Have Time Warner Cable? Want an extra raffleticket

More
14 Feb 2012 06:48 #22860 by garfi3ld
I'm looking for two luck Time Warner cable customers who would like to earn an extra raffle ticket at the LAN. How do you go about doing this? Well the first two people with the fastest connections available will win. You have to be able to bring your modem to the event and you have to be on the WOH or western ohio time warner service.

If you want to sign up I need to know for sure that you will be at the lan for the entire event and I need to know the package you have. If someone has a faster connection they will trump someone with a slower connection. That means if you post up first but only have standard cable, someone who signs up later with a 50 down connection will trump you.

This will help out the entire event by helping us have the best internet connection possible for everyone. The raffle ticket doesn't sound like much but as you will see, they are worth their money in gold. We will have an amazing collection of prizes in the raffle this year and with tickets being limited to 1 per person there is a good chance you will go home with something amazing!

Wes
The topic has been locked.
More
14 Feb 2012 09:09 #22865 by renegade
Wes,

I am WOH but was told the modems have to stay on the same city node as well. Eg Dayton, Kettering, Huber etc.

What do you know about that? Mine is 30/5
More
14 Feb 2012 09:13 #22866 by garfi3ld
Thats a possibility but I know that we have run them on different nodes from Van Wert to Ohio City. I was really hoping we could try out using them from other area's if anyone is interested in bringing one by to test out.

Wes
More
15 Feb 2012 04:34 #22889 by LinkyPwns
I use time warner cable. I have the 15MB download and 1MB upload with powerboost plan. I live in Columbus, OH so I don't know how/if just plugging the modem into the wall will work. I would be there for the entire LAN so that isn't a problem.

File Attachment:
More
16 Feb 2012 07:20 #22950 by Twodavez
How much would it cost to get Time Warner to come out and set us up with something sweet? I'd be willing to buy "another seat" to fund the cause if i got another raffle ticket. I mean that's kind of what you're doing, allowing people to buy a ticket by brining something they pay for to the LAN for the good of the group. I'm just saying, it might be a way to get more people to invest a little more money in the LAN to make it better. If there are going to be people with multiple tickets, the chances of them winning two items before someone wins anything are pretty good based upon previous LAN's.
I don't mind, just saying give everyone a fair chance to sweeten thier odds, even if they don't live in the area and have the same internet...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain
More
16 Feb 2012 07:25 #22952 by Arxon
Yeah cause I got the 30/5 but don't live in the area.
More
17 Feb 2012 21:08 #23001 by garfi3ld

Twodavez wrote: How much would it cost to get Time Warner to come out and set us up with something sweet? I'd be willing to buy "another seat" to fund the cause if i got another raffle ticket. I mean that's kind of what you're doing, allowing people to buy a ticket by brining something they pay for to the LAN for the good of the group. I'm just saying, it might be a way to get more people to invest a little more money in the LAN to make it better. If there are going to be people with multiple tickets, the chances of them winning two items before someone wins anything are pretty good based upon previous LAN's.
I don't mind, just saying give everyone a fair chance to sweeten thier odds, even if they don't live in the area and have the same internet...

Dave the cost of having them come out just for one extra connection is between 500 to 1000, something that is well beyond that we can afford to spend. Selling raffle tickets to cover even a portion of that cost is going to add a LOT more raffle tickets into the raffle than what we are doing here not to mention selling raffle tickets could be just as unfair to people who can't afford it.

"If there are going to be people with multiple tickets, the chances of them winning two items before someone wins anything are pretty good based upon previous LAN's."
The odds of two people out of 120 having BOTH of their tickets drawn before anyone are very slim. You have to remember in the past almost everyone had two tickets, the odds of someone getting drawn twice in a row when everyone has two are much higher.

Dave, you are looking at this too much like its hurting your chances at winning prices but you have to remember its only two tickets... Two tickets that will ensure that we have the best possible internet connection at the LAN. Not to mention have you SEEN how many prizes we already have? With just our first two sponsors and not the 17 OTHER sponsors we have almost 50 prizes, with 122 raffle tickets currently..

Arxon/Linky don't count it out yet until we can actually get someone here with one to try it out. Anyone willing to come visit and give it a try?

