Case Mod contest update

More
31 Jul 2010 19:35 - 31 Jul 2010 19:51 #7687 by garfi3ld
I know its the end of the month and we should be closing entry's and gearing up for voting. With feedback from some of our members and staff I have decided to extend the contest entry time period out. We would really like to see more entry's and we are hoping that more time will give some of you time to work on them.

I would also like to ask everyone to help spread the word around the web about our contest. If you are active on a forum or website that has a group of modders, please post up. We are obviously not a case modding website and because of that our reach into the community is limited. We would like to see as many enthusiasts take part as possible. We are holding this contest as a way to give back to a nitch part of the enthusiast community, any help we get from you would be greatly appreciated.

Our new deadline will be October 1st, with voting starting on October 3rd

I hope everyone understands!

Wes
Last edit: 31 Jul 2010 19:51 by garfi3ld.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Aug 2010 00:52 #7696 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re: Case Mod contest update
I think it's great the contest has been extended; not only does it give more people a chance to enter, but also relieves some procrastinators such as myself some pressure to get it done as quick.

And I'd really like to stress the helping advertise idea. I'm not saying post a huge image with a pre-meditated message on the forums you frequent, but just a simple 'another site I visit is having a contest I thought you guys would enjoy' kinda thing. That way we don't get banned for creating accounts and posting, regardless of how relevant the post actually is.

/subtle rant about banning :D

More
01 Aug 2010 05:19 - 01 Aug 2010 05:22 #7703 by Archaidence
Thats a long extension :huh:
i was going to start posting begin pics and every thing for voting, i was gearing up!!! :) how many mods can we enter ?
Last edit: 01 Aug 2010 05:22 by Archaidence.

More
01 Aug 2010 10:27 #7705 by garfi3ld
Yeah it is a long extension, im sorry if it causes any problems for anyone. You can enter as many mods as you would like.

Wes

More
01 Aug 2010 17:34 - 01 Aug 2010 17:47 #7707 by LeatherFace
WOW... Is this for real. You started a casemod contest and are now extending the entry deadline for 30 days-- thats bulls#it???? Because ur turn out isint good enough to you??. It is now crystal clear that this contest is NOT to show modders & gamers, how much u care and support the gaming community, its to use us to make ur website more popular.... People said that this contest would end up in shinanigans, thats why noone is entering. I have never heard of this being done EVER in a casemod contest... Shinanigans....... holding everyone at the gate is no way to start a rodeo...

we put hundreds of hours into these mods to get them ready, we take pics for u , follow all ur directions, talk to all our friends, get them to sighnup, They are supposed to start voting today, we now have to tell everyone to wait 30 more days....

We go through alot of trouble and spend 100's of hrs to get ready for these contests and abide by the rules... All we ask of u is to open it on time.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2010 17:47 by LeatherFace.

More
01 Aug 2010 19:02 - 01 Aug 2010 19:04 #7708 by jj_Sky5000
I have seen case mod extensions in other contest before. The orignal time was kind of short for people to even make a mod for the contest. It great that more people may post thier Mods and get more people to the site, those our both postives, I dont really see a negative to any of it.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2010 19:04 by jj_Sky5000.

More
01 Aug 2010 19:29 - 01 Aug 2010 21:44 #7709 by NitrosDragon
LeatherFace wrote:

holding everyone at the gate is no way to start a rodeo...

That seems like a poor analogy to me.

I think it would be more like we're extending the time of the rodeo so that more people can come and party, just in case they were too busy to make it in for the first couple bulls.

EDIT: Inevitably, it seems some cowboys are going to step in some bull shit.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose
Last edit: 01 Aug 2010 21:44 by NitrosDragon.

More
01 Aug 2010 19:58 - 01 Aug 2010 19:59 #7710 by Lersar
LeatherFace wrote:

WOW... Is this for real. You started a casemod contest and are now extending the entry deadline for 30 days-- thats bulls#it???? Because ur turn out isint good enough to you??. It is now crystal clear that this contest is NOT to show modders & gamers, how much u care and support the gaming community, its to use us to make ur website more popular....

