Worms: Clan Wars

More
26 Jul 2013 23:08 - 26 Jul 2013 23:09 #31872 by Myndmelt
Worms: Clan Wars was created by Myndmelt

Anybody going to pre order this game? It sounds like something right up our alley in the LAN community. If you pre purchase the game you get a free copy of Worms Revolution. Which is a little tempting to me because I do not have that title yet (I have re-loaded and Ultimate Mayhem). If you already have Worms Revolution you can gift the copy to a friend AND get a 25% discount on a pre-purchase Clan Wars.

"Worms™ Clan Wars is the biggest and best Worms™ game to date - more worms, larger landscapes, more dynamic water, more weapons and more customisation items than ever before. Worms™ Clan Wars is designed to take full advantage of next gen PC hardware. It features beautiful high definition 3D visuals (but still retains the classic 2D gameplay) with new lighting effects, new features to help users interact socially, exciting additions to improve the single player experience, and more of everything a Worms fan could want."

store.steampowered.com/news/11136/
Last edit: 26 Jul 2013 23:09 by Myndmelt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2013 06:33 #31895 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Worms: Clan Wars
didnt I reply to this?

Wes

More
30 Jul 2013 00:23 #31901 by Myndmelt
Replied by Myndmelt on topic Worms: Clan Wars

garfi3ld wrote: didnt I reply to this?

Doesn't that count as a reply?

More
30 Jul 2013 01:22 #31903 by garfi3ld
I typed up a longer reply last time mentioning that I bought the last worms game but still haven't played it.

Wes

More
30 Jul 2013 02:27 #31905 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Worms: Clan Wars

garfi3ld wrote: I typed up a longer reply last time mentioning that I bought the last worms game but still haven't played it.

*Looks at weekly game night disccusion*

*Looks back at Wes*
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2

More
30 Jul 2013 02:37 #31906 by garfi3ld
I'm game, its a new week now right? :D

Wes

More
30 Jul 2013 08:32 #31914 by Leonresevil2
Replied by Leonresevil2 on topic Worms: Clan Wars
It sounds cool, but pricing is probably an issue. Revolution is actually pretty good, of course I got it for about $2.50, so I easily got the enjoyment out of it. I think they will always have overlap problems with Reloaded or which ever one is the popular one. Revolution is kinda ridiculous with the amount of base price plus DLC. It's not CoD where people are willing to abandon for the new version every year, I think they could've done more to make Revolution a legit sequel. Maybe making turns not sluggish even in single player. More worms does not equal more fun, and I get the feeling they don't understand what really makes the game fun, so they just throw in more things. Classes in Revolution really didn't seem helpful or 'more fun'.

I don't know about you guys, but I couldn't care if there's smartphone app junk, it's a fun LAN game to play with friends and goof around, NOT a competitive game with clans, teams, and the need to check stats anywhere. It seems like they are appealing to a hardcore fanbase, maybe that exists? Like they mention "PC Exclusive", when I don't think that porting the game was ever an issue. The cumbersome native controls make me think it's PC first, so it doesn't hurt PC version when it's ported to consoles.

Good luck to them, but I'll stick with what I have. It's fun, but I don't think the game is engaging enough to be worth the value. Revolution was worth the $2.50 I spent within a night, but I have little draw to return. It's a big hurdle to try and have a multiplayer-focused game with small annual iterations at ANY real price (of course, this is from someone that been bit by CoD and BF twice apiece, and plans to never buy those games again), I'd rather see it as a F2P model but I'm not sure how they would monetize it. At the same time, their costs would be trivial as they are not hosting servers. Go at it TF2 style, and just make the money with some cosmetics from Steam Workshop.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
30 Jul 2013 08:54 #31915 by garfi3ld

Leonresevil2 wrote: Good luck to them, but I'll stick with what I have. It's fun, but I don't think the game is engaging enough to be worth the value. Revolution was worth the $2.50 I spent within a night, but I have little draw to return

The best part about worms is playing with your friends

Considering they are good about putting all worms games on sale a lot I don't think the price will be an issue as well.

