LanOC V11.0 September 1st and 2nd 2012

More
03 May 2012 00:22 - 03 May 2012 01:06 #24916 by garfi3ld
It really feels like it was just yesterday that we all at LanOC v10 having an amazing time. But Before long we will be at LanOC V11. That means it's time to open up our early bird registration for those of you who would like to lock in your seat to make sure you don't miss out this is the time to get signed up and pre-paid. We sold out early last event and we expect the same to happen again this time. Spread the word and get signed up early, we want to see everyone there!

Where will the event be?
We are hosting v11 at the same building we used for v9.0 and V10.0 in Van Wert, Ohio at 220 Fox road. We are just down the street from all the food you can eat and hotels and motels are also nearby. Please look up at the top of the website under LanOC LANparties to find out more about the hotels and motels in the area along with food.

Registration and costs
We have a three price breakdown, although we hope you prepay early enough where you won't have to worry about the other two. The three price breakdown goes like this

Now to Tue 31. Jul 2012 11:59 am $15
Aug 1st until August 31st at 11:59pm $20
At Event price $25

By doing the Early Bird pre-pay from now until July 31stth you will also get yourself a pre-printed name badge. Everyone after will have to be written in the day of the event.

Please remember the only way to guarantee yourself a seat is to pre-pay, until you have paid for it you don't have a seat. Once we sell out, if you haven't pre-paid you are out of luck.

Raffle
This is always a touchy subject for everyone including us staff. We are going to follow the same raffle format that we have had in the past with one exception. Each person will only get one raffle ticket for registration, no matter when you register. You will still be eligible to earn other raffle tickets by winning tournaments, contests, and other events both at the LAN and before. Remember also, our raffle tickets are given per person, not per seat as we have done in the past.

Tournaments
Our tournaments are up for discussion on the forums, we are planning on doing an FPS, an RTS, our walk up tournament, and then our old school tournament. If you do not post up suggestions, please do not complain about the games picked. We pick from the games you guys suggest while keeping in mind what will work best for the LAN.

Games
We are open to playing ANY game you guys are up for. In order to get the game you are interested in posted up on our suggested game list we will need to see a few people posting up interest in it. Please post up the games you are hoping to play at v11. Just like with our tournaments, if you don't post up your suggestions, please don't complain about the games picked.

Do I need a second seat?
There are a few situations where you might need a second seat. Specifically if you feel your PC is going to take an excessive amount of power, if you can't fit into just one seating area without hanging out over into another person's area or off the table, and if you want to hook up a second PC. The excessive amount of power would normally only be an issue when you are running triple or quad video card's. People with multiple monitor setups are asked to purchase two seats for both space and power reasons. We can only guarantee a 3 foot space per person, the building we have does have a few 8 foot tables but they will be used where needed to keep the rows spaced correctly.

Registration is open now! Sign up early and we are looking forward to seeing you there!

Wes
Last edit: 03 May 2012 01:06 by garfi3ld.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas, Myndmelt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2012 00:27 #24917 by Myndmelt

More
03 May 2012 01:05 #24922 by Dreyvas
Fuck yeah. Registered, will prepay when I get paid.

More
05 May 2012 23:37 #24958 by Wooderson
Awesome see you guys there.

I kill CPU's

More
06 May 2012 08:21 #24959 by Nacelle

garfi3ld wrote: There are a few situations where you might need a second seat. Specifically if you feel your PC is going to take an excessive amount of power, if you can't fit into just one seating area without hanging out over into another person's area or off the table,

Since you're talking directly to me here, I'll reply to it. This rule is why I wasn't at the last LAN, and won't be coming to any more until this it's changed. When my son and I did attend, we took up no more table space than we were allotted. I made sure to sign up early enough so as to claim a spot where we wouldn't infringe on anyone else's space. Also, we never had a power issue. Yet both are now reasons to discriminate against me. If one of my screens stick out past the end of the table a couple feet, how is that detracting from anyone else's experience? It's open space anyways. It seems that we've moved away from being just a bunch of friends getting together to play some video games. Something like this would never come up there. I guess this is proof that LanOC has turned into a "corporate" LAN.

