League of Legends (LoL)

More
02 Nov 2013 12:27 #33222 by Wingcmdr77
Need some help with this game! Have never played it before and I can hardly even pull myself away from Star Trek Online (played since Beta) Did take 4 months off from it after Season 4. I didnt at the time like where it was going.

Anyhow LanOC is a big fan of League of Legends. Someone ever right a general guide to it? In order to optimize yours chances off winning, does and don't etc?

Who here do I turn to for help with it??? I cannot wait to give my Brother and Sister in law a run for their money. They've been playing since close to day one. As they are over a thousand miles away it will be great to connect with them this way. :silly:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2013 13:53 #33223 by Davey_Boy
Replied by Davey_Boy on topic League of Legends (LoL)
I've been wanting to maybe make some LoL how-to guides. I just rarely ever have time to play and when I do I play SMITE alot now haha I can try to make some :P

More
02 Nov 2013 16:15 #33224 by Deb0
Replied by Deb0 on topic League of Legends (LoL)
All in all the game isn't difficult to play. It is just one of those type of games were there are so many little eccentricities to master that you really have to put time into it similar to how you get better at FPS games. You learn the maps, the heros move and the items.

More
02 Nov 2013 23:49 #33225 by Arxon
Replied by Arxon on topic League of Legends (LoL)

More
03 Nov 2013 01:03 #33226 by Wingcmdr77
Replied by Wingcmdr77 on topic League of Legends (LoL)
Appreciated, Any help will do. If you read in my post, the primary reason for me playing the game is two close, but far away family play it ALL the time, well Half WoW and Half LoL!

I never cared for WoW.

More
03 Nov 2013 06:08 #33228 by Arxon
Replied by Arxon on topic League of Legends (LoL)
Playing practice games in LoL against bots can help you a lot.

More
03 Nov 2013 16:37 #33229 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic League of Legends (LoL)
There is a big learning curve, but now is actually a good time to get into it. In a few weeks they will be moving into "preseason 4", which will bring a lot of changes to the map, items, champions, etc. There will be a lot of things for everyone to learn, even those who have been playing for years.

The best learning path I've seen for friends that have gotten into the game is to start with bots as mentioned, and when you get the urge to play PvP, start with ARAM (all random all mid). It is a game mode where you play 5v5, but there is only one lane and buying items is restricted to when you die. You also get a random champion out of the pool that you own/are free at that time, so it is a good opportunity to learn different champions and you don't have to worry about things like if your champion fits into a team composition, counters, etc. It's also a great way to learn how to team fight, since that's essentially all the mode is.

More
04 Nov 2013 13:38 - 04 Nov 2013 13:43 #33231 by Wingcmdr77
All the Feedback is apppreciated. Say I catch on in a modest amount of time, I'm not a stranger to MMOs of course. How long am I looking at reaching level 30? Just an average guess? Months a year?

My brother and sister in law are almost always - Support and Marksman. What Class best counters them or can at least help equal them???

For Instance One is a Tide Caller a Nami, I'm told. And laughed when he spend 7800RP on her???
Last edit: 04 Nov 2013 13:43 by Wingcmdr77.

More
05 Nov 2013 02:37 #33246 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic League of Legends (LoL)
It depends on how much you play of course. If you play custom games (essentially where it is just you and bots, even on your team) you really don't get a lot, but if you play Co-op vs AI (bots) in matchmaking, as in you create a party or roll solo and let them match you with a team, you get a lot more. ARAMs is a pretty quick way to get some levels too. Probably looking at a few months if you play at a regular pace. Especially if you get sucked into it like most. :D

There aren't really counters to support and marksman; they are positions, archetypes if you will, on the map. Generally you will lane against an opposing pair of marksman/support (there are some advanced tactics like swapping solo top to bottom that could be consider countering in all technicality but you shouldn't worry about that yet). Individual champions can be countered, but when you're just getting into the game, you are much better off just finding a small champion pool that you feel comfortable with and enjoy playing than trying to counter your opponent.

And yes, Riot makes the money. When new champions release they are generally more expensive and decrease gradually over time, sometimes go on sale. Also, there is are two different currencies: RP and IP. RP you buy with real money, and a new champion generally costs 975RP ($10.00 for all intents and purposes, which is actually 1380RP but the smallest denomination you can buy and have enough to buy the champ). IP on the other hand is earned from playing the game and so naturally the cost is a bit higher: 6300IP for example for a new champ.

But definitely not 7800RP... that would be over $50 for a champion. They haven't spiraled that much out of control... yet. ;)

More
05 Nov 2013 12:41 - 05 Nov 2013 12:42 #33249 by Wingcmdr77
After reading all of this and the Support Forums, I'm going to Choose Morgana (Mage) seem to keep reading that as a Mage, and starting person she is good choice for a beginner.

P.S. P.S. P.S- Thanks for all the help, I hope its going to be a smashing good time, in a couple off months to shut up the traps off two bragging family members... :whistle:
Last edit: 05 Nov 2013 12:42 by Wingcmdr77.

More
05 Nov 2013 17:31 #33250 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic League of Legends (LoL)
play a few different champs that are free each week to get a feel for them. Its not like an MMO, you don't have to pick just one and are stuck with it

Wes

More
06 Nov 2013 14:39 #33254 by Ropplestiltskin
I agree with Wes, try a few champs, see what you like to play.

Ok so I need a bottle of nitro, a stick of Dynamite, a roll of duct tape and ... Oh yeah! a squirrel

More
07 Nov 2013 06:39 #33259 by Wingcmdr77
Thanks to everyone whom replied with tips!

We have 1849 guests and no members online

supportus