SteamGameSales website... looking into it...

More
07 Apr 2011 23:42 #14901 by Leonresevil2
Found this on the Steam forums a few times, looks interesting and offers at least some very useful info on when regular prices drop (or go up!), which never appear in the sales or Specials. They have these giveaways for registered users, which looks appealing, but there's still some uncertainty about whether the Steam OpenID is safe to use or not.
My view on it is, why have I just recently heard of this, why is there no Wiki page associated, and why do they only have 5000 members? I'm still thinking about what to do with it.
And to ease your concerns, I checked the scripts and CSRFs on the site, the only things it tries to connect to are twitter and facebook, no 3rd party malicious sites within sight.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2011 01:38 #14906 by garfi3ld
yeah im not sure if im comfortable with this one. My steam account log-in is worth a considerable amount to me. I would hate to risk loosing it

Wes

More
08 Apr 2011 03:12 #14908 by Lersar
I don't get it, whats the benefit of giving your Steam credentials? Isn't the info on price drops what the site is going for?

More
08 Apr 2011 03:47 - 08 Apr 2011 03:48 #14909 by Nacelle
When you click to log in to Steam, this comes up.

Why sign in through Steam?
By signing in through Steam, www.steamgamesales.com will be able to identify you within the Steam Community and retrieve your public gameplay information (such as stats and achievements).

Steam will not reveal your username or password to this site, rather a unique numeric identifier will be shared. You should never enter your Steam login credentials into a third party website!

They also trade TF2 stuff on this site.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2011 03:48 by Nacelle.

More
08 Apr 2011 15:06 #14914 by Deepsea
Hi guys, if you're interested in download deals you could also take a look at deals4downloads.com . They collect deals from pretty much every download shop including Steam and have no registration.

More
08 Apr 2011 16:32 #14920 by Leonresevil2
I did find which explains a bit on what can be done in linking to Steam. It does say that Steam can be used as an OpenID (check out wiki if you need), and logging in should only be done on steampowered.com or the Steam platform, and Steam should send the site a 64-bit ID key that does not contain the password or anything. Still, I can see the issues potentially. I'd rather make a general account, and just list that my Steam name is 'x', like done on Playfire, and the site just pulls achievements and whatever from there, not needing my password.
However, with the new Steam security measures implemented by default, if you have your account verified to your email address, and you have a different password for Steam and that email, then you should be pretty safe.

I'm not sure, guess I just wanted thoughts, or if anyone had heard of this before. Game giveaways are great, but... what's the catch?

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
08 Apr 2011 22:52 - 08 Apr 2011 22:54 #14928 by Lersar

Nacelle wrote: When you click to log in to Steam, this comes up.

Why sign in through Steam?
By signing in through Steam, www.steamgamesales.com will be able to identify you within the Steam Community and retrieve your public gameplay information (such as stats and achievements).

Steam will not reveal your username or password to this site, rather a unique numeric identifier will be shared. You should never enter your Steam login credentials into a third party website!

They also trade TF2 stuff on this site.

Ah ok thanks, I was afraid to even click that button lol.

I think the give-aways are sincerely a way to bring people in. Assuming they are legit, they're probably aware that people look at them with skepticism. From what I could tell, the 'sponsors' of the give-aways are just members who donated up for a copy.
Last edit: 08 Apr 2011 22:54 by Lersar.

We have 2012 guests and no members online

supportus