Sunday Breakfast

More
11 Aug 2011 05:33 #18025 by Twodavez
Sunday Breakfast was created by Twodavez
So, there was some talk of doing a Pancakes and Sausage Breakfast sunday morning. I'd be willing to bring supplies and cook. I'm a morning person, so getting up at 7/8 am to have it ready by 9 wouldn't be hard at all.
Who would be interested in such a morning event? I'd charge something reasonable, maybe $5 per person for all you can eat pancakes, then just limited sausage (Bacon if i had a helper to cook it)...
I'm not looking to make money on the deal, so lets say if i turn a profit, after buying supplies, i'll split it with LAN OC to put it towards the servers and upkeep of putting on such an awesome LAN!

I haven't run this by the Staff yet, so they may just Veto the whole thing, but i thought i'd throw it out there and see what the response would be.

Thanks all

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain
The following user(s) said Thank You: Leonresevil2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2011 05:39 #18026 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: Sunday Breakfast
I have no problem with it but there would be two issues we would have to look at.

Power, we would need to make sure that Cory hasn't used the circuit. My second concern would be the heat. If the weekend of the lan is REALLY hot there i always a chance that the AC would struggle, if that was the case I would hate to add a bunch of heat for it to contend with. Of course our August LAN is "Normally" cool outside.

Wes

More
11 Aug 2011 05:50 #18027 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Re: Sunday Breakfast
Wes, is that Blueberry Hill Pancake House still open? That might be another option.

More
11 Aug 2011 05:54 - 11 Aug 2011 05:54 #18028 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: Sunday Breakfast
I don't think power or heat would be a problem at 9am. Only the people who spend the night in the building would be able eat since the doors open at 10am.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2011 05:54 by Nacelle.

More
11 Aug 2011 06:01 #18029 by garfi3ld
if the AC is struggling pumping a bunch of heat into the building first thing in the morning right before we start gaming it "could" be an issue. I'm not saying no, I was just mentioning my only concerns that I wanted to follow up on before anything else.

As for power, I'm fairly sure it isn't a problem I just want to make sure our electrician is in the loop

Wes

More
11 Aug 2011 06:05 #18031 by Leonresevil2
Replied by Leonresevil2 on topic Re: Sunday Breakfast
I say, we can turn off the computers, if there's friggin pancakes! God this sounds delicious.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
11 Aug 2011 06:08 #18032 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re: Sunday Breakfast

Leonresevil2 wrote: I say, we can turn off the computers, if there's friggin pancakes! God this sounds delicious.

I had this thought too, maybe this time could be a trial run, and next LAN we'd say. This block of people won't be able to use their computers from 7 am - 9 am on sunday morning, i doubt people would mind that much considering many people are still sleeping.

And I'd suggest opening the doors at 9 to allow people to eat also that didn't stay the night. Just don't start any LANtivities until the normal 10 am start up...

I just wanted to get the idea out there and see what everyone thought.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
11 Aug 2011 06:10 #18033 by garfi3ld
the doors are already open at 9, you just cant take equipment out :)

And for the heat it wouldn't be an issue that turning off the PC's for a few hours would fix

Wes

More
11 Aug 2011 06:28 #18034 by Leonresevil2

garfi3ld wrote: the doors are already open at 9, you just cant take equipment out :)

And for the heat it wouldn't be an issue that turning off the PC's for a few hours would fix

Go green, get pancakes as reward. Sounds awesome!

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
11 Aug 2011 10:38 #18037 by Arxon
Replied by Arxon on topic Re: Sunday Breakfast
I wouldn't mind cooking the bacon if ya need a hand.

More
11 Aug 2011 17:29 #18044 by Wingcmdr77
Replied by Wingcmdr77 on topic Re: Sunday Breakfast
most excellent idea. :)

More
12 Aug 2011 00:50 #18056 by Mike02929
Replied by Mike02929 on topic Re: Sunday Breakfast
Or if power and heat are a concern, cook it on an outside grill. Heck, if breakfast doesn't work, maybe grill out some hotdogs on Saturday to keep people from having to run out for lunch, then run back out again for dinner. Five bucks could get you maybe 3 hotdogs, a large bag of chips, and a drink.

