Should I even ask? XboxNone

More
22 May 2013 05:31 #30951 by Leonresevil2
Anyone paid attention to the Xbox One reveal? Thoughts?

I can post up links, but I figure most people don't care, and rightfully so since it was a bit of a console suicide.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2013 05:53 #30952 by trgtprctc
I am curious why you think it was console suicide. I watched the first 40 minutes of the reveal and have never wanted a console so much. I cannot see it replacing my gaming rig for most games, as I play most games via keyboard and mouse. However, the integration of gestures and voice commands through kinect to control games, movies, social interaction, skype, live TV, and more was pretty damn impressive. I am strongly inclined to replace my PS3 with one. The inclusion of a Blu-Ray drive was smart for those of us who like to have favorite movie collections on physical media. I have become a fan of Windows 8 and have developed an appreciation of the Modern UI design language. With the impending improvements teased for Windows 8.1 / Blue later this year, this setup should be tough for Sony to beat.

More
22 May 2013 06:33 #30953 by garfi3ld
I was busy writing all day, can you guys post up a little info. I'm so in the dark but don't have time to read all over the net to catch up on it right now. :(

Wes

More
22 May 2013 06:39 #30954 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Should I even ask? XboxNone
I'm not sold on the voice commands, or that the fact that Kinect is always on and always listening. We were joking in the office today about a new way to kill campers, yelling really loud "XBOX WATCH TV" and it would switch them from in game to TV. A good majority of what I saw was focused around sports. If they were pioneering into e-sports, which I feel is a little closer to the crowd I want to associate with instead of colleg frat boys, I would be a bit more on board.

But what really has me disappointed is no backwards compatibility for 360.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
22 May 2013 06:51 #30955 by Deb0
Replied by Deb0 on topic Should I even ask? XboxNone
The reveal didn't speak to me and from what I understand it didn't go over well with the press too much either. However, it will sell well and many people will enjoy it.

More
22 May 2013 07:16 #30957 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Should I even ask? XboxNone
I saw nothing that interests me whatsoever. This is coming from someone that owns a 360 and doesn't own a PS3.

More
22 May 2013 08:59 #30962 by garfi3ld

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lersar, h4lt

More
22 May 2013 10:38 - 22 May 2013 10:53 #30963 by Deb0
Replied by Deb0 on topic Should I even ask? XboxNone
Spoiler: The dog dies.

In actual news:
- Locked HDD
- Not always on but "Always-On"
- Fees for buying used

Welcome to a console I won't buy.

Also this: www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-21-ph...-games-and-red-rings
Last edit: 22 May 2013 10:53 by Deb0. Reason: Phil Harrison is a sexy man.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2

More
22 May 2013 15:07 #30965 by trgtprctc
All fair points. If one has no interest in Kinect, a HTPC build will be far more flexible. I am simply intrigued by the novel proprietary features they teased. Time will tell as more info becomes available how useful it really would be. Such as how many devices are truly compatible with the One for live TV switching. I am not terribly worried about Big Brother watching or listening through the Kinect. If someone really wants to see my hairy ass in my underwear farting in front of the TV, they should not be deprived! :woohoo:

More
22 May 2013 15:57 #30967 by Wingcmdr77
We'll just have to wait and see what happens when the smoke clears.

For now, well all have the old reliable PC for our gaming needs!

More
22 May 2013 18:34 #30970 by X-Infinity-Zero
Here is a great list put together by IGN. It pretty much sums everything up and people are still not happy.

www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/22/xbox-one...-we-do-and-dont-know

More
22 May 2013 18:49 - 22 May 2013 18:51 #30973 by X-Infinity-Zero
Im a gamer. I could care less if the thing can be used to watch tv. I buy a gaming system for gaming...not tv.

You cant swap the hard drive. Its only 500gb and its been said that the OS on the system takes up a good portion of the drive.

Games are MANDATORY installs. Game discs are only meant to install the game on the system. Blu-rays can hold A Lot of data. With what i said above about the hard drive, i can see the drive filling up pretty quickly.

The Xbox will not function without the kinect. The kinect is always on and listening. This is by far creepy as hell and the fact that you cant remove it without rendering the system useless is stupid.

