RTS and FPS Tournaments Announced!

More
07 Feb 2012 23:16 - 10 Feb 2012 09:10 #22624 by garfi3ld
Old School as always will not be announced until the tournament is starting at the LAN.

Walk-up Tournament will be announced soon.

FPS: Counter Strike: Source 5v5
Rules and Discussion Post

RTS: Starcraft 2 2v2
Rules and Discussion Post

Wes
Last edit: 10 Feb 2012 09:10 by Plague.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DrDeath

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2012 23:41 #22625 by Wingless92
Noice!!!

More
08 Feb 2012 00:02 #22626 by jj_Sky5000
bring your team or random ? for both tournies?

More
08 Feb 2012 00:05 #22627 by DrDeath
Wow, SC2, great choice!

More
08 Feb 2012 00:25 #22628 by Dreyvas

jj_Sky5000 wrote: bring your team or random ? for both tournies?

More
08 Feb 2012 01:26 #22630 by Wingless92
Probably should be random.

More
08 Feb 2012 01:37 #22632 by KenCoTwelve
Bring a team, and if you don't have a team, make a pug at the event.

More
08 Feb 2012 02:06 #22634 by garfi3ld

Dreyvas wrote:

Josh are you coming?

Until we post the tournament rules its not official but right now we are leaning toward trying bring your team for this event. Its not how we normally do our tournaments but it is something that a lot of people want at every event. Being V10.0 we are considering it.

Like I said though, not official until we publish the rules for each game.

Wes

More
08 Feb 2012 02:45 #22636 by Dreyvas

garfi3ld wrote:

Dreyvas wrote:

Josh are you coming?

Yessir. Registered and prepaid. :)

I'll be carpooling from Cleveland with my good buddy Brett (Foible.)

More
08 Feb 2012 02:47 #22637 by garfi3ld
glad to hear it, was worried that we wouldn't see you this time around.

Wes

More
08 Feb 2012 10:09 #22655 by KenCoTwelve
Yeah, some group of friends and I are planning on playing. I'll probably buy 5 spots last minute if it gets too close. Just waiting for the rules.

More
08 Feb 2012 10:31 #22658 by garfi3ld
I understand, remember that the tournaments are only a small part of the LAN. In my opinion (and Im sure most of the people who come will agree), the event is worth coming out with or without the tournaments.

Wes

More
08 Feb 2012 19:16 #22659 by renegade
For events like this random teams are alot better IMO. With bring you own you end up alot of the time with a winning team that can just to play one specific game all weekend, they do not play in pick up games etc. This is the main reason that NeXus went random teams when we started out. DLF would get teams coming for just 1 tournament they would play only that game all weekend and soon as it was over and awards done they were out the door.

So my vote and I know I speak for all the NeXus crew coming is random teams.

More
08 Feb 2012 22:02 #22661 by Lersar

renegade wrote: For events like this random teams are alot better IMO. With bring you own you end up alot of the time with a winning team that can just to play one specific game all weekend, they do not play in pick up games etc. This is the main reason that NeXus went random teams when we started out. DLF would get teams coming for just 1 tournament they would play only that game all weekend and soon as it was over and awards done they were out the door.

So my vote and I know I speak for all the NeXus crew coming is random teams.

Thanks for the input, and please feel free to continue to let us know what you all think.

Were leaning towards the bring a team format because of the overwhelming feedback we get for every single tournament that we've done in the past. Complaining about random teams is the number one thing I hear after the tournament is done.

I can't stress how important it is for you guys to post your opinions. Let us know what is on your mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: garfi3ld

More
08 Feb 2012 23:02 #22668 by DrDeath
I'm all for having teams. I suppose those who don't have a team (like myself) can scrape one together with others that don't have a one.

On that note, if anyone wants to be on a team, let me know (I only moderately suck at both SC2 and CS:S)!

More
09 Feb 2012 00:33 - 09 Feb 2012 00:43 #22677 by KenCoTwelve

garfi3ld wrote: I understand, remember that the tournaments are only a small part of the LAN. In my opinion (and Im sure most of the people who come will agree), the event is worth coming out with or without the tournaments.