More
06 May 2012 09:26 #24960 by garfi3ld
Because you weren't at the last LAN you couldn't see some of the changes we had to do to the seating layout with adding 40 more seats. Part of that was pushing power slightly farther than what we have done in the past meaning we have to be able to be careful with setups that require excessive amounts of power. Not only do multiple monitor setups require more power, but you also need a more powerful machine to power the additional monitors.

The seating layout with the additional seating is also tighter and didn't allow for monitors to hang into the walking areas even slightly, let alone one to two feet. Here is the only picture I can find that shows what I am talking about. Notice you can see the seat and table on the right.

It's true that your setup brought this to light, because the triple monitor setups brought to the LANs in the past all purchased multiple seats. But it wasn't a stab at you, only adding a rule that should have been there the entire time. This is why I told you in person about the rule even before we added it, because I wanted you to understand why we needed to do it.

I think anyone that came to the LAN can vouch for how great of a time everyone had at v10.0 and in the end I think you would have gotten your moneys worth even if you had to get two seats. But these are things to consider when we are trying to provide power and space for nearly 120 people. And on a personal note I was disappointed that you felt this way and didn't come out because I do enjoy chatting it up with you at the LANs.

Wes
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas, TownFunk, Rhythmatic

More
06 May 2012 10:15 #24961 by renegade
I do not see the monitor policy as being directed at you Nacelle. This is the norm for all LAN's I go to, and is the same thing we put in place at NeXus.

Multiple monitors take up alot of room use alot more power etc. We setup the tables based on 1 monitor and 1 PC per seat. If we start allowing people to show up with 2/3 monitors etc then we run the risk of blowing circuits etc and thats not something LAN staff want to deal with if at all possible. As well as 2/3 monitors taking up too much room, crowding into the seat next them. Hanging a monitor over the end is a hazard to the people walking by, to the equipment, and to the owner of the monitors.

So in the end these kind of policies are put into place to make for a smoother lan, protect attendee's, and protect the owners equipment.

If I was to show up with 3 monitors to a LAN i would auto buy 2 seats with out even asking.

More
06 May 2012 10:55 #24962 by Dreyvas
It does seem like power limitations would cause major problems with single seat multiple monitor setups at the current location. My table lost power at least 3 or 4 times during the last event as it was, and I don't think any of us even had multiple monitors or GPUs.

That said, it did suck that you didn't make it out, Nacelle. Always enjoy fragging it up with you guys.

More
06 May 2012 20:26 #24967 by h4lt
Registered (Check)
Paid (Check)
Reserved Seat (Check)

Now I must wait patiently until that wonderful day in September!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: garfi3ld, Plague

More
06 May 2012 22:31 #24971 by Davey_Boy

Nacelle wrote:

garfi3ld wrote: There are a few situations where you might need a second seat. Specifically if you feel your PC is going to take an excessive amount of power, if you can't fit into just one seating area without hanging out over into another person's area or off the table,

Since you're talking directly to me here, I'll reply to it. This rule is why I wasn't at the last LAN, and won't be coming to any more until this it's changed. When my son and I did attend, we took up no more table space than we were allotted. I made sure to sign up early enough so as to claim a spot where we wouldn't infringe on anyone else's space. Also, we never had a power issue. Yet both are now reasons to discriminate against me. If one of my screens stick out past the end of the table a couple feet, how is that detracting from anyone else's experience? It's open space anyways. It seems that we've moved away from being just a bunch of friends getting together to play some video games. Something like this would never come up there. I guess this is proof that LanOC has turned into a "corporate" LAN.

The following user(s) said Thank You: TownFunk, Lersar, Shroud, h4lt

More
07 May 2012 04:41 #24975 by Twodavez
It might be a matter of time before the power supply is limited too. I mean, i know several people bring 1000Watt powersupplies, and based upon their rigs, i bet their using alot of it.
Too bad something couldn't be worked out that a few people with Laptops could be put on the same circut. Although, i'm really not sure how 3 monitors really even help in most games... Anyway i'll be signing up here soon, and i'm sure the staff is aware, but if you could watch the holiday weekends a little more going forward, i'd apprecaite it. I doubt we'll see a dip in attendence, but anyone with a lake house or who enjoys camping usually has big plans for this 3 day weekend.

