 5 aluminum thumb screws and 5 stainless thumbscrews. I would have liked all matching hardware, but the max qty for a sample order is 5, so I made it work :D

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

hmmm whaddaya know...10 standoffs and thumbscrews...and 10 mounting holes in the mobo! what a coincidence! Ok not really, had this in mind all along :D

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

as soon as I can find some proper-sized belts for my tabletop belt sander I'll have the carbon's shape finished, then I can wet sand/clearcoat it and it'll be done.

More
18 Jul 2010 02:25 #7239 by SXRguyinMA
2/12/2009

thanks man, this projects going to be on hold for now, as I need $$ to finish it, and the wife and I are trying to get our bills payed off. our tax returns will take care of all our credit cards, then my truck will be paid off this summer, then all that will be left is my jet ski and her car. Once my trucks paid off I should be able to get back workin on this one again. Maybe small progress between now and then too we'll see. I'm workin on Monster though, because its a 90% free project, just my time.

More
18 Jul 2010 02:25 #7240 by SXRguyinMA
11/3/2009

ok I'm back on this one again!

with Christmas coming and cash flow tight right now, we decided to do home-made gifts for Christmas. Well I know what I'm doing....I'm going to finish this for her! I'm also trying to finish Monster for Christmas for my brother as well, but we'll see what happens.

Ok spent a couple hours after work tonight workin on it. I got my plexi and traced the shape of the carbon guitar with a pen, then cut it with my dremel and rotary bit.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

then I clamped them together and hit the belt sander
File Attachment:

and after a few mins we've got two matching pieces
File Attachment:

and a few pics of the rough layout for the components. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to use the CD drive. If I dont it saves a lot of space and some weight. Its not a huge deal, she's got a 250GB WD Passport, so she can always put stuff on that and burn them on my computer :think:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

and a shot w/o the CD drive. The HDD will be on a holder or rack of some sort for airflow and cooling. anyone know if you can trim the unused part of an IDE cable off? :?

File Attachment:

More
18 Jul 2010 02:26 #7241 by SXRguyinMA
11/4/2009

another update! forgot the camera, so you'll have to deal with cell phone pics lol

another shot with the components layed out
File Attachment:

holes drilled for mobo, mobo temporarily mounted here:
File Attachment:

holes drilled and mounts set up for HDD
File Attachment:

main neck piece cut out
File Attachment:

and the part for the "string" mount
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I didnt get any pics of that part finished unfortunately.

now, on the neck, I've set up the measurements for the head and base mounts, and figured I have a 1" x 13.5" strip to cut some kind of decoration out of each side of the neck. now to do up some drawings and figure it out!

More
18 Jul 2010 02:26 #7242 by SXRguyinMA
11/8/2009

well it comes as a kit, so I dont need to put that switch in to begin with :up:

I like the idea on a remote switch though thanks!

anywho, small update.

I cut a small square out of the red plexi then cut in half to make two triangles. I then marked out a pattern on one side.

File Attachment:

I then proceeded to sand away the profile

File Attachment:

and the rough shape is done

File Attachment:

mmm dusty lol

File Attachment:

and another shot of the basic shape

File Attachment:

and after some sandinge with 600 grit paper, there seems to be some high spots

File Attachment:

so I hit it with a flexible sanding disc on the dremel. much better.

File Attachment:

after I got it mostly smooth with the sand paper I put a buffing wheel on the dremel and used plastic polish in conjunction with the buffing wheel to shine it up

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

and these will be mounted on the neck as shown here, they will be the "supports" for the neck

File Attachment:

More
18 Jul 2010 02:27 #7243 by SXRguyinMA
11/13/2009

minor update, nice brown box from Xoxide showed up today :)

we have UV green sleeving, 4 Thermaltake 80mm green LED fans, 1 120mm logisys green LED fan, a molex pin remover, 4 thermaltake green 80mm fan vibration dampeners and an Ultra screw kit

File Attachment:

expect another update later this weekend :up:

More
18 Jul 2010 02:27 - 18 Jul 2010 02:28 #7244 by SXRguyinMA
11/18/2009

heres this kit assembled with 10 RGB modules each containing 2 RGB LEDs. I opted to install wiring with a molex connector to supply the 12VDC rather than the 2mm jack that came with the kit

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

and short vid

Last edit: 18 Jul 2010 02:28 by SXRguyinMA.

