v9.0 Tournament Rules: League of Legends

More
16 Aug 2011 14:59 - 16 Aug 2011 19:32 #18306 by Nacelle
If we're not going to have any limits on level, maybe you should consider removing bans. A couple hours isn't time to get good at more than one champion. That's assuming it's even time to get good at one. What if it gets banned by the other team? They're going to be totally clueless if that's all they practiced with. Since a noob's choice of champions is small to begin with, they are hosed. Think of the noobs! think of the noobs!

On a side note, how about when this is over we do a unofficial tournament. That way there's no one telling us the rules. We pick the teams, that kind of thing. I'd be down with the "fight the man" thing and say everyone who isn't a noob not play in the official one, but I know that won't happen. Just a thought.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2011 19:32 by Nacelle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2011 18:04 #18309 by jj_Sky5000
do any of you play online? I see noobs all the time. Its a fun tournament not competitive lets go random teams and play.

Fact 1 Every body is going to get a noob or maybe 4 !!!! get over it I played online last night and one 4 vs 5 and won I led in minion kills i am a noob !!!!

More
16 Aug 2011 19:30 - 16 Aug 2011 20:19 #18311 by Nacelle

Its a fun tournament not competitive

That's why i suggest we have another one after the "fun" one. That way the serious people can play the way they want. If there's not enough of us for a tournament we'll smack down some randoms online.

The number of minions killed is not a good way of determining who was better. Some champions are better minion farmers than others. Some are not even supposed to take minion gold away from their lane-mate, so your anecdote isn't necessarily applicable. Online you're matched with similarly leveled people. If you are a noob, then you were matched with noobs, and it just so happens you were the top noob in that match.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2011 20:19 by Nacelle.

More
16 Aug 2011 22:07 - 16 Aug 2011 22:08 #18315 by Shroud

jj_Sky5000 wrote: Its a fun tournament not competitive

Wrong! Tournaments are by nature competitive... that is why we keep track of wins and losses. More fun for noobs= less fun for non-noobs.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2011 22:08 by Shroud.

More
16 Aug 2011 22:57 #18316 by Arxon

Shroud wrote:

jj_Sky5000 wrote: Its a fun tournament not competitive

Wrong! Tournaments are by nature competitive... that is why we keep track of wins and losses. More fun for noobs= less fun for non-noobs.

Wrong again. I am a non-noob at this game and I consider it a fun tourney.

More
16 Aug 2011 23:09 #18317 by Shroud
Those were two seperate statements. And your right, getting slaughtered because you have a noob(s)/moron(s) on your team is so freakin fun! I don't care anymore, you guys just do what you want, I'm not gonna waste my time with this "tournament". Peace.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nacelle

More
16 Aug 2011 23:39 - 16 Aug 2011 23:41 #18319 by jj_Sky5000
Why cant the tournament be fun for all. not have to 2. I am a noob and i want to play in the tournment. I am competitive by nature if i win i win if i dont idont no big deal its a lan its supposed to fun. The mouse toss is a competion and fun for all big or small it didnt matter , because its fun
Last edit: 16 Aug 2011 23:41 by jj_Sky5000.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wingless92

More
16 Aug 2011 23:46 #18320 by jj_Sky5000

Nacelle wrote:

Its a fun tournament not competitive

That's why i suggest we have another one after the "fun" one. That way the serious people can play the way they want. If there's not enough of us for a tournament we'll smack down some randoms online.

The number of minions killed is not a good way of determining who was better. Some champions are better minion farmers than others. Some are not even supposed to take minion gold away from their lane-mate, so your anecdote isn't necessarily applicable. Online you're matched with similarly leveled people. If you are a noob, then you were matched with noobs, and it just so happens you were the top noob in that match.

So your saying a noob cant beat a season or higher ranked player? We all know the lesson learned from that.

More
17 Aug 2011 00:00 #18321 by garfi3ld
Why is everyone fighting?

Wes

More
17 Aug 2011 00:38 - 17 Aug 2011 00:39 #18323 by Wingless92

jj_Sky5000 wrote: Why cant the tournament be fun for all. not have to 2. I am a noob and i want to play in the tournment. I am competitive by nature if i win i win if i dont idont no big deal its a lan its supposed to fun. The mouse toss is a competion and fun for all big or small it didnt matter , because its fun

This is the best post in this thread. Peace.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2011 00:39 by Wingless92.

