Modern Warfare 2 to do away with dedicated servers?

More
21 Oct 2009 00:54 #471 by Nacelle

A post to Robert Bowling's Blog has further follow-up on the uproar over the absence of a dedicated server for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. He lists several areas they feel will benefit from their new approach: Matchmaking & Smoother Gameplay, Playlists and Private Matches, Party System and Friendslist, and Cheat / Hack Free Games. On that last topic, he seems to believe IWnet will eliminate aim-bots and such: "The biggest benefit of using IWnet by far is the fact that you don’t have to worry about joining a server full of aim-bots, wallhacks, or cheaters. Or relying on the server admin of the server to constantly be monitoring, banning, and policing it. Modern Warfare 2 on PC allows us to control the quality of the game much more than ever before as well as utilizing the VAC (Valve-Anti-Cheat) system to keep games clean of hackers and cheaters." Also, there's an interview with Bowling on IGN that discusses the game, but none of the recent controversy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Oct 2009 02:30 #476 by Dreyvas
That's lovely. Now just give us the alternate option to run dedicated servers and I'm sure everyone will be fine with IWNet.

More
21 Oct 2009 02:47 #480 by garfi3ld
his point is null, valve uses VAC (obviously) and they also allow you to use dedicated servers. Everything he said could be achieved with a closer relationship with valve and steam.

Wes

More
21 Oct 2009 03:37 #490 by Tim
Online petitions are stupid and they don't work.

The L4D2 Boycott was hypocritical rubbish.

Devil May Cry 4? Sold a bunch of copies on all platforms.

Aaaaaaaand Stockwell Day (Canadian Politician) never changed his first name to "Doris" despite over a million signatures.

Online Petitions don't do anything but generate buzz in the publisher's favor and keep people talking about a game while they finish the dull Beta to Gold cycle, which is just before the launch marketing push. See again L4D2 boycott.

I do sympathize with the hardcore PC guys out there who will sorely miss dedicated servers.

But I have to ask, how different is this from the way Valve set up servers for Left 4 Dead? Or is this something more like a Halo or Battlefield situation? The majority of people who are going to buy MW2 are console gamers who don't give a shit about dedicated anything. It could be a tech issue? Who knows? My point here isn't to defend Activision it's to say that let's quit the Q Q and make with the pew pew.

At least until the game comes out. Then the gloves are off.

By the way COD:Mordern Warfare 2 review by ......ME! coming soon to LANOC Reviews :)

~Tim
My mom says I'm cool.

More
21 Oct 2009 04:01 #495 by Scootpogo
I do believe that the majority will be console gamers. But after MW1 there PC client base has increased quite a bit.

More
21 Oct 2009 04:01 #496 by Lersar

Tim wrote: By the way COD:Mordern Warfare 2 review by ......ME! coming soon to LANOC Reviews :)

Looking forward to this!

More
21 Oct 2009 04:10 #500 by Tim
@Lersar Not sure what version they're sending me yet? I asked for either the PS3 or PC version.

~Tim
My mom says I'm cool.

More
21 Oct 2009 04:11 #501 by garfi3ld
they can send me the xbox version, I can check it out along side of your other review

Wes

More
21 Oct 2009 11:07 #514 by Nacelle

Tim wrote: The L4D2 Boycott was hypocritical rubbish.

Maybe so. But Valve did fly a couple of those guys out to look at L4D2. So, they do pay attention to petitions.

Tim wrote: But I have to ask, how different is this from the way Valve set up servers for Left 4 Dead?

You can make dedicated servers for Left 4 Dead. There's just no lobby. I've done it here.

More
21 Oct 2009 12:53 #516 by Dreyvas
And by "Be fine with IWNet," I meant that everyone will just play on dedicated servers instead, if they give that option.

More
21 Oct 2009 15:42 #536 by jpwinkis
Everyone should just cancel their preorder. They pay attention to that. MW2 was on amazon under top 100 as 7, and got bumpbed up to 82 or something. A LOT of people are cancelling thier preorders. I will not buy the game and I hope some of you will chose not to buy this game.