More
18 Jul 2010 02:29 #7245 by SXRguyinMA
11/18/2009

ok so I tried it with a rod that I "frosted" with sandpaper. not soo good. the light gets broken up way too early and doesnt make it more than a few inches into the rod

I'm going to try some different grits of paper and maybe different directions of sanding as well

11/19/2009

Got a SPONSOR! WOOHOO!

John over at PCBoard.ca was kind enough to help me out with my LED needs, and after my initial purchase there was a lof of back-and-forth chit-chatting involving this project and my needs. He checked out this worklog and was genuinely interested in it, so after a little more chatting he kindly agreed to sponsor me in this build. Its nothing huge, but every tiny bit helps! So without further ado, the shameless sponsor plug :D

File Attachment:

Need specialty LEDs? Or an awesome RGB controller like the one I got for this project? Feel free to contact John at PCBoard.ca. He's helped me with a lot already, from ordering the kit to LED/resistor setup, etc etc. He's VERY FAST in replying to emails, which is rare these days :bowdown:

Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.

11/20/2009

thanks!

got some work done last night with the plexi rods. I found that if I sand them the long way with 1500 grit, then polish them with the dremel and Novus #2 it leaves just enough to light them up but not so much that doesnt travel the full length of the rod. I'll post up pics tonight

Also got an email from my sponsor, he's sending me the RGB piranha LEDs and resistors I need to wire them all up, and also including 48 UV LEDs I plan to use those rather than the UV cathodes to light the case. I also have something special planned for my boring silver Antec PSU

Stay tuned

More
18 Jul 2010 02:29 #7246 by SXRguyinMA
11/21/2009

ok, and update of what I've done over the last day or two

Once I got the rods figured out for lighting I bent one end and drilled a hole in the "pickup plate." The plan here is to use 4 RGB piranha LEDs on the bottom of this to light the 4 strings. I used my current RGB setup to test it and I think it will work out nicely, especially when each one will have another LED at the other end.

click on pics for larger versions

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Then I did something with this boring old silver antec PSU.

File Attachment:

cover off

File Attachment:

green acrylic cut to roughly the size of the top

File Attachment:

ready for bending

File Attachment:

now I just heated it slowly with a small butane torch until it was soft, then bent it and clamped it until it cooled

File Attachment:

and set on the PSU to check sizing, etc. fits pretty good :up:

File Attachment:

and with the backing paper removed

File Attachment:

now I wasn't just content with a plain green cover, so I printed out this music note and cut it out, then set it onto the cover for sizing

File Attachment:

then I traced into the rex plexi

File Attachment:

and after a LOT of cutting, filing, sanding, polishing, etc here it is

File Attachment:

and glued

File Attachment:

and the finished result. now I just need to do some trimming on the green and drill the mounting holes. I plan on putting 4 UV LEDs inside the PSU to light up the green.

File Attachment:

now I couldn't leave the PSU silver, so I started by desoldering the switch and removing the components from the shell

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

and one empty shell, ready for paint

File Attachment:

I drilled 4 mounting holes in the base here. I will put 4 screws and attatch them to short standoffs to mount to the base

File Attachment:

first coat

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I ended up putting 3 coats on it last night. I should get to reassembling it tonight. Stay tuned :D

More
18 Jul 2010 02:30 #7247 by SXRguyinMA
11/24/2009

ok major update time!

so I sanded the sides of the neck at an angle similar to what her guitar currently has.

File Attachment:

Next (last night) I cut two rectangles of red plexi and glued them together.