Damn, you caught it. The hardest part was convincing the plethora of companies to donate prizes 'just to make our website more popular'. You'd think if anyone was going to call 'shenanigans' on us, it would've been the PR from the sponsors who are investing thousands of dollars.

You, sir, are arrogant. If you weren't so eager to call 'bulls#it', maybe you would've stopped to consider that we had many other modders interested in joining but felt confined by the time restraint. Or perhaps you're just pissed that this means you have less of a chance in winning? I don't know, I obviously don't have the same mind set as you. Regardless, this is a great example of the 'please one person, piss another one off' situation. Only the former had the decency to contact us personally, instead of the audacity to make insulting claims on our forums.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2010 19:59 by Lersar.

More
01 Aug 2010 20:30 #7711 by Jolly-Swagman
Yes it is True that some other sites have indeed extended the contest entry and deadline times we did @ newModCity last year so as more could enter and also finish there mods on time.
I think its a great idea as some folk I personally asked to enter thought they wouldn't have enough time, so didn't enter, maybe they might rethink and enter now, the more the merrier!

More
01 Aug 2010 23:21 - 01 Aug 2010 23:33 #7713 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: Case Mod contest update
LeatherFace wrote:

WOW... Is this for real. You started a casemod contest and are now extending the entry deadline for 30 days-- thats bulls#it???? Because ur turn out isint good enough to you??.

He did say the turnout wasn't good enough.

LeatherFace wrote:

It is now crystal clear that this contest is NOT to show modders & gamers, how much u care and support the gaming community, its to use us to make ur website more popular....

The more popular the website gets, the more companies are willing to send prizes our way. It's a win-win for all of us.

LeatherFace wrote:

People said that this contest would end up in shinanigans,

What people?

LeatherFace wrote:

thats why noone is entering. I have never heard of this being done EVER in a casemod contest... Shinanigans....... holding everyone at the gate is no way to start a rodeo...

Apparently this is your first rodeo. Contest extensions happen all the time. If actually read the rules, you'd notice it says this... "The rules are subject to change"

LeatherFace wrote:

we put hundreds of hours into these mods to get them ready, we take pics for u , follow all ur directions, talk to all our friends, get them to sighnup, They are supposed to start voting today, we now have to tell everyone to wait 30 more days....

We go through alot of trouble and spend 100's of hrs to get ready for these contests and abide by the rules... All we ask of u is to open it on time.

Wow, way to bring the whine. Do you think this makes anyone who reads this want to vote for you now? I don't care how good yours is, not that it is, I wouldn't vote for you now. BTW, pissing off the people who are in charge the contest isn't the smartest of things to do either. Another line from the rules... "LanOC Staff can remove an entry for any reason." I'd say if you don't slow your roll, you might find your entry deleted.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2010 23:33 by Nacelle.

More
02 Aug 2010 22:47 - 02 Aug 2010 22:53 #7732 by LeatherFace
ROFL....... You think modders care about the cheap prizes??? generaly , we are all sponsored anyways and get way better gear for free. our mods alone are better then the prizes... Arogence is thinking u could tell all the sponsors to donate and draw all these top modders of the world into compete in this, when u cant even get it together on time?, then change the rule on the day the contest is supposed to open, very unprofesional.. Its obvious, your using us to push ur own agenda, and realy has nothing to do with you guys loving casemodding, if that was the case, the turn out wouldnt matter, once people relize after 2 or 3 of these that people are doing them, they will join. You guys have already destroyd that and set this upto fail. People will not come back to keep competing with u guys, if u cant even get ur contests started ontime... you think your better at building computers then us, lets see ur comp(admin),LOL... Look what we build- the least u could do is start it on time. you realy dont have to be that smart to run a contest, its not the hard...