Wes
More
18 Feb 2012 00:54 #23005 by Twodavez
I don't really care about the prizes as making or breaking the LAN, you know i have fun no matter what i do or don't win. I just thought if we needed to have a little fund raiser, it would be something to think about, as i'd be willing to spend a little extra money to be able to win something worth way more than the raffle ticket cost. I just know there are always bad feeling about the raffles if/when someone does win two things because they won a tournment and get extra raffle tickets, and every lan it seems like we're trying to get away from giving them out. Why not just allow the person to attend the LAN for free, or when someone wins a tournement give them a fan or something else guaranteed. I know i had multiple tickets in a drawing from winning a tourney and not won anything.
That being said, i'd rather know i'm going to be guaranteed something for winning than a raffle ticket that just makes me look like a bad guy when/if i win twice over the course of the LAN and someone else doesn't win anything. This happened at Nexus where i had two tickets in and didn't win anything, but at Stompfest, we won Tug-o-war and we got Fans and PC magazine or something.
Just something to bring up to discuss, not that we have a say as attendees, just thought it would generate a little conversation so when someone does win twice, people aren't bitter that they didn't win anything, or give the person who won alot of things a hard time. (I've been on that end of the situation also).

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain
More
18 Feb 2012 01:16 #23006 by garfi3ld
I'm not sure why the raffle conversation has to come up again after we made changes to the raffle to correct the issue after the last lan.. But there are a couple things you need to keep in mind.

First, we haven't actually announced that the prizes will be for the LAN tournaments this year. We have had a few sponsors provide prizes specifically for atleast one tournament but we won't know what the prize situation will be for sure until we get closer.

Second, you talk about not being happy when you don't win something in the raffle but then go on to suggest that we give prizes to the winners of the tournaments rather than raffle tickets as we have done in the past. I don't think you are looking at the big picture in this case. If I gave out prizes to each tournament winner rather than the raffle tickets its actually going to take prizes away from our raffle. That means EVERYONE will have less of a chance at winning something in the raffle. By giving out raffle tickets to thw tournament winners we are giving them a chance to win something epic while still giving everyone a chance to win still also.

Anyhow, at the end of the day the raffle discussion is always a bad one. No matter how the raffle is handled there is no way everyone can leave happy and we know this. I work my butt off to make sure we have more prizes than other event of our size and I know for a fact that we offer a better prize per attendee ratio than any event I have ever gone to big or small. When the raffle argument comes up its very discouraging for me, why work so hard at getting prizes if people are going to be upset ether way?

Also we looked into giving the people who help with the internet free entry, the problem is after that there is nothing stopping them from leaving early or even not showing up leaving us short on the net.

Wes
More
18 Feb 2012 04:32 - 18 Feb 2012 04:33 #23028 by Lersar

Twodavez wrote: Just something to bring up to discuss, not that we have a say as attendees, just thought it would generate a little conversation so when someone does win twice, people aren't bitter that they didn't win anything, or give the person who won alot of things a hard time. (I've been on that end of the situation also).

You, as attendees, have all the say. We're not throwing the LAN for us; everything is put back into the LAN, were not in the raffle, and how often do you see us actually playing games? Well, maybe we do benefit a little, because we love hanging out with you guys, but you get my point. It's a little disheartening that you have that attitude.

You would not believe how much time and effort has been vested into raffle discussion, just among staff. Like Wes said, there is no way to please everyone; typically, those who are unhappy are the ones who don't win anything. I think we forget how fortunate we are that we can attend events that are so supported by sponsors that we complain about winning a case fan or a magazine subscription.

At the end of the day, you can either open the gates and flood the raffle, or you can limit how tickets are distributed and establish a value with them. A value that a team wants to compete for, or a value that a person may be willing to sacrifice their family's convenience for a weekend to help our LAN as a whole. After taking the 'say' of many attendees in to consideration, the decision was made.

Will everyone win a processor? Nope. That's not going to happen either way. But you'll have a good time, get a few kills, and more likely than any other LAN I've gone to, go home with something to remember us by.

That's all. Vote Lersar 2012. Thanks.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2012 04:33 by Lersar.
More
18 Feb 2012 21:25 #23043 by Twodavez
I'm ok with the raffle situation, It's just when there are big ticket items, i like to be able to have the same chances to win them too. I didn't realize it was going to be $500-$1000 to upgrade the internet, it just seems there are always different ways to get more tickets, in the past it was buying extra tickets, then it was winning raffles, not it's just bring a router and get one.
I'm not trying to show greed or unthankfulness towards you all who put this on. You know i'm a big supporter and gave a large donation from the work i did making pancakes at the event last time and i'm usually trying to help people carry in or out and also move things as needed.
I just like to understand why the rules are they way they are.
Thanks for all you do, i'll leave you to the LAN, i'm sure there is still much to get together.

More
18 Feb 2012 21:51 #23045 by Lersar
Ok.