P.S. where are we moving the LAN to sunday night since no-one has to work on monday :evil:

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
07 May 2012 04:43 #24976 by garfi3ld
We picked that weekend unaware of it being the holiday weekend, we were trying to do it the same weekend as the fair across the street. Something for people do if they would like, also fair food.

Wes

More
07 May 2012 05:34 #24977 by vialdragon
a fire @ my house after lan clean up can be arranged. It would have to be bring your own chair.

If you can't amaze them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

More
07 May 2012 21:17 #24985 by Twodavez

vialdragon wrote: a fire @ my house after lan clean up can be arranged. It would have to be bring your own chair.

I was half kidding, 36 hours of gaming is about my max, plus it might not be dark enough for a bon fire after the LAN clean-up.

It's something to think about though...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
07 May 2012 21:21 #24987 by garfi3ld
for those who are interested on the friday before the lan or the monday after the Van Wert fair runs from August 29th - September 3rd, 2012 and is right across the street from the LAN.

vanwertcountyfair.com/

Wes

More
07 May 2012 21:23 #24989 by Twodavez

garfi3ld wrote: for those who are interested on the friday before the lan or the monday after the Van Wert fair runs from August 29th - September 3rd, 2012 and is right across the street from the LAN.

vanwertcountyfair.com/

Will this cause any parking problems with them trying to use our parking lot? i know last year parking was a little tight, unless you wanted to park in the back which was kinda scary....

I'm looking forward to the LAN outting to the fair for fried cheese and candy bars! can you make sure to get us a food list for our LAN bags? :woohoo:

More
07 May 2012 21:29 #24991 by garfi3ld
I tripled checked with the venue and they said that they have never had people parking in their parking lots for the fair. The large empty fenced in area across from the building is actually the main fair parking. The last few years it hasn't been filling up.

The biggest issue we had with parking was actually people blocking the whole parking area next to our building off with their cars. I'm hoping to find a better solution for that, if nothing else we will be having people move their cars.

Wes

More
07 May 2012 23:40 #25002 by Myndmelt
Sorry, off topic, Does that fair usually cost to get into, or is it a walk in and pay for everything sort of deal. I've seen both.

I guess if they have not had anyone problems with people trying to park in their lot would mean they are probably offering free parking so people wouldn't be trying to get in on the cheap. Either way that sounds pretty fun!

More
08 May 2012 01:00 #25006 by Twodavez
We'll just need to keep Wingless away from the Sheep :dry:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Arxon

More
08 May 2012 01:13 #25007 by garfi3ld

Myndmelt wrote: Sorry, off topic, Does that fair usually cost to get into, or is it a walk in and pay for everything sort of deal. I've seen both.

I guess if they have not had anyone problems with people trying to park in their lot would mean they are probably offering free parking so people wouldn't be trying to get in on the cheap. Either way that sounds pretty fun!

from their website
$6 day or $18 for all week

Wes

More
08 May 2012 03:29 #25014 by chadkirchner

Twodavez wrote: We'll just need to keep Wingless away from the Sheep :dry:

:laugh: Agreed.

I love how this thread has become the Van Wert County Fair thread. Awesome!

More
08 May 2012 03:41 #25016 by chadkirchner
I guess I'm a little confused on this whole seat issue with multiple monitors, etc...

Three feet really is not a great deal of room to deal with. Being that v.10 was my first LAN, some people sure had some creative ways to have multiple gadgets hooked up to their rig and still not creep into someone else's space. The power issue really is a big issue though, and I can see why limitations are placed there.

If I were to go again (and wasn't on staff of course), I would probably purchase two seats. Do I have a huge gaming rig and multiple monitors? No, but I would want the "First Class" feeling of having the extra room.