More
12 Aug 2011 01:11 #18057 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: Sunday Breakfast

Mike02929 wrote: Or if power and heat are a concern, cook it on an outside grill. Heck, if breakfast doesn't work, maybe grill out some hotdogs on Saturday to keep people from having to run out for lunch, then run back out again for dinner. Five bucks could get you maybe 3 hotdogs, a large bag of chips, and a drink.

I like this idea in general, would just have to figure out the specifics of pricing.

More
12 Aug 2011 01:53 #18060 by Wingless92
No offence but I like eating out when I come to the LAN. Then again I don't live in Van Wert so it's sort of a mini vacation for me.

Not a bad idea though to cook out though.

More
12 Aug 2011 02:30 #18064 by Myndmelt
Replied by Myndmelt on topic Re: Sunday Breakfast
Sounds deRiousious to me. Id probably be willing to fork out 5-6 bucks for all you can eat pancakes. For power, just say anyone that wants pancakes has to shut down their machine to eat haha.

and remember bacon > sausage .

More
12 Aug 2011 04:28 #18071 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re: Sunday Breakfast

Myndmelt wrote: Sounds deRiousious to me. Id probably be willing to fork out 5-6 bucks for all you can eat pancakes. For power, just say anyone that wants pancakes has to shut down their machine to eat haha.

and remember bacon > sausage .

Understandable, but bacon is also more time consuming and expensive than sausage... Sausage i can buy already cooked and just microwave it. Bacon you have to cook in batches that take forever and create lots of grease and eventually smoke if not watched..

More
12 Aug 2011 04:35 #18072 by Dreyvas
Why can't we just have both T_T

More
12 Aug 2011 04:50 - 12 Aug 2011 04:51 #18074 by Koolaid84
Replied by Koolaid84 on topic Re: Sunday Breakfast
I love how no one is reading what Wes has to say, HEAT is going to be a huge issue here. What if its 90 degrees with humidity for the weekend? it will be hot at 9 am for sure. Im not turning down the idea, i like the idea but we almost have to remember people arent going to happy turning their computers off so others can eat pancakes? we almost have to do it outside away from the building with a grill. The AC is already against us, with 77 or more computers plus think if we are putting heat out its going to be super hot all day

*Also i had an idea but i dont know if anyone would want to, take orders like on the website night before and whoever volunteers to do this cooking, can just make them before getting there like say if someone in Van Wert volunteers they can make whatever orders and then bring them and sell them to the per say buyer* it was just a suggestion

The idea is wonderful though the execution is trickier then expected :( im not bashing anyone but i want people to understand our concerns as staff

Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead. --Anon
Last edit: 12 Aug 2011 04:51 by Koolaid84.

More
12 Aug 2011 04:53 #18075 by Dreyvas

Koolaid84 wrote: I love how no one is reading what Wes has to say, HEAT is going to be a huge issue here. What if its 90 degrees with humidity out the weekend? it will be hot at 9 am for sure. Im not turning down the idea, i like the idea but we almost have to remember people arent going to happy turning their computers off so others can eat pancakes? we almost have to do it outside away from the building with a grill.

Erm, wasn't that already suggested? You're definitely right in that it could end up being just too hot to grill, but the weather could go either way. I would suggest that we file this under the category of "wait and see." :)

More
12 Aug 2011 04:58 #18076 by garfi3ld
yeah it could go ether way record high is 98 and low is 54. The average high is 89

Wes

More
12 Aug 2011 04:59 #18077 by Koolaid84
Replied by Koolaid84 on topic Re: Sunday Breakfast
i agree :) we could, let's say, if it does go on, who would want to volunteer? and buy the stuff? and yadda yaddd?

Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead. --Anon

More
12 Aug 2011 05:01 - 12 Aug 2011 05:04 #18078 by Nacelle
I'm not for or against the whole thing. I usually have a bowl of oat meal. I'm just pointing out the that at 9am only a handfull of computers are on. It won't be a mater of turning anyone's off to get power. And even if it's 90 degrees in the day, the mornings are in the 70s. I'm pretty sure the A/C can handle a griddle and a few computers on. It can cool the building with 70+ computers that are essentially small space heaters.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2011 05:04 by Nacelle.

