IMPORTANT LAN INFORMATION!!

More
26 Aug 2011 06:10 - 26 Aug 2011 06:26 #18971 by garfi3ld
This morning I woke up to an very interesting voicemail. I had been waiting for a call letting us know that the building is free so we could go ahead and start taking things over and to start laying out power. The voice mail mentioned that we were good to go but to make sure we were cleaned up before Sunday morning.. Wait WHAT? As it turns out when we booked the building a year and a half ago they had us down for a one day event with a reoccurring event scheduled the day after. This was news to us. As you can imagine my day has not gone well. The reason I am making this post is to let everyone know where we are at on the event because we will obviously have to make a few changes because of this news. As of right now we don't have any official word but I will be sure to let everyone who is attending know through email as soon as we know ourselves.

After setting up a war room here at the office and taking a tour of the area looking for ANY possible location we had a list and we had Cory and Adam on the phone with me taking down the information. We have lined up a POSSIBLE location but the cost is considerably more than what we were paying for our current building (lets put it this way, the cost is more than what we brought in total). To add to that short of our building costs all of our funds have been spent on new power cables, name tags, the projector, ect. The potential building is hinging on one question with the power and we are talking to them about possible deals we can make.

The reason I want to point this out to everyone is obviously if this deal goes through we are going to have to move the event to a new location around six miles from our current one. More importantly if the deal does not go through we are stuck in our current building with us having to have the building cleaned out and ready for the next person by 6am. If this happens the staff and I have been going over options on how we can still make everything work. We are willing to open up the event tomorrow on Friday and pack all of our raffles in on Saturday for those of you who wouldn't be able to make it out.

I'm really sorry to have to let everyone know this. But I found out at 12:45 this afternoon and the craziness after trying to find a location has kept us busy. We strive to put on the best event we can possibly do and we hope that even with this devastating problem we can still do that for everyone. Please keep an eye on this thread and your email for updates. We appreciate everyone's understanding and support in this very stressful and costly issue.

Wes
Last edit: 26 Aug 2011 06:26 by Wingless92.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc_disease

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Aug 2011 06:15 #18972 by garfi3ld
Let me be clear. The lan is going to happen no mater what! I just want to make sure everyone knows what is going on, why, and what are are trying to do to correct the issue.

Wes

More
26 Aug 2011 06:15 #18973 by Wingless92
Just remember everyone, go easy on the staff, as you can see we are in Vent talking things over as you read this.

Keep it civil everyone.

More
26 Aug 2011 06:35 - 26 Aug 2011 06:36 #18980 by jj_Sky5000
I have been to many lans over the years 1 day 2 day and even 3 day events. as long as i am gaming with my friends and win a case in the raffle i am ok with any decision that is made. Keep up they great work you do.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2011 06:36 by jj_Sky5000.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas, Kelf

More
26 Aug 2011 06:44 #18982 by Dreyvas

jj_Sky5000 wrote: I have been to many lans over the years 1 day 2 day and even 3 day events. as long as i am gaming with my friends and win a case in the raffle i am ok with any decision that is made. Keep up they great work you do.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

More
26 Aug 2011 06:49 #18983 by Leonresevil2
I'm actually quite pleased that this issue has never happened before. As with JJ, I'm happy to just have some gaming time with friends. I'm up for adjusting the schedule or whatever is needed. I would say, if the new location would be very costly to pull off so quickly, it wouldn't hurt to move the event down to 1 day or Fri-Sat or whatever, and possibly offer a next-event discount to those who purchased tickets for this event. Personally I'd rather see the event cut short than you guys take a financial hit just because of a calendar issue.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
26 Aug 2011 06:51 #18984 by L0rdG1gabyt3

Leonresevil2 wrote: Personally I'd rather see the event cut short than you guys take a financial hit just because of a calendar issue.

+1

More
26 Aug 2011 07:01 #18985 by garfi3ld

L0rdG1gabyt3 wrote:

Leonresevil2 wrote: Personally I'd rather see the event cut short than you guys take a financial hit just because of a calendar issue.

+1

All of the staff are willing to chip in. We are looking at options to help raise some of the money at the event itself also. If anyone has any suggestions please post them up.

Wes

More
26 Aug 2011 07:11 #18987 by Wingcmdr77
I'm okay with it being a 1 day event. No sense on causing headaches for yourselves! :)

More
26 Aug 2011 07:11 #18988 by Twodavez
I don't even remember what i ended up paying for the initial event, but i'd be willing to kick in another $10 or so for a two day event...

Obviously Pancakes would be put on hold, but after buying all the supplies, i think i was going to have a $30-$40 to put towards the LAN Fund.

Keep up the good work as i know you're all doing and just keep us all in the loop.

The optomist in me is saying, maybe this is a sign that the LAN does need to move to a different location, one with more space so we're not turing people away... Things happen for a reason sometimes and maybe this is one of them.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
26 Aug 2011 07:15 #18989 by garfi3ld
yeah this forced us to look at the buildings a little sooner than we had planned. The building change was the reason we hadn't set a date for our next event.

Wes

More
26 Aug 2011 08:06 #18991 by Wooderson
I prefer a 2 day event, but what ever you guys decide is fine with me. I appreciate you guys putting on the event to start with. You always do a great job. Looking forward to seeing everyone its been a year, good lord that's a long time.