More
17 Aug 2011 00:47 #18324 by Leonresevil2

garfi3ld wrote: Why is everyone fighting?

Practicing for teamfights, 5v5 all mid! lol But seriously things are sounding very confrontational. I think the rules look good now. I have no clue how many people will be in the tournament, and how many 'noobs' there will be, but i'm hoping things will be good. I'd definitely be interested in an unofficial matchup for the more pro players in the lan.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
17 Aug 2011 00:57 #18325 by Wingless92
[quote="Wingless92" post=18157Just remember though, it is a game, not your life. If you loose the tournament you can still go home and wake up the next day.[/quote]

This needs to be repeated ^^^^^^^^^^^^

More
17 Aug 2011 01:25 - 17 Aug 2011 01:26 #18326 by Lersar
Alright guys, a few things need cleared up I think.

First, we really do appreciate your feedback. Whether you like something, hate something, or have another idea, we always want to hear it. That being said, just because you disagree with somethings DOES NOT mean you should try to discourage other people from participating. That's just unnecessary.

Second, we as staff put A LOT of conversation into the idea of a minimum level requirement. The unanimous agreement, regardless of opinion, is that it's too late to instigate that kind of rule. Out of the 70-some registered participants for the LAN, only a fraction visit the website on a basis regular enough to catch that sort of addition, and even less are part of the Facebook event. We have organized a method in that spirit however, you're just going to have to put a little faith our way. If you end up bombing, what did you lose over not participating anyway? You don't have a chance if you're being stubborn just because you don't like the rules.

Lastly, I for one am looking for a little bit of a debate in these sort of threads. Not fighting; there's no reason we can't be civil about this. But everyone has an opinion and again, we want to hear it. But please realize that your are opening yourself up to scrutiny when you do. These events are made for you guys; how often do you see us staff members gaming during the event?

My main point here is please don't stop giving us your ideas. Good, bad, simple, ridiculous... whatever it is, let us know. But please don't try to sabotage it if things don't go your way, and be respectful of one another.

That being out of the way, please continue as you were. When is everything is said and done, we really are pleased to see such interest in the titles.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2011 01:26 by Lersar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2, Wingless92

More
17 Aug 2011 01:45 #18327 by Arxon
Not fighting here just putting my point across as stated. As Wingless said "It is just a game." Wingless later you wanna have a C4 killing contest?

More
17 Aug 2011 01:49 - 17 Aug 2011 01:50 #18328 by Leonresevil2
Nicely put. I do think that, as staff, you should reserve the right to say to all that "If you didn't keep involved on the forums enough to check the rules in advance, it's your own fault if you can't participate in the tournament." Really, if a bunch of beginners want quickly leveled, if they get at the lan at 10AM we could probably have them leveled to 5 before the tournament. This game is such that if you don't pay a bit of attention to rules and updates, you'll have a hard time. Fact is, there will be a new champ released 4 days prior to the lan, and most people won't know a think about him. (In this way, I realize now that allowing players to pick ANY champ may lead to beginners picking this new guy, and possibly not doing well) But that is the risk you take when you don't get online and read. Granted, the tournament is intended to be fun, but 1) I doubt the DotA guys at the Invitational just waltzed up without reading the rules, game updates, or practicing any beforehand and 2) someone inexperienced in the game can really bring the game down for the rest of the team, and even the enemy team if they want a real challenge.

I can accept the rules as are, and I'm glad to see more clarification on the fact that there will not be limits on anything. I'm just going to cross my fingers for a good team, try to lead as best as possible, possibly distribute my champ guide to noobs, and hope for GGs.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2011 01:50 by Leonresevil2.

More
17 Aug 2011 02:13 - 17 Aug 2011 02:17 #18329 by Nacelle

Lersar wrote: That being said, just because you disagree with somethings DOES NOT mean you should try to discourage other people from participating. That's just unnecessary.

I know you're talking to me here, so I'll respond. Your tournament, your rules, we don't have to like them. Saying that we shouldn't be allowed to discuss not participating in it and doing our own instead sounds like a dictatorship to me

Lersar wrote: Lastly, I for one am looking for a little bit of a debate in these sort of threads. Not fighting; there's no reason we can't be civil about this.

