Modern Warfare 2 to do away with dedicated servers?

More
18 Oct 2009 01:39 #339 by Dreyvas
kotaku.com/5384057/new-modern-warfare-ma...reshape-pc-community

This is going to be far, far different from what we're used to. Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2009 01:45 #340 by garfi3ld
/me crys

i will be watching closely for more info. I wonder how this will effect lan play

Wes

More
18 Oct 2009 02:05 #341 by Dreyvas
Basically looks like a bullshit move by Activision to me. Fuck you, Bobby Kotick. Fuck you.

More
18 Oct 2009 05:15 #348 by Lersar
i don't even know what to say.

...why do i feel like i'm at a funeral?

More
18 Oct 2009 08:27 #350 by Scootpogo
Why dont they just save them selves a few hundred thousand in programming and keep the old stuff. Plus by releasing the new matchmaking system they're bound do lose a large chunk of the pc community im not sure they're prepared to take that loss.

More
18 Oct 2009 10:41 #358 by garfi3ld
yeah, the last thing we need is ANOTHER program to run while we play games. Almost every company is trying to do something similar. THQ, Valve, blizzard, ect its starting to add up

Wes

More
18 Oct 2009 20:21 #360 by Dreyvas
Agreed. Steam is more than enough for me.

More
18 Oct 2009 22:41 #361 by Reaper
The reason every game company wants to do something similar to this right now is to reduce piracy, at least that's the reason everyone says. In reality, games will still be pirated and hacked private servers will turn up. If they can do it for stuff like WoW, they'll do it for CoD. What they are really doing and no one will currently say is setting the stage for a transactional based system, whether that be per game played or a monthly service. Maybe not now, maybe not in 2 years, but I strongly believe that's where this is headed... Because eventually everyone will cave in and agree to play by the corporate rules. When that happens, they're going to announce, "hey, bandwidth and maintaining servers & this system isn't free, you guys need to pony up more than just the initial $75 for the game" (which is what they'll cost by then). From a business perspective they'd be stupid not to try to go down the MMO transaction model.

What can we, the loyal, paying customers of games like this do? Of course in the long run, unless you gets hundreds of thousands of people all on the same page, not much. I'm going to keep my eyes on this situation and tell them with my dollar, "Hell no" as well as a written note. Sorry, there's still enough other game companies not doing this that I'd rather financially support.

... And now finally the obligatory < /soapbox > :P

More
19 Oct 2009 00:37 #362 by Lersar
if that's the case, 'tis a pirate's life for me

More
19 Oct 2009 00:40 #363 by garfi3ld
I don't even think that some of this would be a problem as long as i don't have monthly fee's and its only one program for all of them (steam)

Wes

More
19 Oct 2009 00:47 #364 by Lersar
which is what i don't understand. its not like activision hasn't enjoyed steam's services in the past.

More
19 Oct 2009 01:18 #365 by garfi3ld
why put money into your competitors pockets when you can make everything twice as difficult and take it all for yourself! Kindof like how (in some cases)the digital copys cost as much as at the store, but obviously they dont have to pay for the packaging, manufacturing, giving the store their share of profit, and shipping.

Wes

More
19 Oct 2009 01:25 #367 by LinkyPwns
I'm kinda neutral on this situation. Bringing a better online system to keep track of stats and players like steam is nice, but like garfield said I don't want another program running in my background. I am going to probably purchase CODMW2 through steam if it is possible.

More
19 Oct 2009 01:27 #368 by garfi3ld
They could have better tracking while still keeping the option to dedicated servers, look at how tf2 works

Wes

More
19 Oct 2009 01:40 #369 by Shibumi
Guess I'm not paying for this game anymore...

More
19 Oct 2009 01:46 #370 by Lersar
I'll still get in on the 360 on launch. May watch to see how this plays out for PC though.

More
19 Oct 2009 03:41 #374 by Dreyvas

LinkyPwns wrote: I'm kinda neutral on this situation. Bringing a better online system to keep track of stats and players like steam is nice, but like garfield said I don't want another program running in my background. I am going to probably purchase CODMW2 through steam if it is possible.

Did you miss the part where they're getting rid of dedicated servers?

D:

Peer-to-peer matchmaking and hosting for the loss.

More
19 Oct 2009 11:06 #378 by Nacelle
I just read that. What a bunch of BS. If multiplayer is anything like Red Faction: Guerrilla's, it's going to suck. Enter a lobby... Wait for people to enter... Play map... Drop back to lobby and wait some more. There's a petition with almost 50,000 signatures. Can't hurt to put your name on it. www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/petition.html

More
19 Oct 2009 13:42 #380 by Twodavez
55385 Signatures Total, as of right now :-)

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
19 Oct 2009 13:46 #381 by garfi3ld

More
19 Oct 2009 15:40 #385 by Dreyvas
Signed so hard.

Edit: Above 60,000 now! I'm going to post this to my Facebook.

More
19 Oct 2009 15:52 #386 by Lersar
Just signed, 61,400 total signatures.

More
19 Oct 2009 15:54 #387 by Dreyvas
That's fucking awesome, that means hundreds of people are signing this by the minute. I posted a note on Facebook and tagged a bunch of people.

More
19 Oct 2009 17:04 #388 by Twodavez
that is pretty cool. Wonder if it'll do any good? I'm sure they have their software figured out and it would push back a launch date if they were to add something like LAN support...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
19 Oct 2009 17:07 #390 by garfi3ld
or maybe they are pushing back the pc launch because of this new software they thought up.

:mad: damn them

Wes

More
19 Oct 2009 18:32 #391 by Dreyvas
Yep. Getting pretty close to 70,000.

More
19 Oct 2009 18:59 #392 by Twodavez
Is there something wrong with the time stamp? To me it shows Dreyvas's post was at 9:32:02

More
19 Oct 2009 19:14 #394 by Lersar
is that wrong?

edit: ah yes it is lol

More
19 Oct 2009 19:21 #395 by garfi3ld
yet another bug apparently lol

ill look into it

Wes

More
20 Oct 2009 01:45 #411 by Dreyvas
Looks like it should hit 100,000 sigs by sometime tomorrow.

We have 1778 guests and no members online

supportus