I kill CPU's

More
26 Aug 2011 08:20 #18993 by jpwinkis
Well that sucks. I'm curious what event is Sunday morning if it would be an option to help that event find a another place and help them set up. I mean if it was something like old people bingo or something. Just a thought.

More
26 Aug 2011 08:21 #18994 by garfi3ld
that was the first thing that I tried to do but could not do it

Wes

More
26 Aug 2011 08:49 #18996 by natsu
If this is down to one day now, it's really not worth the trip for those from Dayton. :(

More
26 Aug 2011 09:03 #18998 by Fildy

natsu wrote: If this is down to one day now, it's really not worth the trip for those from Dayton. :(

Its worth the walk from Dayton still imo.

I'm a bear, put your head in my mouth.

I cry at night
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lersar, Leonresevil2, Kelf, jpwinkis

More
26 Aug 2011 09:13 #19000 by jpwinkis
Yea, we are still going. Just going up Friday I think.

More
26 Aug 2011 09:14 #19001 by Wingless92

Fildy wrote:

natsu wrote: If this is down to one day now, it's really not worth the trip for those from Dayton. :(

Its worth the walk from Dayton still imo.

Best reply in this thread!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpwinkis

More
26 Aug 2011 09:21 #19003 by Sedriss
Have you guys decided on what is happening? Some people I know from LAN Ohio will not be able to come down Friday/ Friday night. Some may not come down now because of this change of events unless it was spanned over 2 days.

More
26 Aug 2011 09:26 #19004 by garfi3ld
We will not know until tomorrow morning on how this should effect us. I really hope you all can make it down. Remember if we are forced to cut the event down or if we have to open early we will not be doing raffles during any time other than the planned time. Just to make sure everyone has a fair chance at those.

Wes

More
26 Aug 2011 09:27 #19005 by Lersar
We unfortunately won't know until 10AM tomorrow... well, this morning I s'pose now. We have a great building lined up that would allow for the two day event, but the woman we met with today was unsure about the power set-up, and our on hand electrician is meeting with a member that knows the layout well. As soon as we get any information this will be the first place we go of course. Trust me, none of us staff members are sleeping very well tonight. :S

Thanks again for everyone's patience and support.

More
26 Aug 2011 09:28 - 26 Aug 2011 09:29 #19007 by Sedriss
Ty for your hard work Garfield and all other LAN OC staff.
Last edit: 26 Aug 2011 09:29 by Sedriss.

More
26 Aug 2011 15:01 #19022 by Big Ed
Would the new location accommodate dodgeball? I really look forward to that!! :)

More
26 Aug 2011 15:25 #19023 by Myndmelt
If dodgeball was the biggest lost, no worries there for me!

Thanks for putting in the time and effort guys and not just throwing in the towel or postponing right away.

More
26 Aug 2011 16:27 #19027 by Ender
I'm glad to see our staff is hard at work! Thanks for posting all the information and letting us know what's happening. I'm from Fort Wayne and I still plan on making it out, even if it is for one day. In my opinion, it is NOT worth the cost to get a different place to host the party since it sounds like it costs a fortune. I'd use the money to make the event for next year even better =D I'll make sure to spread the news to anyone that is going that might not know about this yet. Again though, thanks for working so diligently on this. :woohoo: When it comes to the pancakes thing, would it be possible to move it to Saturday then? Finally, I read something about it starting today (Friday). Keep us posted if that is still an option. :)

P.S. - DODGEBALL IS MY LIFE! But not NEEDED. ;)

More
26 Aug 2011 16:49 #19029 by CrazyBillyBob

garfi3ld wrote:

L0rdG1gabyt3 wrote:

+1

All of the staff are willing to chip in. We are looking at options to help raise some of the money at the event itself also. If anyone has any suggestions please post them up.

If you let us know what kind of "hit" Some of us would be willing to Increase our Ticket price to help out (like Give you $5-$10 @ the door...or what it takes to help cover the costs)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas, draymac, Davey_Boy

More
26 Aug 2011 17:07 #19030 by Wooderson
I'm up for chipping in some more cash as well.

I kill CPU's

More
26 Aug 2011 17:09 #19031 by Davey_Boy

CrazyBillyBob wrote:

garfi3ld wrote:

L0rdG1gabyt3 wrote:

+1

If you let us know what kind of "hit" Some of us would be willing to Increase our Ticket price to help out (like Give you $5-$10 @ the door...or what it takes to help cover the costs)

I'd chip in too :)

More
26 Aug 2011 17:12 #19032 by Slash_Fury
AND MY AXE!
The following user(s) said Thank You: draymac, Davey_Boy

More
26 Aug 2011 17:19 #19034 by jpwinkis
I MAY HAVE SOLVED THE PROBLEM FOR BEING ABLE TO STAY A BIT LATTER ON SUNDAY. Someones gotta take one for the team though. I'm thinking a hostage standoff would buy us time if it happened around 6am when they want us out. The only issues is I don't know the SOP for when negations being when they cut the power off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kelf, Davey_Boy

We have 2018 guests and no members online

supportus