Once again, I didn't realize we were fighting. No one is doing any name calling or flaming, Just simple discussions. I called JJ a noob only because he referred to himself as one in a previous post.

Lersar wrote: But everyone has an opinion and again, we want to hear it. But please realize that your are opening yourself up to scrutiny when you do.

Scrutiny? I'm not sure I get your meaning here, but once again I assume it's pointed at me because I'm the most vocal here. I'm Sorry that I am, but I come here in between games and off times. Maybe I should spend more time playing games instead.

Lersar wrote: My main point here is please don't stop giving us your ideas. Good, bad, simple, ridiculous... whatever it is, let us know. But please don't try to sabotage it if things don't go your way, and be respectful of one another.

Sabotage? Who's doing that?
Last edit: 17 Aug 2011 02:17 by Nacelle.

More
17 Aug 2011 03:06 #18330 by jj_Sky5000
8 Pages really lol, I just want to beat so pro's or noobs or amatuers last i look we didnt have any lol players being sponsored to play the game for money. just a bunch of gamers wanting to lan and have fun, so lets sign up and play,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lersar

More
17 Aug 2011 03:08 - 17 Aug 2011 03:20 #18332 by Lersar
By scrutiny I mean that people are probably going to discuss and critique your idea, so don't be surprised if you get a little feedback of your own. (You being plural, as in everyone here, I want to make that clear).

Its enough to say I think there were a few words that were spoken out of emotion, not only here but with other tournaments too. (Again, not from any one person).

I'm not pointing at anyone in particular. I just want to clear up some of the confusion that can exist. Nacelle you are one of the many that have been very helpful when planning these sort of things, my previous post is meant more to encourage you guys to continue to tell us what you think than anything. I don't want anyone to hesitate posting because they are afraid of starting something, which is why I wanted to make it clear that we are looking for constructive criticism.

I think you kinda jumped in front of the bullet here Nacelle. Not a single part of that post was directed at you. You're absolutely welcome to tell the world you're not going to participate; but calling it a 'waste of time' is just harsh and discourages everyone else. (Again, which is not something you, Nacelle, said). We put a lot of time into planning this and all the tournaments.

If you read my post and got the impression I was in anyway, shape or form trying to tell you that you couldn't express your opinion or trying to be a 'dictator', I think you really need to read it again. That is the polar opposite of the point.

And 8 pages is extremely exciting, let's add some more that are a bit more relevant to the tournament.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2011 03:20 by Lersar.

More
17 Aug 2011 04:43 #18336 by Twodavez
Hmm, i think i've beat the horse way dead! If those are the rules, that's cool. Nothing wrong with wanting a fair fight. But i still like circling around to this is a very specific style game play and feeding and enemy can ruin the whole match.

I know the staff has ruled on the tourney and that's fine, i'd just like to know what everyone thinks the rules should be. Everyone throws out theoreticals and what-ifs, go ahead and post your own sets of rules, if i like them, maybe i'll ask you to play a match, you bring your best 4, i'll bring mine!

Rules i'd like to see:
-Format: 5v5 Modifed Draft Mode (Single Elimination)
-Teams: random base upon player level
-Capacity: 40 players/8 teams max
-Level: Min level 7 to participate
-Map: Summoner's Rift - Summer
-Team A will create games, bans and picks will happen before the game is created.
- BANS - B,A,A,B, (5 minutes to complete)
- PICKS - A,B,B,A,A,B,B,A,A,B (5 minutes to complete)
- Runes page and Mastery Skills will be allowed unlimited(Completely applied is confusing language, does that mean we can use them or not.
-Victory: Opponents' Nexus destroyed or surrender.
-Games will be open view (No limiting people walking around to watch, it is after all just a game)

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2

More
17 Aug 2011 05:21 - 17 Aug 2011 05:21 #18337 by Arxon

Twodavez wrote: Hmm, i think i've beat the horse way dead! If those are the rules, that's cool. Nothing wrong with wanting a fair fight. But i still like circling around to this is a very specific style game play and feeding and enemy can ruin the whole match.