I know if I invited all of you guys over to my house we'd have a serious power issue! lol

Is it discrimination or class warfare? Sure, I could make that argument. But I could also point out that I would be pretty annoyed if I were at a table and suddenly lost power because someone else brought something excessive (I'm looking at you Wingless :) ) to the LAN.

Wes really does care about making sure people have a good time. I don't really recall him playing any games except some Worms Reloaded with the staff on Sunday. The prizes were stupendous and literally everyone won something. How many LANs can you say that about?

I'm sure if the venue had the resources (IE all 8" tables), he would allot 4" per person, making it easier to bring a multiple-monitor setup. But that would also reduce the walkways by at least 6" which could make it more difficult to keep the isles clear (which is a fire code issue).

It was my first LAN, and I thought it was run very professionally and although there were a few hiccups I had a heck of a lot of fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: draymac

More
23 May 2012 23:41 #25281 by Myndmelt
I was thinking about the internet issue we had a v10.0, I never heard what was the cause or the resolution. Maybe that was intended or maybe I just wasn't near the right people. I just want to know if there is something the Lan-goes need to do beforehand to make sure that certain scenario doesn't happen again? I think I heard something about someone having a static IP that was sending the routers bonkers?? I am just wondering for the sake of the next lan if there is something we need to avoid or can help prevent downtime like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ender

More
23 May 2012 23:55 #25282 by Myndmelt

vialdragon wrote: a fire @ my house after lan clean up can be arranged. It would have to be bring your own chair.

'Nothing like setting vialdragon's house on fire after a good lan! :P

More
23 May 2012 23:55 #25283 by Ender

Myndmelt wrote: I was thinking about the internet issue we had a v10.0, I never heard what was the cause or the resolution. Maybe that was intended or maybe I just wasn't near the right people. I just want to know if there is something the Lan-goes need to do beforehand to make sure that certain scenario doesn't happen again? I think I heard something about someone having a static IP that was sending the routers bonkers?? I am just wondering for the sake of the next lan if there is something we need to avoid or can help prevent downtime like that.

I was wondering the same thing. I remember showing up at Lan OC V10 and the internet was down for several hours in the beginning b/c someone had created their own network or something? It would be nice to know if there should be a setting we should have set in place if we come to a lan event so that we don't run into these difficulties. Thanks!

More
24 May 2012 00:48 #25284 by garfi3ld
I'm sorry guys I thought I mentioned the official cause in one of my announcements. The router we were using was giving us issues. We are working with TP-Link to try to figure them out and make sure we don't have issues in the future. The ip conflicts were caused by this, and then we had an unrelated issue with our managed switch that I caused in all the craziness. Once we went to our backup router we did not have any issues. We actually would have gone to the backup router quicker had we not thought that it was a different issue.

Ether way V11 will have both a fixed router and our backup to make sure we keep the best connection possible up for you guys.

Wes

More
25 May 2012 22:37 #25323 by HaleyM2012
So I deffinatly think that we should do the Counter-Strike:Sourcetourny again, just like last time, and Deffinalty do a COD4 Also. I think enought people like both games that we could do both.

I would also love to see a Late night Tourney Put in place for the people who stay over night, just to make it a lil fun before bedtime.

Something like a unofficial starcraft or unofficial (insert random game).

I deffinatly want to get as much gaming into this LANoc Event AS possible.

And THIS time I will bring More Pillows and Blankets...

STEAM- Haleym2012 [:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lersar

More
29 Jun 2012 05:34 #25937 by garfi3ld
Wanted to give this a bump, we have almost 50 people signed up and we are just over two months away. Make sure to get signed up and pre-paid before that last minute rush a month before when the price goes up.

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
15 Jul 2012 12:49 #26159 by garfi3ld

More
16 Jul 2012 04:38 #26185 by Twodavez
Paid and picked my seat. is there something wrong with the left side of the room? Well i broke the ice over there. Gotta be closed to the pancakes! :-)

The following user(s) said Thank You: garfi3ld

We have 2188 guests and one member online

supportus