Does anyone not check their email every day?

More
16 May 2013 05:36 #30756 by garfi3ld
I'm just curious how many people don't check their email often.

All of mine go to my phones and tablet but I also normally keep my emails open. But there are a couple email accounts that I use less that I rarely check. But I'm curious if anyone doesn't check their main email atleast daily

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2013 05:48 #30757 by renegade
Lol I check them like all day long client set to check every 5 min.

More
16 May 2013 06:38 #30758 by Leonresevil2
I check my main maybe weekly. Others... less so. I need a fancy phone.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
16 May 2013 06:42 #30759 by Lersar
I check mine throughout the day on my phone, but I think it actually does more harm than good. I'll read a message quickly on the go and tell myself I'll reply to it when I'm at a computer. That doesn't always happen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
16 May 2013 06:46 #30762 by garfi3ld

Leonresevil2 wrote: I check my main maybe weekly. Others... less so. I need a fancy phone.

are you still on dialup?

Even when I don't have a know I normally have my gmail open. But then again, I communicate with everyone via email ALL the time lol.

Wes

More
16 May 2013 06:47 #30763 by Leonresevil2
I think a lot of it has to do with smartphones and lifestyle. I could check more often but I don't have anything pressing from emails.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
16 May 2013 06:47 #30764 by garfi3ld

Lersar wrote: I check mine throughout the day on my phone, but I think it actually does more harm than good. I'll read a message quickly on the go and tell myself I'll reply to it when I'm at a computer. That doesn't always happen.

have you considered using stars in gmail?

I archive everything that I am done with and keep anything I need to follow up on in my inbox. This keeps it in my face

Wes

More
16 May 2013 06:52 #30765 by draymac
This....this very much so!!!

Lersar wrote: I check mine throughout the day on my phone, but I think it actually does more harm than good. I'll read a message quickly on the go and tell myself I'll reply to it when I'm at a computer. That doesn't always happen.

I have the email open at work, on phone checking continuously, etc. I use gmail as my primary and have it checking 4 or 5 other accounts as well. If I didn't have an IT/tech job, then I am sure email would not be checked as often. Texting and social media are definitely making people forget their dusty email accounts but it's all how you use it. <---And that is most definitely what she said :P

More
16 May 2013 06:53 #30766 by Lersar

garfi3ld wrote:

I archive everything that I am done with and keep anything I need to follow up on in my inbox. This keeps it in my face

You know me. Anything that I can go OCD with I need to stay away from. :)

It's more that I don't think to even log on when at a PC then I don't remember which ones I need to respond to. Subconsciously I think I know I've technically 'checked' it from my phone so its not in the routine.

More
16 May 2013 06:56 #30768 by garfi3ld

Leonresevil2 wrote: I think a lot of it has to do with smartphones and lifestyle. I could check more often but I don't have anything pressing from emails.

Sounds like its more to do with just not having a reason to check it as often. I got my first smartphone in order to be able to follow up on emails on breaks and lunchbreaks to eliminate the backlog of emails I used to have at the end of the day every day.

Atleast in my case, the smartphone was in response to all of the emails. Not the other way around.

Wes

More
16 May 2013 06:57 #30769 by garfi3ld

Lersar wrote:

garfi3ld wrote:

It's more that I don't think to even log on when at a PC then I don't remember which ones I need to respond to. Subconsciously I think I know I've technically 'checked' it from my phone so its not in the routine.

hmmm you could remark them as unread. My gmail app has that as a button as well

Wes

More
16 May 2013 06:58 #30770 by Lersar

garfi3ld wrote:

Lersar wrote:

garfi3ld wrote:

hmmm you could remark them as unread. My gmail app has that as a button as well

That's not a bad idea. I've been working on trying to get filters and such to reduce the amount of junk mail.

More
16 May 2013 07:38 #30774 by Leonresevil2

garfi3ld wrote:

Leonresevil2 wrote: I think a lot of it has to do with smartphones and lifestyle. I could check more often but I don't have anything pressing from emails.

Sounds like its more to do with just not having a reason to check it as often. I got my first smartphone in order to be able to follow up on emails on breaks and lunchbreaks to eliminate the backlog of emails I used to have at the end of the day every day.

Atleast in my case, the smartphone was in response to all of the emails. Not the other way around.

I could see that, but I figure when I get one I'll setup and check emails more regularly. If it becomes convenient enough I'd do it more regularly.

I also realized that everyone says they 'check' email at intervals, it sounds like you're actually going to the email client or program, when I'd think especially on phones it would be more around push notifications. Does that distinction make sense? Do you flip to Gmail every so often, or do you just keep it up and go to it when it says it has a new email?

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
16 May 2013 09:13 #30776 by garfi3ld
my phone I just get push notifications

But at any point and time I have my other emails open on my PC.

When I look up and see a number on them I know that I have an email and I take a look and clear it out.

Wes
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2

More
16 May 2013 09:45 #30777 by Arxon
With this new business I am a part of I keep mine open all the time also watching for webpage stuff and production emails.

More
17 May 2013 00:04 #30800 by Brandonxcore
I don't check my email, my email checks me, or at least notify's me when there is new mail via my Nexus 4, then I check what it is.

More
17 May 2013 07:49 #30833 by renegade
I have 4 email accounts that are all brought in through outlook on my main PC at home. I keep outlook open 24/7 when I hear the sound for mail I am up an checking it.

The 4 accounts are main personal, secondary personal, NeXus LAN email, and my business email account.

When at work I remote desktop into my system at home so I have access to my email all day from work.

I seldom if ever check my email from my phone and when I do, its usually via remote desktop from phone to my home PC.

More
17 May 2013 08:02 #30835 by Koolaid84
i check email when i get home and a few other times during the night for my main, the lanoc email i may check once a day and same with the PR email and i have some other emails i check once a month lol

Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead. --Anon

More
17 May 2013 08:10 #30837 by Leonresevil2

renegade wrote: I have 4 email accounts that are all brought in through outlook on my main PC at home. I keep outlook open 24/7 when I hear the sound for mail I am up an checking it.

The 4 accounts are main personal, secondary personal, NeXus LAN email, and my business email account.

When at work I remote desktop into my system at home so I have access to my email all day from work.

I seldom if ever check my email from my phone and when I do, its usually via remote desktop from phone to my home PC.

If I may ask, why the remote desktop decisions? That has me interested, does it have any advantages over having the app/webpage directly accessible from your work or phone?

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
17 May 2013 16:44 #30841 by Lersar

Koolaid84 wrote: i check email when i get home and a few other times during the night for my main, the lanoc email i may check once a day and same with the PR email and i have some other emails i check once a month lol

Its fun listening to Alex rage over chainmail in the office :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2

We have 1532 guests and one member online

supportus