I know the staff has ruled on the tourney and that's fine, i'd just like to know what everyone thinks the rules should be. Everyone throws out theoreticals and what-ifs, go ahead and post your own sets of rules, if i like them, maybe i'll ask you to play a match, you bring your best 4, i'll bring mine!

Rules i'd like to see:
-Format: 5v5 Modifed Draft Mode (Single Elimination)
-Teams: random base upon player level
-Capacity: 40 players/8 teams max
-Level: Min level 7 to participate
-Map: Summoner's Rift - Summer
-Team A will create games, bans and picks will happen before the game is created.
- BANS - B,A,A,B, (5 minutes to complete)
- PICKS - A,B,B,A,A,B,B,A,A,B (5 minutes to complete)
- Runes page and Mastery Skills will be allowed unlimited(Completely applied is confusing language, does that mean we can use them or not.
-Victory: Opponents' Nexus destroyed or surrender.
-Games will be open view (No limiting people walking around to watch, it is after all just a game)

only one i see as a problem to me is the level. A way around that is to just have everyone use a level 1 account. Just my 2 cents
Last edit: 17 Aug 2011 05:21 by Arxon.

More
17 Aug 2011 05:33 - 17 Aug 2011 05:37 #18338 by Nacelle
I take it you don't play the game much, because the only reason a person wouldn't be for a minimum level (other than staff wanting to "make it fair") is because they're not at that level yet. It's real easy to fix that you know... play the game. I've moved up several levels over the last couple weeks because I play the game a couple times a night. I saw there was a tournament and started practicing. It's not a novel idea. I hear the athletes do it too.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2011 05:37 by Nacelle.

More
17 Aug 2011 05:55 #18340 by garfi3ld
Chris you may not feel like you are arguing but it does feel like it when you read your posts.

Why is it that noone has commented back when I asked for feedback on giving hours of practice time between when the teams are set and the start of the tournament.

And as Adam said, we need everyone to put a little trust that we will be doing our best to even out the teams to prevent any one team from having more "newbs" than any other team. We don't want to post up how that will be done to prevent any gaming of the system, but I can say that there is no way that any of that staff will have any control over how it will turn out. That way there isn't a chance of any of the teams being stacked.

The staff isn't trying to "make it fair". But we do have to consider all of the 77 attendees, not just the 5 to 10 people who have posted in this post.

Wes

More
17 Aug 2011 06:17 - 17 Aug 2011 06:19 #18343 by Nacelle
We're not trying to get the rules changed at this point and I think every post I make is being interpreted as that. We're discussing "what if's" and the validity of them.

Why is it that noone has commented back when I asked for feedback on giving hours of practice time between when the teams are set and the start of the tournament.

Maybe because everyone agreed that it was a good compromise that didn't require a response.

The staff isn't trying to "make it fair"

Come one now. In the next sentance you say "we do have to consider all of the 77 attendees". That's what "make it fair" means. Otherwise the rules would be different. Once again I'm not trying to change them, they're fine. But don't try to say that's not what's happening.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2011 06:19 by Nacelle.

More
17 Aug 2011 06:23 #18345 by garfi3ld

Nacelle wrote:

Come one now. In the next sentance is "we do have to consider all of the 77 attendees". That's what "make it fair" means. Otherwise the rules would be different. Once again I'm not trying to change them, they're fine. But don't try to say that's not what's happening.

The only thing that we have done to try to make it fair was trying to prevent any one team from having to many "newbs". Something that you guys were vocal about. If we were trying to make it fair to the greater portion of the attendees we would be trying to curb the extremely good players. I would be willing to bet that out of the 77 people at the LAN competitive LoL players are in the minority compared to new players and average players.

Wes

More
17 Aug 2011 06:25 #18346 by garfi3ld

Nacelle wrote: Maybe because everyone agreed that it was a good compromise that didn't require a response.

Without any response I honestly wasn't sure if everyone thought that.

Wes

More
17 Aug 2011 06:28 #18349 by Nacelle

The only thing that we have done to try to make it fair...

I assume you want the 2nd one to be the one you meant.

More
17 Aug 2011 06:37 - 17 Aug 2011 06:44 #18353 by Nacelle

garfi3ld wrote: Chris you may not feel like you are arguing but it does feel like it when you read your posts.

You don't realize how often I've waited to hit submit or edited my post to change the wording to sound less argumentative. What you see is more than %50 off the original. Take the post above. The first thing I put down was a bit different.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2011 06:44 by Nacelle.