Nacelle , You truly are a hipocrit, Isint it LANOC that whinned about the turnout and changed the rules?.. I think it would be safe to say if u change the rules their might be some blow back.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2010 22:53 by LeatherFace.

More
02 Aug 2010 23:00 - 02 Aug 2010 23:26 #7733 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: Case Mod contest update
More whining isn't helping any. It just makes you look like a baby. And why such a fight if you don't care about the prizes. I don't see how your mod is worth more than they are anyways. It looks like you only spent $5 on wood and put it together at your highschool's wood shop. If you cared so much about the community, you'd be all for as many entries as possible.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2010 23:26 by Nacelle.

More
02 Aug 2010 23:01 - 02 Aug 2010 23:04 #7734 by Lersar
LeatherFace wrote:

A bunch

That's for you. I'll be sure to get whoever it is twisting your arm and keeping you here to let go now.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2010 23:04 by Lersar.

More
03 Aug 2010 00:34 - 03 Aug 2010 00:37 #7740 by garfi3ld
Ok I guess its about time I responded to this one. First thing.. It seems that I can't win. I had multiple people come to me through email, pm, and even posting on a couple of posts we made about the contest mentioning that the contest was too short for people to really get involved. I hoped that it wasn't the case, but turnout told me otherwise. After some thought I decided it was best to give everyone a chance.

With this being our first case mod contest I had no idea that a month was to short of a period of time. My research into other case mod contests didn't turn up many examples of what we had planned on doing. Most of the contests I could find were contests at LAN parties and contests put together by company's like Cooler Master and also Intel. I waited until the last moment because I wasn't sure if we would get more of a turnout at the last moment due to people maybe not wanting to show their hand too soon. Obviously that wasn't the case.

Extending the contest was never about bringing in more traffic to the site, it was about giving everyone a chance and also about being fair to the sponsors in trying to bring in the best turnout. Frankly, a top three vote out of 9 cases from 7 people doesn't seem like much fun ether. The added bonus from extending the contest was taking the stress off of me. When planning everything out I didn't think about how close this contest would be to my planning time for our LAN party, with a full time job and writing reviews full time this was just adding up to be too much for me.

"Arogence is thinking u could tell all the sponsors to donate and draw all these top modders of the world into compete in this, when u cant even get it together on time?"

For one, the contest has been together the entire time.. I have all of the prizes sitting here waiting to give to their lucky winners. Also my intention with the contest was to give out some cool prizes to a few talented modders. It is wonderful to have some of the best in the world involved, but I am also well aware that the best of the best don't need to win any contests to get the parts needed to build their rigs.

"cheap prizes"

LMAO, I guess your idea of cheap is a little different than mine. The first place prize would run just over $920 on newegg right at this moment not counting the mouse pad, MSRP would be considerably more.

" your using us to push ur own agenda, and realy has nothing to do with you guys loving casemodding"

I guess I missed where at any point we asked anyone to do anything other than post up their mods to win free stuff. If I was trying to push my "agenda" whatever it may be, I would post up giving away prizes too the 4k+ people who visit our website each day. I mean honestly, any talented case modder has access to free hardware and is normally knowledgeable about new and upcoming products, that isn't really our target audience for our reviews. The reason I decided to put together this contest is because I saw some of the cases posted up on newmodcity, and I read the build logs on both themodbrothers and the hard forum. I thought it would be interesting to see some of the cool rigs posted up here, and a few thousand dollars in prizes would be a nice way to give back to those who did.

"you think your better at building computers then us, lets see ur comp(admin),LOL..."

lmao, when did my pc get dragged into this? For one I LOVE the case mods and respect anyone who has the time, talent, and patience to do it. I wish I had more time, I would love to get into it more. Anyhow your welcome to take a look at my rig...

Is it better than everyone elses? no Am I happy with it? yes

I build my pc's for me, not anyone else.