File Attachment:

here is the design I drew out that will end up being the head. I used the rim of a baseball hat oddly enough, it seemed to fit the curve I was looking for perfectly :up:

File Attachment:

and after a rough cut out with the band saw

File Attachment:

I noticed on her guitar the head angles downward, so I ground an angle on the base of the head with the belt sander

File Attachment:

Heres the head after I sanded and polished the sides

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

they fit and look pretty good

File Attachment:

I then glued them together, they're currently setting.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

now I put the PSU back together (mostly). I think it turned out pretty nice

File Attachment:

I drilled holes in the plexi to mount it to the PSU frame

File Attachment:

then I proceeded to do something I've never done before. and never plan on dong again lol. I sleeved the PSU. I also cut off the wires that I wont be using (SATA, floppy, etc). Some I could just pop the pins out of the connector, others I had to cut the wires and resolder and heatshrink then sleeve.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

now with the small cables done all that was left was the 20-pin one. WHAT A PITA!

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I think it turned out nice.

File Attachment:

now all thats left to do is wait for my UV LEDs to arrive and put them into the PSU and it'll be done :up:

More
18 Jul 2010 02:31 #7248 by SXRguyinMA
11/27/2009

I had this PCI slot adapter with firewire and USB in it, trouble is I only wanted the USB part. so I cut it in half :)

after I cut it I removed the USB connector and pulled the parts out of the housing

File Attachment:

then I painted it black

File Attachment:

then reassembled it and sleeved the wiring and put the connector back on

File Attachment:

now I just need to decide where to mount it on the front panel

I sanded down the sides where the neck meets the head, as it didnt sit exactly in line when I clamped it. this is after I rough sanded and finished with 2000 grit. I polished it with the dremel after this, but no pics yet.

File Attachment:

I also got the PSU case mounted to the backplate. I'm using these neat plastic liscense plate screws because they just touch the bottom of the PSU board

File Attachment:

and heres how everything will be layed out

File Attachment:

I then decided to go ahead and mark and cut the hole for the 120mm fan. I LOVE the dremel circle-cutter attatchment!

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

fan in

File Attachment:

I also went ahead and sanded and polished the opening

File Attachment:

at this point I clamped the neck assembly to the body to see how it all looked. looks nice

File Attachment:

then I marked holes for two 80mm fans I'll be putting in

File Attachment:

one cut

File Attachment:

both cut

File Attachment:

I also sanded and polished these edges as well.

I temporarily installed the fans with the vibration dampers to test them and see how bright the LEDs are

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

and hooked up to a test PSU

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

the LEDs are way too bright. I'm going to wire them all to a single switch so you'll be able to turn the LEDs off without turning the fans off. I'm also going to cut and resolder the wiring all together and sleeve it to make it look nicer.

I was thinkingabout replacing the green LEDs with UV ones. I can do it easily in the 120mm fan, but the 80mm ones have the micro SMD style LEDs soldered to a long flexible strip, so those would be tougher. We'll see what happens.

thats it for now, I should get a lot more work done on sunday and monday :D

Comments/Ideas/Suggestions? :think:

More
18 Jul 2010 02:32 #7249 by SXRguyinMA
11/30/2009

Update time!

I figuredout how to wire up a switch to the three fans to turn off the LEDs. The 80mm ones were easy, the 120mm one was a little more difficult.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

fans on lights off

File Attachment:

fan on lights on

File Attachment:

almost finished wiring

File Attachment:

wiring for the 120mm fan

File Attachment:

the 80mm fans will be on all the time, hooked directly to the PSU. the 120mm fan will be connected to a speed control, because its loud when all 12V are going into it

File Attachment:

I also cut my 24x24 inch sheet of green into 4 6x24 inch pieces. these will form the sides of the case. I've got a couple ideas as for how to form them perfectly, we'll see what works out

File Attachment:

I also cut a hole for the front panel USB connectors. I filed it down and smoothed it a lot more after this pic was taken.

I also drilled 5 holes to mount the RBG LED controller. 4 for the mounting and 1 for acess to the button. I plan on gluing a small piece of acrylic rod to the button that will stick through the faceplate so the LED effects can be changed easily

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I also had time to mount another 80mm fan on the main plate where the HDD will go to act as a cooler. I just snipped the LED wires on this one, as it will be mounted to the underside of the case and theres no point to having the green LEDs there, as the rainbow ones will be there.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

thats it for now. hopefully my LEDs come in today and I can get some more work done. Then its just waiting for my performace pcs order to arrive and things will get rollin!