More
17 Aug 2011 06:48 #18355 by Leonresevil2

garfi3ld wrote: Why is it that noone has commented back when I asked for feedback on giving hours of practice time between when the teams are set and the start of the tournament.

I commented on this, suggesting an area of practice time and moving forward the sign-up cutoff as needed. I thought I saw mention of a 5 hour practice window, which I felt was a bit large (I do hope we do other things at this lan than just play LoL, despite how much I enjoy the game), so I mentioned 2-3 hours.

I think some here are concerned that there are a bunch of players interested in the tournament, but not interested enough to post, read the rules on the forums, and be active in any way to indicate interest, and some fear they will get into the tournament and have to teach their whole team or suffer due to inexperienced playing. I can agree to this, but I hope things go well. If I had a more personal team, I would be in favor of picking manually, but I've mostly been 'solo' or running with people online. I haven't seen or heard of a LanOC LoL group, and I really don't know how many people will be in the tournament. I suspect we will have some that say "hey, it's free, why not get in it and faceroll!", naively thinking they will be great at it without experience. The game is like Starcraft on steriods; your behind can and will be handed to you, to the detriment to your team. That's what IMO the veterans are fearing, losing not because of their lack of skill but because of someone else's. And there's not much way to know how many beginners will jump in, until the day of. I can't wait to see how things go, and I do hope that there is a way to strike good balance.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nacelle

More
17 Aug 2011 07:41 - 17 Aug 2011 07:43 #18360 by Arxon

Nacelle wrote:

garfi3ld wrote: Chris you may not feel like you are arguing but it does feel like it when you read your posts.

You don't realize how often I've waited to hit submit or edited my post to change the wording to sound less argumentative. What you see is more than %50 off the original. Take the post above. The first thing I put down was a bit different.

Sorry I sound that way. I will reword from now on. Like I want to say more but won't.(Not to you Nacelle, just in general.)

Lets just let things be now no more arguing and when the lan comes you can shoot them in the head in TF2 and/or what other fps you like.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2011 07:43 by Arxon.

More
17 Aug 2011 07:51 #18361 by garfi3ld

Leonresevil2 wrote:

garfi3ld wrote: Why is it that noone has commented back when I asked for feedback on giving hours of practice time between when the teams are set and the start of the tournament.

I commented on this, suggesting an area of practice time and moving forward the sign-up cutoff as needed. I thought I saw mention of a 5 hour practice window, which I felt was a bit large (I do hope we do other things at this lan than just play LoL, despite how much I enjoy the game), so I mentioned 2-3 hours.

I think some here are concerned that there are a bunch of players interested in the tournament, but not interested enough to post, read the rules on the forums, and be active in any way to indicate interest, and some fear they will get into the tournament and have to teach their whole team or suffer due to inexperienced playing. I can agree to this, but I hope things go well. If I had a more personal team, I would be in favor of picking manually, but I've mostly been 'solo' or running with people online. I haven't seen or heard of a LanOC LoL group, and I really don't know how many people will be in the tournament. I suspect we will have some that say "hey, it's free, why not get in it and faceroll!", naively thinking they will be great at it without experience. The game is like Starcraft on steriods; your behind can and will be handed to you, to the detriment to your team. That's what IMO the veterans are fearing, losing not because of their lack of skill but because of someone else's. And there's not much way to know how many beginners will jump in, until the day of. I can't wait to see how things go, and I do hope that there is a way to strike good balance.

I did see your response to my post, but it was one of the only responses. Considering how active the post is I was hoping for more feedback at the time.

As for your concerns about new and inexperienced players. The point I have been trying to point out is that all of the staff plays DOTA, LoL, or HoN and we are ALL aware of this concern. I don't think we need every post re-pointing this out.

"I think some here are concerned that there are a bunch of players interested in the tournament, but not interested enough to post, read the rules on the forums, and be active in any way to indicate interest, and some fear they will get into the tournament and have to teach their whole team or suffer due to inexperienced playing."

You also have to remember that people who are unhappy with something are almost always more vocal about something than people who are content. A LOT of the people who are attending the event do visit and read but don't post.

Wes

We have 1724 guests and one member online

supportus