More
21 Oct 2009 19:50 #559 by Shibumi

Tim wrote: Online petitions are stupid and they don't work.

The L4D2 Boycott was hypocritical rubbish.

Devil May Cry 4? Sold a bunch of copies on all platforms.

Aaaaaaaand Stockwell Day (Canadian Politician) never changed his first name to "Doris" despite over a million signatures.

Online Petitions don't do anything but generate buzz in the publisher's favor and keep people talking about a game while they finish the dull Beta to Gold cycle, which is just before the launch marketing push. See again L4D2 boycott.

I do sympathize with the hardcore PC guys out there who will sorely miss dedicated servers.

But I have to ask, how different is this from the way Valve set up servers for Left 4 Dead? Or is this something more like a Halo or Battlefield situation? The majority of people who are going to buy MW2 are console gamers who don't give a shit about dedicated anything. It could be a tech issue? Who knows? My point here isn't to defend Activision it's to say that let's quit the Q Q and make with the pew pew.

At least until the game comes out. Then the gloves are off.

By the way COD:Mordern Warfare 2 review by ......ME! coming soon to LANOC Reviews :)

That's exactly my problem. I personally hate the way L4D does mathcmaking. The system is annoying, impersonal, and for the most part, broken. The only reason it exists is because its difficult to use a server browser for a 4-8 person game. When you jump to CoD you're going to have WAY more players than that and I'm going to be extremely pissed off without a server browser.

Oh and the part they talk about parties, and a friends system and all that. I DON"T NEED ANYMORE BUDDY LISTS!!! Between Steam, Xfire, Xbox Live, MSN Messenger, and every other freaking friend list I have... I really dont' want one JUST FOR COD. Just use Steam and get over it. Freaking companies need to get over their butt-hurt feelings about Valve coming up with an amazing idea with Steam and just use it. I'm tired of every single new distrobution system being put out by companies every week.

More
22 Oct 2009 00:56 #564 by Scootpogo
I enjoyed that little rant. But srsly way to many friends list.

More
22 Oct 2009 01:01 #565 by Dreyvas

Shibumi wrote: WALL O' TEXT

Couldn't have said it better; I agree completely.

More
23 Oct 2009 01:16 #630 by Nacelle

More
23 Oct 2009 03:04 #638 by Dreyvas
It's available for preorder on Steam now. I'm pretty torn on this, I was totally set for months on buying it on Steam as soon as I could.

More
23 Oct 2009 10:53 #648 by Nacelle
Don't do it. Send those dillholes a message. Besides, how we going to play it at lan parties if there's no dedicated server?

More
24 Oct 2009 05:30 #665 by Tim
Hey all you Activision haters! store.steampowered.com/news/2986/

See! They do care about the PC just not in the way you think they should. By adding Steamworks they can follow you around and get all those juicy metrics. Metrics like what kind of hardware you run, what games you play, for how long and with whom.

On the upside? Achievements! That is all.

*edit
Hrrm I just checked the Steam Store and thought this was interesting. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 is the most expensive game available on Steam not counting the Dragon Age delux pack or other packages. That's right MW2 is going to cost $59.99 for PC.

Ummm excuse me? but since when is ANY PC game more that $49.99

~Tim
My mom says I'm cool.

More
24 Oct 2009 14:42 #666 by Scootpogo

More
24 Oct 2009 17:13 #669 by Tim
I guess..... but if you pay $59.99 this year. Next year they're gonna charge $69.99.

Welcome to console land PC people

~Tim
My mom says I'm cool.

More
24 Oct 2009 18:01 #670 by Dreyvas
Yeah, right. Modern Warfare 2 sales on PC are going to be an absolute disgrace. Fuck that game, and fuck Bobby Kotick. I'll buy it when they add dedicated server support, so looks like I just saved $60.

More
30 Oct 2009 17:36 #937 by MurDerFace
wow....after reading all of this and the links that were posted i dont know what to think. im not paying that much for a pc game if people are already pissy about the way its done..i may just wait and see what happens after it goes live just like im doing with Aion right now. Thanks for the info though everyone.

Werd up home slice

We have 2743 guests and no members online

supportus