More
18 Jul 2010 02:32 #7250 by SXRguyinMA
11/30/2009

ok so I went down to do laundry and looked at the project and decided to do some more, so I made a HDD cover similar to the PSU cover.

I started but cutting and bending the plexi

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

and cut to size

File Attachment:

then I cut a single note out of red

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

then I sanded and polished it and glued it to the cover

File Attachment:

tomorrow it'll be dry and I can drill the mounting holes and such

More
18 Jul 2010 02:33 #7251 by SXRguyinMA
12/1/2009

LEDs came in today!! I'll be working on them tonight

a HUGE THANKS to John at PCBoard.ca for hooking me up with this project!!!

Now for the goods. We've got 10 RGB Piranha LEDs, 24 15ยบ UV LEDs, 24 30ยบ UV LEDs, and 510 Ohm and 560 Ohm resistors for the RGB LEDs.

I'll post pics later, I've gotta make room in the picture account

12/3/2009

heres the LEDs and resistors:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

and the first batch of SS hardware

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

and spacers mounted to mobo

File Attachment:

I've got some longer SS screws coming in today, the ones I ordered work fine for a few things but they're too short for others

More
18 Jul 2010 02:34 #7252 by SXRguyinMA
heres the HDD cover and PSU cover next to each other. the HDD isnt mounted yet but htisis where it will be

File Attachment:

heres the PSU cover after I put 4 UV LEDs in it. I need to frost them to disperse the light better though

File Attachment:

heres how the LEDs will be layed out for the bottom of the strings

File Attachment:

testing the lyaout

File Attachment:

and soldered

File Attachment:

testing colors

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

and both boards done and hot glued for protection and hooked to the RGB controller kit

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

and workin

File Attachment:

this is the layout for got 4 LEDs at the top of the strings

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

and thats as far as I got last night. I'm going to try to get more done this morning, as I work 12-8 today. other than that it'll be tomorrow night before I get more work done

More
18 Jul 2010 02:34 #7253 by SXRguyinMA
12/4/2009

update time!

heres my Performance-PCs goodies:

Vandal-resistant switch
File Attachment:

2x AC Ryan 80mm fan filter and 1x 120mm fan filter
File Attachment:

1 120mm UV green fan dampener
File Attachment:

a Zalman ORB CPU cooler
File Attachment:

and a recessed red LED HDD activity light
File Attachment:

stock cooler
File Attachment:

nice new Zalman cooler, and mobo finally mounted to the back plate
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

as you can see the wiring on my switch is WAY too long
File Attachment:

so I cut and soldered it to a connector I had laying around
File Attachment:

and same with the HDD light
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

the switch and light mounted, along with the speed control for the 120mm fan (sorry for the blurry pic)
File Attachment:

switch and light sleeved
File Attachment:

thats as much as I got done in 2 hours last night. I've got all night tonight and tomorrow though, so I should get a ton more done

More
18 Jul 2010 02:35 #7254 by SXRguyinMA
12/5/2009

smallish update. the LEDs are done! well the ones for the strings anyhow. I also did some work on the HDD mounts. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the 120mm fan all wired up to the controller and the strings at least partially layed out and such. we'll see what happens.

red LEDs soldered
File Attachment:

and testing
File Attachment:

blue LEDs soldered
File Attachment:

and testing
File Attachment:

green LEDs soldered
File Attachment:

and testing
File Attachment:

and the wires sleeved and both modules hooked to the RGB controller kit
File Attachment:

More
18 Jul 2010 02:36 #7255 by SXRguyinMA
12/8/2009

another update! :D

got the neck glued on
File Attachment:

fan contorller wired in and sleeved
File Attachment:

holes drilled for the bottom of the strings
File Attachment:

and picked up some goodies.

