What way would work best for you at our LAN's

More
27 Jul 2012 01:34 #26556 by cytog64
One method that I found interesting at a few mega Lans (seems better for 500-1000 person events) was that they named seating sections after games so players with the same general interests could sit together. (all while passively meeting others with the same game style)

So instead of Alpha, Beta, Gama...use Battle Field, Call of Duty, League of Legends, Diablo, Counter Strike, World of Warcraft.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2012 00:17 #26644 by Leonresevil2
Late to the discussion, but yea. I feel in most methods the posts get lost in communication, or there's a lot coming at you. People also tend to communicate with their friends and less on the ALP or other methods. Steam may not be a bad idea if it's done in a non-disruptive manner of limited post frequency, but Facebook may be a decent method, depending on how many people use it (it seems like a fair amount, walking around the room and seeing blue bars on most screens).
I would say to keep a tab on a LanOC facebook page, and have a voting system in place on choices. Either someone posts up a poll on a specific game and interested players vote it up, or have a selection of games for the next hour or so to be played (like Gaming hours, but more real-time based on mood and interest). The main issue I see with the old gaming hours is that maybe you don't want to play that game right now, even if you like it. Something else may be on your mind to play, and establishing a schedule beforehand can be risky. It's like planning your meals for the week; sometimes you want some chicken right now, but it's not on the schedule.

Overall, people tend to have multiple gadgets and programs going, and convincing people to regularly check another one can be hard. I'd stick with something everyone already has or uses, Steam and a web browser being most. The ALP is a nice tool but it's hard to get everyone to check it regularly (it's most appealing for a schedule, not as a social network platform).
If you are wanting to do a massive game (32 or more players), I'd just announce that on the speakers.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

We have 1475 guests and no members online

supportus