:) Trust me, along with the LONG list of LANs we've attended (mostly in Michigan) since 2002, I also have hosted some of the biggest LANs in the area in upwards of 450 people, but to make the drive three hours, we'd like to be enticed a little bit. Hell, I don't go to QuakeCON expecting to win the Quake Live tournaments, but I go to have fun, meet new people, be competitive, and get rocked (which will probably happen at the LAN in the CSS tournament)

A lot of us play different games. Most of the time in the FPS category just because that's what we prefer. TF2, CSS, BF3, MW3, Quake Live, UT2k4, etc. We'll probably be rocking some Dungeon Defenders that weekend as well!
Last edit: 09 Feb 2012 00:43 by KenCoTwelve.

More
09 Feb 2012 03:11 #22679 by Arxon
I have been to both types of Lans and i prefer random teams. Mostly because the teams teams that come for that one game from past experiences are jerks.

More
09 Feb 2012 03:45 #22680 by KenCoTwelve

Arxon wrote: I have been to both types of Lans and i prefer random teams. Mostly because the teams teams that come for that one game from past experiences are jerks.

I agree part way, but I think to label every person like this is just not nice. For me I prefer just to play with friends. I mean, we game with them online, let's put our skills to the test offline.

More
09 Feb 2012 03:48 #22682 by Davey_Boy

KenCoTwelve wrote:

Arxon wrote: I have been to both types of Lans and i prefer random teams. Mostly because the teams teams that come for that one game from past experiences are jerks.

I agree part way, but I think to label every person like this is just not nice. For me I prefer just to play with friends. I mean, we game with them online, let's put our skills to the test offline.

I'm with Ken on this! I play with them online and then I go to a LAN and wanna test our skills in a LAN setting. But I understand why ppl do random teams too. With this event being so big now I feel we can afford to do your own teams. When we were smaller I could see random teams.

More
09 Feb 2012 03:55 #22684 by KenCoTwelve

starkiller wrote:
I'm with Ken on this! I play with them online and then I go to a LAN and wanna test our skills in a LAN setting. But I understand why ppl do random teams too. With this event being so big now I feel we can afford to do your own teams. When we were smaller I could see random teams.

This actually makes perfect sense. This will be my first LanOC so I don't know about the history, but I can recall many other tournaments where random teams do work (or just choosing solo style games like Trackmania, Need for Speed, Deathmatch games like COD/UT/Quake, etc). Just my opinion though, I'm open to hearing others thoughts/theories.

More
09 Feb 2012 04:01 #22685 by Wingless92
Its either way for me. Teams could be fun but could bring complaints. Randoms could be fun but will bring complaints.

Either way we will have complaints.

Therefore, keep giving input on what you want to see. It's a good thing to have a level headed discussion.

More
09 Feb 2012 04:01 #22686 by garfi3ld

KenCoTwelve wrote:

to say that the few bad people have made a bad name for it as a whole would be an understatement. That is exactly why we did all randoms in the past. We are just open to the idea of trying to out because we are growing. Please keep the feedback coming

Wes

More
09 Feb 2012 04:04 #22688 by Arxon
I should have said the CS:S community not premade teams.

More
09 Feb 2012 04:07 #22689 by Wingless92
There are jerks everywhere you go, lol.

More
09 Feb 2012 04:09 #22691 by Arxon
Big Ed and a few others know what i mean from Lan Ohio

More
09 Feb 2012 04:22 #22692 by KenCoTwelve

Arxon wrote: I should have said the CS:S community not premade teams.

Try the Halo and COD Console Community. They are 1000x worse. Trust me, I've held tournaments for them.

More
09 Feb 2012 04:45 #22694 by Lersar
Keep 'em coming guys, I want a 1:1 ratio between views and responses. :laugh:

More
09 Feb 2012 05:00 #22696 by jj_Sky5000
Having team tournaments seem to bring more people in, instead of getting one or 2 to come you get 5. but the downside side is they usally play that game the whole lan and leave when the touney is over. But Lanoc does have teh edge becasue you dont win prizes u win extra raffle tickets. So you will probley have to wait till the end to makes sure you didnt miss out.

More
09 Feb 2012 05:04 #22697 by Arxon

KenCoTwelve wrote:

Arxon wrote: I should have said the CS:S community not premade teams.

Try the Halo and COD Console Community. They are 1000x worse. Trust me, I've held tournaments for them.

Yeah, I don't do console for that reason. Either way it goes I will be playing.

More
09 Feb 2012 07:04 #22704 by Wingless92
The staff could be one of the teams! Watch out, staff coming at ya. Of course we wouldn't win but it would be fun to game with everyone.

We have 1824 guests and no members online

supportus