Should I even ask? XboxNone

More
23 May 2013 05:38 #31014 by X-Infinity-Zero
I agree with this video. If gamers don't make their voices heard on these issues and Xbox gets away with doing all this, then all other companies will follow and it will soon become the norm. Its only been a day since the reveal and iv never seen this much backlash in chats, youtube, facebook, twitter and so many other places.

If Sony was going to implement anything like this then i hope they are taking notes and listening to the gaming community.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2013 05:39 #31016 by X-Infinity-Zero
Also Renegade mentioned that people are now saying that the system will not be doing all the graphics processing, most of that will be done on the cloud taking some of the load off the system.

More
23 May 2013 05:43 #31018 by garfi3ld
I doubt that, they have been clear in saying that the system will need to reach out once every 24 hours. Not 24/7

Wes

More
23 May 2013 07:15 #31019 by Arxon
Replied by Arxon on topic Should I even ask? XboxNone
I have owned one console in my life... the original Xbox. Got rid of it after a month and never looked back.

More
23 May 2013 08:13 #31021 by Deb0
Replied by Deb0 on topic Should I even ask? XboxNone
It's hardware specs are robust, true. However, I find the business practices and limitations being placed on it terrible to the point I may just stick to PC. The ball is in Sony's court but we all know they will screw it up somehow so HOORAY PC MASTER RACE!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arxon

More
23 May 2013 09:34 #31023 by Leonresevil2
I have noticed the marketing of 'cloud gaming', I could see the games being offloaded for some. When the brand new hardware isn't looking at 1080p 60FPS, you can tell it's not strong enough. They are keeping small FOVs and giant guns to reduce render amounts, it's only going to get worse as these consoles will probably have to last 7 years at current specs.

I'm alright with Steam limits, as I can play offline, I can install on other machines without keys or discs, I can expect regular patches (unlike current Xbox issues of punishing devs for patching), indies can publish easily, and I'm not restricted to one small hard drive and needing a webcam device. Sales, news, and strong community features just make it better.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
More
23 May 2013 17:14 #31025 by X-Infinity-Zero
Thats bull... I still use my ps3 to play PS and PS2 games when the mood strikes. Im an RPG buff and PS and PS2 had a lot of great RPGs that you just dont see anymore on the new systems. I love the fact that i can still play all the Final Fantasy titles, Xenosaga, Chrono Trigger, twisted metal and a bunch of other titles i love.

Microsoft has got things ass backwards... Yea i can keep my old system but i honestly dont want 2 gaming systems taking up space and draining up power.

At least Sony is offering their streaming service for the entire back catalog of PS games.

More
23 May 2013 18:24 #31028 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Should I even ask? XboxNone
I'd be interested to see where he got those numbers. Given the previous generation's mess of partially-backwards-compatibile and only a fraction of models backwards-compatible, it would be easy to twist numbers in a not so flattering way. I wonder what percentage use the Wii, which is really the only current gen system to allow BC (though I think some new cheap models may exclude the feature), use it for GameCube. I do quite a bit, and the same for my 60GB PS3.

More
23 May 2013 19:52 #31034 by Deb0
The following user(s) said Thank You: trgtprctc

More
23 May 2013 19:54 #31035 by Lersar

"These architectures are a generation ahead of the highest end PC on the market and their unique design of the hardware, the underlying operating system and the live service layer create one of the most compelling platforms to reimagine game mechanics."

Really...

More
23 May 2013 22:11 #31038 by X-Infinity-Zero
Where in the hell did he do his research? So if this is true then these systems should be better than garfi3ld's system lol.

I know plenty of PC's that would stomp all over these systems.

More
23 May 2013 22:12 #31039 by garfi3ld
Don't you know the new consoles have more than 16 cores and quad gpu's :P

Wes

More
23 May 2013 22:16 #31040 by X-Infinity-Zero
If they don't have flashy HUE lights then I'm not buying.

Everyone knows flashy lights makes anything run faster. :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: trgtprctc

More
24 May 2013 00:34 #31049 by Leonresevil2
These links are just further convincing that the gaming industry is becoming a joke. Maybe they are more advanced than the highest end tablets and Google cloudtops and smartphones, MAYBE he's comparing to the highest end PC for under $400, but damn.
And backwards compatibility is pretty clearly in demand, considering the original PS3s selling for way more after the supply ended and all models lost emulation. People don't want to play the old games that make the VC thrive? Have you taken a look on youtube, there are tons of people still LP'ing old games.

Maybe it's because the X360 back catalog isn't as strong as PS2, PS1, SNES, and others. Maybe it's because those X360 games would overlap with the further milking of their franchises. Most likely I'd say a large number of their 'players' are the casual Kinect crowd that never owned a game console before, since they seem to think Kinect was such a success that it shouldn't be an option.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
24 May 2013 17:47 #31062 by Lersar
Of all the "changes" of the Xbone (heard this and I'm sticking with it), I am a litte amused when I see things like:

"We can't play used games?!"
"The game is tied to our accounts?!"
"I can't borrow games from my friends?!"

Maybe saying the next-gen consoles are essentially PCs is more accurate than we thought, but for different reasons...

More
24 May 2013 18:46 #31063 by X-Infinity-Zero
Now this would be some bull if this were to ever happen.

www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/24/xbox-one...ect-2-use-visual-drm

More
24 May 2013 19:02 #31064 by Lersar

X-Infinity-Zero wrote: Now this would be some bull if this were to ever happen.

www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/24/xbox-one...ect-2-use-visual-drm

I'm not a conspiracy-paranoid type of person. But the doors that this opens really scares me. Not limited to just what Microsoft and Xbone are doing, but what others may try when they see it and how it works.