More
12 Aug 2011 05:10 #18079 by garfi3ld
the power is not an issue. I went over it with Cory and we are good. But you still are not getting what we are explaining with the heat. The building's A/C struggles when we have the building full and the temp slowly goes up throughout the day. The only thing that prevents the building from getting too hot is the cool temps overnight that cool it all back down. My concern is that the added heat in the morning could offset the cooldown we get overnight just before we get everything going again.

I am actually FOR doing this, I am just looking at the whole picture to make sure we don't create a different issue. Why does this have to be an argument? Please post up if you love of hate the idea of doing this or if you have a suggestion on how we can do it better.

Wes

More
12 Aug 2011 05:34 #18080 by Wingcmdr77
Replied by Wingcmdr77 on topic Re: Sunday Breakfast
If it dont rain, take some extension cords outside and make breakfast, no worries about heat or smoke?! ;)

More
12 Aug 2011 06:06 #18082 by Wingless92
That's not a bad idea!

More
12 Aug 2011 08:10 - 12 Aug 2011 08:11 #18086 by Leonresevil2
Could do this in the late night, or earlier possibly. I've got a house with an oven and stuff that it could be done at, and ingredients most likely, but I'll have to get it approved beforehand. I personally don't like bacon, prefer microwavable sausage. Could also say "Your computer isn't off before 6AM, the IP address gets blocked until you catch Wes" lol. Great initiative to have them off early. Maybe some playful dodgeball during cooking time, if done on location? No bodies, no PCs, not so much heat troubles.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2011 08:11 by Leonresevil2.

More
12 Aug 2011 14:19 #18091 by garfi3ld

Wingcmdr77 wrote: If it dont rain, take some extension cords outside and make breakfast, no worries about heat or smoke?! ;)

would we be using an electric griddle?

Wes

More
12 Aug 2011 15:21 - 12 Aug 2011 15:39 #18094 by Nacelle

garfi3ld wrote: Why does this have to be an argument?

I didn't think it was. If it is, it's because some are not understanding the fundamentals. Here's an easier way to think about it...
You have a bucket of water (the building) that you want to keep at 32°. I picked that temp because it can't go any lower without freezing. This is our "thermostat". You have an icecube maker (the A/C) above the bucket that can produce 10 icecubes a minute and will automatically add the number of cubes needed to keep the water at 32°. Under that bucket you place 3 candles. Each candle can put out enough heat that it requires one ice cube to keep the water at 32°. Plus you need an extra cube to combat the rise from ambient temperature at that time of day. This means 4 cubes are added to the water per minute. What's the tempature of the water with 3 candles? 32°, right? Now I add 2 more candles (our cooking equipment). This time 6 cubes are placed in the water. Water's still 32°. So the ambient tempature starts to rise and now we need two instead of one to cool the water. We still have the icecube production capacity left to cool 3 more candles. But wait, we stopped using those last two candles after an hour. What's the temperature of the water after that hour? Still...32°. It's not until we add more heat than 10 cubes can cool that the water starts to rise in temperature. I don't think the a griddle or two is going to put out more heat than the A/C can cool at that time of day with only a few computer one. Get my point?
Last edit: 12 Aug 2011 15:39 by Nacelle.

More
12 Aug 2011 16:33 #18095 by Mike02929
Replied by Mike02929 on topic Re: Sunday Breakfast

Leonresevil2 wrote: I personally don't like bacon, prefer microwavable sausage.

Don't like bacon (is.....is that even possible)???? Please sir, present your man card so that one corner may be cut off for this remark.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kelf, L0rdG1gabyt3

More
12 Aug 2011 19:26 #18099 by garfi3ld
I get your point Nacelle, my point was this post is about who is interested in doing this.. thats is all!

and yeah I thought everyone liked bacon lol

Wes

We have 1931 guests and one member online

supportus