If you want to bum a game off a friend to play or try before you buy, you have to do 1 of 2 things... Ether log onto that friends account on your system to play the game or pay the full MSRP of the game to play it on your account.

Sony has already confirmed that used games can and will be playable on the PS4.

They didnt show any games other than CoD and some sports games... and those were just game trailers. Not actual game play on stage. Sony showed a portion of their exclusives right off the bat with real game play.

Xbox must be connected within a 24 hour period. If not then the system will not function. According to Microsoft's Phill Harrison, If you are somewhere without any Internet connection at all, such as a military base, you will NOT be able to use Xbox One.

No digital content that you have purchased will carry over into the new system.

No backwards compatibility. I know the PS4 is the same way but at least Sony is offering a streaming service to access the entire back catalog of PS titles that can also be played on any mobile device.

And as a final note. The Xbox looks like a damn VCR....
Last edit: 22 May 2013 18:51 by X-Infinity-Zero.

More
22 May 2013 18:58 #30975 by Lersar
I agree with a lot of those points, but I think all of the major 3 are saving their software titles for E3, which I'm actually excited about. The previous few years have focused on hardware and features, and less on games. I'm hoping the press conferences will just be packed with games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: draymac

More
22 May 2013 19:03 #30977 by X-Infinity-Zero
I'm excited about a lot of the PS4 titles that were shown but if Final Fantasy Versus 13 is announced for ps4,then that it...I'm sold. I'm an RPG buff and this is a game iv been waiting for since 2006.

More
22 May 2013 19:10 #30978 by Lersar

X-Infinity-Zero wrote: I'm excited about a lot of the PS4 titles that were shown but if Final Fantasy Versus 13 is announced for ps4,then that it...I'm sold. I'm an RPG buff and this is a game iv been waiting for since 2006.

You and I, we're gonna get a long just fine. :)

More
22 May 2013 20:36 #30980 by h4lt
Replied by h4lt on topic Should I even ask? XboxNone

garfi3ld wrote:

Came here to post this. Good stuff :)

I'll stick with my Wii U. It has most of the same multimedia capabilities. The biggest feature I <3 is the off-screen play. If someone else is watching TV I can still play current games + old SNES games on the Wii U gamepad.

More
22 May 2013 23:41 #30986 by Leonresevil2
I'm glad to see the discussion took off, and there are a variety of opinions.
I considered it a suicide, as it abandons most strengths of a console. Borrowing games from friends now costs money, I have no idea how rentals will work, discs just function as CD keys, and it ends up like a PC with worse features. Daily online requirements, required hardware even if the games you own don't use it, and games are guaranteed to be even higher priced this gen. It could have the greatest exclusives ever, but I couldn't be asked to pay likely $400 in hardware and $75 per game and whatever they charge for online and extras. For the games, I can wait and emulate them on my pc.

If Windows 8.1 or 9 said all your old software wasn't backwards compatible, required a webcam and internet to run, and locked in your hard drive, I'd say that would be an OS suicide. Some would still get it, but there would be a notable migration to alternatives. I love the new Microsoft UI, but I'm not convinced on this system now.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
23 May 2013 00:01 - 23 May 2013 00:03 #30988 by X-Infinity-Zero
I just think the fact that the Kinect is REQUIRED to be hooked up for the system to even function is retarded. So if the kinect breaks for some reason then the system is rendered useless. How stupid is that.... Plus the Kinect is always on and always listening. No thanks...

Then they come out and say that you cant trade or buy used games and that the PHYSICAL media "disc" is only used to install that game on the system. So im paying $60+ for a damn blu-ray disc that i wont need after the game is installed. Why not make the damn game digital only and cut the price down since there wont be a need for physical media?

Then they come out and say that Indy developers will not be able to self publish their games on the new system. Sorry but there are some great Indy titles out there and im glad Nintendo and Sony have embraced them on their new systems.
Last edit: 23 May 2013 00:03 by X-Infinity-Zero.

More
23 May 2013 00:13 #30989 by Lersar

X-Infinity-Zero wrote: Why not make the damn game digital only and cut the price down since there wont be a need for physical media?

On that note, shouldn't the Xbox One at least be able to play digital content from the 360?