Microsoft has responded to fresh privacy concerns over a patent from 2011 that suggests Kinect 2 may be used as a form of visual DRM, should the company decide to implement such a measure in Xbox One.

ExtremeTech discovered the filing back in November, which is labelled as covering "content distribution regulation by viewing user." Theoretically, if the Kinect establishes there are more people in the room than is permitted according to the licence that users agree to when renting of purchasing content, the movie won't play.

"The users consuming the content on a display device are monitored so that if the number of user-views licensed is exceeded, remedial action may be taken," it reads.

More
24 May 2013 20:54 #31085 by renegade
You know at 1st all the AV features etc were COOL, but after thinking about it, looking into it more etc, Xbox One is a glorified DVR that might play good games, and with the need to install all games to the HD tells me more so that it is a DVR with a PC attached to it not a specialized integrated console.

I think MS has lost before the gates even open, an Sony will be laughing all the way to the bank.

More
24 May 2013 20:55 #31086 by L0rdG1gabyt3

garfi3ld wrote: Don't you know the new consoles have more than 16 cores and quad gpu's :P

Well yeah.. If you take into account all the back end cloud compute they are utilizing with this thing.

Marc Whitten wrote: This year, we will have more than 300,000 servers for Xbox One, more than the entire world's computing power in 1999.

That's a lot of power, even by today's standards. They can use this extra power to do off site physics and graphics. I don't remember where I read it, but with the proper development and utilization of the server computation, they could feasibly put together a REAL FPS with more than a small handful of players. Battlefield size matches with 32 v 32 that we PC gamers have been used to for years.

More
24 May 2013 21:04 - 24 May 2013 21:07 #31089 by garfi3ld
If the Xbox One has cloud computing people are going to hate it. That means that you will HAVE to have broadband even for single player games. The biggest concern for me will be what that means for the future. What will happen to your games when you go to play them when the next seystem after the Xbox One comes out? Do you think they are going to keep those servers up for years for people to be able to go back and play their retro games?

edit
here is a link, it also is updated to say 30k servers
arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/05/how-the-x...rom-cloud-computing/

Wes
Last edit: 24 May 2013 21:07 by garfi3ld.

More
24 May 2013 21:12 #31090 by garfi3ld
www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publishers-to-re...es-at-retail/0116137

interesting read talking about how they are going to do pre-owned games

Wes

More
24 May 2013 21:19 #31091 by Lersar

garfi3ld wrote: What will happen to your games when you go to play them when the next seystem after the Xbox One comes out? Do you think they are going to keep those servers up for years for people to be able to go back and play their retro games?

Anti-backwards compatibility ^2

More
24 May 2013 23:55 #31092 by Deb0
Replied by Deb0 on topic Should I even ask? XboxNone
Apparently the 10% this was clarified. That biggest discount you will see on used games is 10% less then new...

www.consoledeals.co.uk/blog/exclusive-xb...ses-are-30-each-2201

All in all a fucking monumentally terrible idea that seems to just get worse and worse the more I look at it. I had hope for this generation. I fear it may be the last for consoles.

More
27 May 2013 08:18 #31131 by Leonresevil2
Had an interesting discussion on movies with the family, and how it's more appealing to RedBox ($1 a day maybe) instead of seeing in theaters ($7 per person). Imagine if RedBox or Netflix charged per viewer, using the Kinect to track it.

You may think it's weird, but either that is wrong, or charging per person in a family is wrong in theaters. Something needs to change for that industry at least, and I wouldn't be surprised to see movie companies jump on the Kinect for a great new way to stabilize pricing.

PC may have some of the game limitations, but it's open hardware and relatively open software (mod support). The advantage of consoles shrinks largely when game distribution becomes a burden, and an HTPC can do the same things far easier.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
28 May 2013 01:53 - 28 May 2013 01:53 #31141 by trgtprctc
I have debated building a HTPC for the living room to replace my PS3. If the E3 info shows Sony having similar restrictions, it may be enough to push me that direction. I still love the technology behind Kinect, but I am not a fan of subsidizing the hardware with inflated software prices. I would rather invest in great hardware that I control and then pick up software and media at more reasonable prices via Steam or online media outlets where there is competition for my dollar.
Last edit: 28 May 2013 01:53 by trgtprctc.

More
28 May 2013 01:56 #31142 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Should I even ask? XboxNone
Maybe slightly off topic, but I find it hard to understand why anyone would even build an HTPC when you could just get a Roku box that streams 1080p content flawlessly for a fraction of the price.

www.amazon.com/Roku-4200R-3-Streaming-Pl...ef=cm_cmu_pg__header

More
28 May 2013 03:55 #31143 by Leonresevil2
I'd imagine the HTPC would be for media viewing combined with Steam's Big Picture support for a large number of games, or just gaming on the big screen with a mouse and keyboard for the rest. Roku may hit the demands for most of the market, and if you could work Steam Linux or something into it then it could be amazing if the hardware keeps up.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
28 May 2013 04:00 #31144 by trgtprctc
I agree. If all you are looking for is media streaming, a Roku box would do just fine. The point in the enthusist world is getting 60 - 80% of a gaming rig in the living room with all the benefits of a full blown PC.

More
28 May 2013 04:09 #31145 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Should I even ask? XboxNone
Yeah, guess I really never thought gaming when I thought of a home theater PC. *shrug*

We have 1717 guests and no members online

supportus