Win7 home
File Attachment:

500GB HDD
File Attachment:

and a wireless PCI card
File Attachment:

heres what I'll use for the side panel molds. I'm guing 5 together in a stack, then sanding each and glig 2 stacks together. from this I'll trace the shape of the side and cut it with the bandsaw, then sand it and use it as a 2-piece mold to form the acrylic for the sides

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

More
18 Jul 2010 02:37 #7256 by SXRguyinMA
12/8/2009

I traced a pattern for the pick guard out of a folder and cut it out, then traced it onto the carbon fiber
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

then a rough cut with the band saw
File Attachment:

and after sanding the edges
File Attachment:

and here's how it will mount with the 4-40 SS screws
File Attachment:

the power buttin and HDD light will also be in this piece

I sanded the surface with 320 grit and sprayed it with clear coat. I let that dry then sanded and sprayed again
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I got the cutout done for the bottom LEDs
File Attachment:

mounted
File Attachment:

holes drilled for top LEDs and board mounted
File Attachment:

I glued on the lower string mount
File Attachment:

then proceeded to form the 4 strings and mount them
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I took each string and sanded it lengthwise with 2000 grit, then hand polished each with #3 novus and a microfiber cloth. this leaves the surface not perfectly smooth but still clear

I also got the 4 UV cathodes sleeved
File Attachment:

along with the switch and wiring for them
File Attachment:

thats all for now, but I'll be working on it more tonight :D

More
18 Jul 2010 02:37 #7257 by SXRguyinMA
12/11/2009

UPDATE TIME!! :D

after the two stacks of wood were dry, I sanded one side of each nice and smooth, then glued them together. Once they're dry I'll sand one edge smooth again,a nd trace out the guitar side profile onto it, then cut it out and end up with a 2-piece mold.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

More
18 Jul 2010 02:37 #7258 by SXRguyinMA
I also made this piece with 12 UV LEDs that I frosted with 2000 grit that will mount as shown in the PSU to help light the cover up. I've got some bright white LEDs on the way that I"ll put right under the music note to light it up as well
File Attachment:

The idea popped into my head to put some frets on the neck for realism. I marked out the lines as shown
File Attachment:

Then cut the pieces of acrlic rod to rough length
File Attachment:

Then it was onto figuring out the best way to mount them. On real guitars they're recessed into the neck itself.

To get this effect I used my dremel with the spiral cutter and the grout removal attatchment. I clamped the ruler to the neck to act as a guide to cut along.

I set the depth of the bit to roughly 1/2 the diameter of the acrylic rod
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

First one cut, with a piece of rod in it to show how it'll mount
File Attachment:

And after I cut them all
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

After they were cut I used a small square file to smooth out the grooves and remove any excess acrylic from cutting

I then fit each rod into its groove then sanded down the ends until they fit perfectly. then I sanded each one lengthwise with 220 grit to give them a nice frosted look
File Attachment:

then I peeled back a little bit of backing paper from each groove and put some acrylic cement in each groove multiple times to soften it up. Then I just layed each rod into its groove one at a time

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I also found these that I'm going to use as the tuning knobs on the side of the head. I drilled small holes into the sides of the head that these will go into. I just need to hit them again with a bigger drill bit, then I think I'll heat each one up and just press it in to get a nice snug fit

File Attachment:

Thats all for now. Hopefully I can get more done tomorrow night, but I'll definitely get more done on monday.

I had to place another order with performance pcs for a few more things, that shipped today from them so I should see it tuesday hopefully.

Until next time, stay tuned :D

More
18 Jul 2010 02:38 #7259 by SXRguyinMA
12/17/2009

ok smallish upadte. I've got both sides formed, I jsut bought an 18" metal brake @ harbor freight this morning. I'm going to bend a strip of green plexi 90ยบ then cut it into pieces to use for brackets to secure the top and bottom to the sides. I've got pics, havent had time to upload them.

I may not update again until after christmas when its done, I need all the time I can get @ this point to finish it, but I'll definitely post up more progress!

12/22/2009

HUGE UPDATE coming probably tomorrow.

IT WILL BE FINISHED TONIGHT!!!

I've got tons of pics and a vid or two ready to upload, so probably tomorrow I'll get them up here. It came out better than I expected, and looks AMAZING.

We have 1958 guests and one member online

supportus