2009 - Bad Year for Gaming?

More
10 Oct 2009 00:39 #147 by Shibumi
I have to say, the closer we get to 2010, the more and more I'm of the opinion that 2009 has been one of the biggest gaming letdown years in a while. We're running out of time and I have yet to see a whole lot of anything good coming from this year.

Now this is just my opinion on the games I was waiting for, but I'll share what I think was a huge let down to me in general...

StarCraft 2 - pushed back some more
Dawn of War 2 - turned out to be a giant pile of junk (Not that its a terrible game, but after you play it, you'd rather be playing Company of Heroes instead)
Left 4 Dead2 - Got announced while L4D1 is still a broken\buggy mess (They're working on it, I know but I don't have a lot of faith. Maybe November will take me by surprise here.)
Aion - Played the beta and wasn't impressed one bit.
Halo 3: ODST - I dont' really need to go into detail here, but bottom line is... 6 hour, terrible storyline on Legendary? One of the achievements is to go through a level without firing a single shot on Legendary. I'm sorry but that should be impossible in a halo game.
Operation Flashpoint 2 - I Don't have personal experience here, but from what I can tell it plays like a giant piece of junk on the PC, a clearly marketed Console game from a company that used to be a shining light in realistic shooters for the PC.

There's still hope yet, I'm anxiously awaiting Borderlands, Super Mario Bros Wii, and CoD Modern Warfare 2. But if these flop, I think 2009 is a bust gaming year.

In the opposite corner though...
Batman - Arkham Asylum and Red Faction: Guerrilla were both insanely amazing games for the console. I guess console has it going on this year at least, poor PC.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Oct 2009 05:04 #149 by Tim
Replied by Tim on topic RE: 2009 - Bad Year for Gaming?
I'll agree with you on 2009 being a let down. Don't forget about the broken trash that was supposed to be Resident Evil 5. Red Faction was in fact as they say "dope". Get some phys-x on that baby and you got yourself a good time. Seriously Red Faction has my vote for multi-player of the year.

I'm also trying to understand why so many games have been pushed back to Q4 or later and then I'm reminded of those 3 simple words. Call........of........Duty! Let's face it this game will be a juggernaut on marketing and brand recognition alone. I'm actually on the review list for it and I think I'll have and interesting angle for two reasons.First I've not played Modern Warfare one (fresh eyes) and second I'm aware of the hype machine and can there for ignore it. I really do feel that a lot of publishers have pushed their titles to 2010 because they don't want to be anywhere near something like Modern Warfare 2 and it's billions of dollars of marketing.

I remember back in January of this year I was hearing so much buzz that 2009 was going to be the best year in gaming yet. What happened?

~Tim
My mom says I'm cool.

More
10 Oct 2009 10:36 #151 by garfi3ld
why dont we post up a little editorial on 2009's gaming? I think the two of you have touched on something interesting

Wes

More
13 Oct 2009 21:17 #223 by Shibumi

garfi3ld wrote: why dont we post up a little editorial on 2009's gaming? I think the two of you have touched on something interesting

Hrm... not a bad idea. I'll have to keep this in mind and work on something. Dunno how we might collaborate, but if we could make a joint editorial that'd be cool. Thoughts Tim?

More
13 Oct 2009 21:34 #226 by Tim
Replied by Tim on topic RE: 2009 - Bad Year for Gaming?
Yeah man I think a joint feature is a great idea.

~Tim
My mom says I'm cool.

More
14 Oct 2009 05:02 #236 by garfi3ld

We have 1935 guests and no members online

supportus