If we could put this thread back on track then, I believe the offer is still on the table?
More
22 Feb 2012 06:26 #23137 by 8bitgeek

pay for the 7mb service pretty much always run at the "Turbo speeds"
More
22 Feb 2012 08:30 #23141 by Twodavez
LAN OC team,
What type of internet do you have at home? Why not take a little of the proceeds from the LAN and upgrade your internet at home with the intention of using it for the LAN as the primary internet?
I'm sure you all have high speed at home, why not ensure its with the same company and maybe have the LAN help pay for it. It would be more reliable than trying to find people in the area that have the right type for the LAN. We know we'll use it at least twice a year. I was looking into what it would take to get regular internet through Time Warner and they have a one year special for $44.95 a month for 768 Kbps up and up to 15 Mbps down. Which is still cheaper than the $500-1000 quoted for a one day event use, plus you'd have faster internet at home at a discounted rate.

I'm just trying to help out the LAN internet speeds, especially if it doesn't work out for people to bring their modems from outside the region. If you still did the raffle ticket deal then we'd have even faster connection, but it would make a better safety net for the lan and internet traffic.

Also would it be a good idea to require people to register their MAC address like what IU does? This way the traffic could be monitored as it's always the case that one person is downloading something or watching 5 youtubes at one time. and ever after multiple calls for them to stop it over the loud speaker, it continues, until the night when they go home and speeds resume.

More
22 Feb 2012 08:41 #23142 by garfi3ld
IU registers mac addresses because they are using their campus internet and network. They actually have to add your PC into the router for the router to be able to give you access to the internet. We actually have a way to track each user's bandwidth something that I kept a close eye on at the last LAN.

I actually have upgraded my internet all the way to the 50 down 5 up, we actually took it up to this speed before the last LAN specificlly for the event. We have always used Alex and I's internet. The problem really is there is only one other staff member that this could even effect other than Alex and I. Cory, Skyler, Chad, and Jared aren't local or don't have time warner available to them.

That 15Mbps down connection that you are talking about would actually require that we get four of those to get the speeds are are looking for (this is in addition to using my internet already)

Wes
More
22 Feb 2012 08:42 #23143 by Wingless92
Pretty sure Wes has the fastest internet that is available.

I would bring mine but it won't work and it U-Verse.
More
22 Feb 2012 09:23 #23144 by Slash_Fury
I should be able to bring mine. I'll confirm tomorrow, just in case. That should get us another 30/5 or possibly 50/5.
More
22 Feb 2012 09:40 #23145 by Wingless92
Having 100/10 would be awesome, even better would be to have 1000/100. That way, everyone could watch myfreecams and have no lag!

Hell, you could probably join and make a few tokens while at the LAN!
More
22 Feb 2012 11:04 #23148 by Wingcmdr77
So let me get this straight the retirement communities event hall that you rent wants 500-1000.00 just to upgrade the internet for 2 days of use? I must not be reading the whole post or is that it? Maybe the other location might be something to re think again after all?
More
22 Feb 2012 11:07 #23149 by garfi3ld
thats what TIME WARNER would charge us to come out and install an internet connection then come back out and uninstall it.. Like I said before its a commercial location and temporary connections are not cheap. Even then they won't install the same fast connection that you can get at a home. Even if it was much cheaper it wouldn't be worth it.

Wes
More
22 Feb 2012 19:45 - 22 Feb 2012 20:02 #23151 by jj_Sky5000
I am sure you have tried, I would keep buttering up and offering space and promotion material to Time Warner and get them to sponsor the event as it grows.
Last edit: 22 Feb 2012 20:02 by jj_Sky5000.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Twodavez
More
23 Feb 2012 06:46 #23193 by Twodavez

jj_Sky5000 wrote: I am sure you have tried, I would keep buttering up and offering space and promotion material to Time Warner and get them to sponsor the event as it grows.

Maybe if you told them we were all huge AOL fanboys and cried when it went away they'd take pitty on us and hook us up with a deal. Better yet, lets get someone who works there on Staff. Get them from the inside :-)

The following user(s) said Thank You: Arxon
More
24 Feb 2012 01:46 #23221 by Slash_Fury
Alrighty, I confirmed with Garfield earlier today that I will have a 50/5 connection I can bring with me. Dealing with residential support is a lot easier than commercial ;) They're going to pro-rate me a 50/5 connection for the weekend and I just have to go pick up and drop off the modem in Celina when I'm done. This means it'll cost me about $12 to to supply that for the weekend. Enjoy!
The following user(s) said Thank You: garfi3ld, Dreyvas, Wingless92

We have 2344 guests and no members online

supportus