Wes

More
30 Jul 2013 09:24 - 30 Jul 2013 09:28 #31917 by Leonresevil2

garfi3ld wrote: The best part about worms is playing with your friends

Considering they are good about putting all worms games on sale a lot I don't think the price will be an issue as well.

Agreed, but it's a bit of a catch-22. Maybe 8 of my friends have Revolution, compared to probably 40 who have Reloaded. It may have gone on sale a lot, but it seems far fewer people picked it up. From what I can tell, that's because:
1) Why should I buy a new version of a game I have, if no one else has? No one jumps in because no one HAS jumped in yet.
2) Giving away Revolution for getting the new one is like giving away Black Ops 2 for buying Black Ops 3. Both have passable single-player experiences, and the design is to push new users to the newer multiplayer experience. Some will still go back and play the previous, but unless the new one completely fails, the majority will be on the new version.

I'm not sure why else Rev doesn't have the same kind of player base, unless my friends list is an exceptional case, although I'd wager it's not, as Myndmelt is enough of a fan to be interested and watch the new version, yet never picked up the previous. I think a lot of people neglected it, and unless some marketing magic happens, I expect similar cases with Clan Wars, and that chicken/egg scenario of no one jumping in a multiplayer game is the best way to kill a game.

Even removing the pay wall can leave a multiplayer game dying, we can probably rattle off a ton of games that had population decay snowball into a lifeless server list. This is definitely a friends game, and can depend on small groups picking it up, but I do feel it has overlap issues. I do like the water effects in the new one. I'd be up for playing that one.

As I've discussed with Adam, it's hard to justify purchasing some multiplayer-focused games, as people won't always want to play, and it takes a certain something to get people to stick with games. Even with all the friends that have Reloaded, I'd bet that you, me, Keary, and Adam could add up our time in Civ 5 and completely demolish the total game hours of Reloaded. That's an engrossing multiplayer game that pulls people in regularly, despite wrapping its fingers around your weekend when it whispers your name. Worms... I can't say anything of the sort, despite knowing it is fun. Fun, but I think it lacks that addictive quality, not just personally, but from judging playtimes and play frequency of other people.

I realize I'm probably overthinking, but I'm enjoying talking. Maybe it warrants another thread, but yea, I'm not getting the game, nothing really against it; I think it could be produced in a more effective F2P method, but some people will be willing to put down 20 or so bucks to have fun with friends, and I'm glad for them. It's cheaper than a night out.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
Last edit: 30 Jul 2013 09:28 by Leonresevil2.

More
30 Jul 2013 10:17 #31918 by garfi3ld
I would guess that this is more related to Reloaded haven been out for three years and revolution for less than one year. Also Reloaded we have had two tournaments with.

Of course I'm not defending the game because I haven't actually played it yet. But I will have more to day later this week :D

Wes

More
30 Jul 2013 10:22 #31920 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Worms: Clan Wars
I can't say I'm planning on buying it right away. Hell, someone gifted Rev to me and I haven't even bothered to install it yet. I'll wait and see what people think. Reloaded is plenty of fun at LANs as is.

More
30 Jul 2013 11:09 #31921 by garfi3ld
install Rev, I think we are going to do a gaming night of it this week. I needed to check on a few things, but I was thinking Thursday night.

Wes

More
30 Jul 2013 16:51 #31924 by Myndmelt
Replied by Myndmelt on topic Worms: Clan Wars

Dreyvas wrote: I can't say I'm planning on buying it right away. Hell, someone gifted Rev to me and I haven't even bothered to install it yet. I'll wait and see what people think. Reloaded is plenty of fun at LANs as is.

Someone should gift me Rev. :silly:

More
30 Jul 2013 17:38 #31925 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Worms: Clan Wars

garfi3ld wrote: install Rev, I think we are going to do a gaming night of it this week. I needed to check on a few things, but I was thinking Thursday night.

Awesome, will do.

More
31 Jul 2013 05:09 #31932 by Leonresevil2
Man, so many gaming events planned, it's like we're a gaming group or something!

I'll have to see if it runs on my Eee, I'd imagine so.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

We have 2515 guests and no members online

supportus