ANYHOW how about we go play some SC2 and stop with all this stupid fighting..

Wes
Last edit: 03 Aug 2010 00:37 by garfi3ld.

More
03 Aug 2010 02:12 #7742 by NitrosDragon
garfi3ld wrote:

ANYHOW how about we go play some SC2 and stop with all this stupid fighting..

50 Points for Gryffindor! ;)

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

More
23 Aug 2010 22:12 #8411 by rifcrewtesla
Hello guys i want to submit my casemod log but i dont have a adress or link to
submit my casemod log !

More
23 Aug 2010 22:15 #8412 by rifcrewtesla
i cant find the your rig forum

More
23 Aug 2010 22:30 - 23 Aug 2010 22:31 #8413 by jj_Sky5000
Last edit: 23 Aug 2010 22:31 by jj_Sky5000.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lersar, rifcrewtesla

More
26 Aug 2010 11:33 #8537 by rifcrewtesla
Hello can some one tell me how to add photo,s to the forum i only see the link
dont see the photo it self.

Thanks

regards

rifcrewtesla

More
26 Aug 2010 13:16 #8538 by garfi3ld
When you are making your post make sure you click reply, not quick reply. That will give you a lot more options including photo attachment

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: rifcrewtesla

More
31 Aug 2010 05:52 #8695 by LeatherFace
Are the entries going to be vented today to makesure they met the picture requrments and rules set fourth at the begining, I see alot of people who have not provided a picture of them with there machine proving they still own it, amoung other rules not followed. Will these ones be un stickyd or allowed to enter the contest... and are we confirmed the voting starts tommorow and at what time????

More
31 Aug 2010 17:46 #8705 by jj_Sky5000
contest ends Oct 1st i do believe and then voting begins

More
01 Sep 2010 01:49 #8709 by LeatherFace
well yea, taht in the rules but is it at at midnight on the 31st or 12 noon on the 1st what time will the voting start, that is a kinda important tidbit...

More
01 Sep 2010 02:39 #8710 by garfi3ld

LeatherFace wrote: are we confirmed the voting starts tommorow and at what time????

As JJ pointed out, the contest entry period ends on October 1st. Voting starts on the third as stated on the rule post. JJ was getting at the fact that today is August 31st, tomorrow is September 1st.

Wes

More
22 Sep 2010 17:39 #9483 by ng_navarro
So how does this work...I just post my work log and thats it?
Coz i just wanna share my work, don't care if i don't win

More
22 Sep 2010 18:49 #9485 by Lersar

ng_navarro wrote: So how does this work...I just post my work log and thats it?
Coz i just wanna share my work, don't care if i don't win

Yes, just post your work log under the ' Your Rig ' thread. If you want to be part of the contest, the title of the post should include 'LanOC Case Mod Contest 2010' in it. Of course you can post just to show-off what you have, that was the whole idea of the contest in the first place.

More
02 Oct 2010 14:13 #9890 by rifcrewtesla
Hello guys

tomorrow the voting begins !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luk to you all

More
03 Oct 2010 01:58 #9898 by LeatherFace
What time will voting be starting and wwhat is the voting system going to look like so we may let the people know that are voting how it works

More
03 Oct 2010 03:18 - 03 Oct 2010 03:20 #9901 by Lersar
Voting will begin at 12:00 midnight Eastern Standard Time. At that time, there will be a new link on the toolbar at the top that reads Case Mod Contest Voting. Users will then be able to view a preview of each entry accompanied with a link to the original worklog post, but will vote directly from that page.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2010 03:20 by Lersar.

More
03 Oct 2010 18:06 #9920 by booman
Replied by booman on topic Re: Case Mod contest update
I want my wife to vote for my Dungeon Of Flames case mod.
She has registered on the site but will be voting from the same IP address. Will this disqualify my entry?

We have 2167 guests and no members online

supportus