More
23 May 2013 00:17 #30990 by Leonresevil2

Lersar wrote:

X-Infinity-Zero wrote: Why not make the damn game digital only and cut the price down since there wont be a need for physical media?

On that note, shouldn't the Xbox One at least be able to play digital content from the 360?

Yea, it doesn't make sense to not support the old software. It's reasonable to have issues reading old discs or rendering if they changed video cards again, but the digital software should work fine. PS4 is bringing a whole new system and dumping the old accounts, so Microsoft probably decided they can do something similar.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
23 May 2013 00:30 #30992 by X-Infinity-Zero
I forget where i read it but a rep from Microsoft stated that the system architecture is different in the new system and that the games and digital content from the 360 are not supported by it.

But im sure they will re-release everything you bought on the 360 so you can buy it again.

Im not sure how Sony is handling this.

More
23 May 2013 00:42 #30993 by garfi3ld
they could have done what the PS3 did and emulate it all, I'm sure that wasn't a cheap investment for Sony with all of the software emulation they did. But it was nice of them to do.

Wes

More
23 May 2013 00:46 #30994 by Lersar

garfi3ld wrote: they could have done what the PS3 did and emulate it all, I'm sure that wasn't a cheap investment for Sony with all of the software emulation they did. But it was nice of them to do.

My 360 library wasn't a cheap investment either. :D

At least I could sell them if I wanted to. What about the next iteration? Are Xbox One games going to be even more worthless because second-hand is such a PITA?

More
23 May 2013 00:51 #30995 by garfi3ld
I'm not disagreeing

Although to be a devils advocate

There isn't anything forcing you to sell your original Xbox, much like us owning a nintendo, super nintendo, n64, gamecube, ect. Backwards compatibility is a relatively new concept when it comes to consoles.

I'm way more concerned about it needing to be online once a day, locking games to your account, not being able to rent, ect.

Ironically, those are all things that we deal with steam as well. Games are locked to one account, one set of achievements, ect. Yet for some reason I'm fine with steam and I want to kick microsoft in the balls.

Wes

More
23 May 2013 00:53 #30996 by X-Infinity-Zero
I know the PS4 isn't backwards compatible at all ether but i will give it to Sony for finding a way to counter that by offering a streaming service for the PS4 and mobile devices to have access to the complete back catalog of PlayStation titles.

I'm not sure what the service will cost but I'm sure everything will be explained at E3.

I hope this will be like Netflix where you pay a monthly fee and can play anything you want. If this is how its setup then i could think this setup could easily be ported to future systems without having to lose anything.

I love the PlayStation Plus service and i hope this streaming service is offered with Plus or at least a discount.

Plus being able to play the full game while its downloading from the store with no wait is pretty cool.

More
23 May 2013 00:55 #30997 by X-Infinity-Zero
I think we are fine with steam because half the time we are not pay $60+ for the game.

I hardly ever pay that much for a game anymore.

More
23 May 2013 00:57 #30998 by Lersar
Backwards compatibility is only a new concept because of technology limitations. As the NES/SNES/64/GC evolved so did the media. While its true I can use the previous gen console, it's not practical. So in my opinion, it comes down to a decision not to include the technology to allow backwards compatibility in leiu of saving money. Which not only affects my how I'll consider investing in their software, but is ironic given the gross amount of new technologies we're paying for, like the nifty Kinect thing.

I'd rather pay extra to play legacy games and buy an add-on if I wanted to be able to control the system with my voice/gestures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: garfi3ld

More
23 May 2013 02:13 #30999 by h4lt
Replied by h4lt on topic Should I even ask? XboxNone
Hahaha another good one from Reddit :)

Why Steam will fail.

More
23 May 2013 03:05 #31000 by trgtprctc

X-Infinity-Zero wrote: I think we are fine with steam because half the time we are not pay $60+ for the game.

I hardly ever pay that much for a game anymore.

That will be key to the level of success they see. Steam sells a ton of games, because the price is so reasonable that people are not worried about resale, trading, or sharing. Too early to call how MS will handle it. However, with EA being a key launch partner, big discounts may be hard to come by on the major titles any time soon after launch.

More
23 May 2013 03:52 #31003 by X-Infinity-Zero
Love watching these guys. Here is some more info on the Xbox reveal.

We have 1988 guests and one member online

supportus