New contest idea

More
27 Apr 2010 23:56 #4958 by garfi3ld
New contest idea was created by garfi3ld
With the Points contest causing entirely too much controversy I have been thinking of other ways to give away some cool prizes while also helping the website grow. Anyhow would everyone be interested in a contest on who could create the most helpfully or conversational post?

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2010 00:09 #4959 by technobear
Replied by technobear on topic Re:New contest idea
Whatever gets people talking again man.

More
28 Apr 2010 02:11 #4961 by NitrosDragon
Replied by NitrosDragon on topic Re:New contest idea
Without a solid scoring system, I can see some people getting upset after results are posted. And even with a solid scoring system.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]
DISCLAIMER: If my reply offends you, I probably did it on purpose

More
28 Apr 2010 12:42 #4969 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re:New contest idea
What about who can get the least amount of points? Kind of like the quiet game played with little kids :huh:
Well I guess that wouldn't really help grow the website... What happened to having events/contests through the games we play? What about best Kill/Death Ratio for BC2 or MW2, I know there are trackers out there everyone could install and put on their signature to track. You could put a min of 50 kills for the month so someone doesn't log in and kill until they die then never play the rest of the month giving them a high ratio.
Let’s do something for the site, but incorporate the games we all love and talk about.
I still like the idea of a scavenger hunt. Wes or someone takes a picture on one of the maps in TF2, and it's up to everyone else to find it and take another picture and post it up. Whoever posts 1st gets 5 points up to the top 5 people for each picture, then you tally the points at the end of the week/month.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
28 Apr 2010 13:06 #4970 by technobear
Karma bump to TwoDaves for a great idea on the scavenger hunt..!~!!!

More
28 Apr 2010 14:23 - 28 Apr 2010 14:24 #4973 by Reaper
Replied by Reaper on topic Re:New contest idea
How about a mock review contest? Either take an existing review from LanOC and turn it into something satirical ... or reviewing something fictitious or extremely unrelated to gaming in general, again in a satirical format? Staff could select 5-10 finalists (based on how many were submitted). The finalists could have a short time (a day or two) to make some final revisions, then open community voting for the winner.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2010 14:24 by Reaper. Reason: GRAMMAR

More
28 Apr 2010 15:07 #4975 by Twodavez
technobear wrote:

Karma bump to TwoDaves for a great idea on the scavenger hunt..!~!!!

I remember suggesting this back with LAN OC had a TF2 server as it's something to do when the server is empty. All of the maps have some really cool stuff in them, but everyone is soo busy trying to kill the other team/capture points they don't even notice.
Plus just playing around on the server people would join in to either play or help you look for things which helped get the server going for the night. Once it was half full, it would stay full for the rest of the night. It was just the initial push that was hard to do. Plus there was a group of people who would always vote for arena maps which would sometimes kill the server and half the people would leave. You can't go from a instand respawn payload map to a arena map, it's too different types of people who like to play them. :laugh:
But that's all in the past now...

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
28 Apr 2010 21:10 #4998 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re:New contest idea
im all for the scavenger hunt but we had almost no activity last time we tried it. In fact I think two people attempted it at all

Wes

More
29 Apr 2010 13:59 #5019 by Twodavez
I guess i don't evern remebering it being tried... Sorry to bring up a previously failed idea :unsure:

Wonder if it could be a search of a sponser's site. like at what point does the Coolermaster girl touch her nose when reviewing X product. Something like they tried at Stompfest to get people to look at their sites... Maybe the sponsers would kick in prizes for people exploring their site.
I think it didn't work at stompfest becuase while at a Lan with interenet problems, why would you want to spend any time reading through a modders website. you're there to game, not read and research for random prizes...

More
04 May 2010 17:39 #5412 by Twodavez
What about a contest to use the points we have accumulate. You could pick 2-3 prizes and raffle them off. The way you get raffle tickets is to spend your points. So if you wanted a chance at a case you have to raffle, each ticket cost 25 points and you could buy as many "tickets" as you wanted. Or you could put in for a Origomi HD holder for only 5 points a ticket. The better the prize, the more points you'd have to use to buy tickets. Then at the end of the month you take all the "Tickets" and draw at random a winner. The more you participate on the website, the most chances you could get towards a prize. Then if you wanted to try to save up for something you really wanted, you could and buy tons of tickets for a bigger item.
The items could be as simply as a $5.00 gift card to Best buy or another online retailer to a mouse or something else reviewed that's cool and people want.

More
04 May 2010 17:43 #5414 by Davey_Boy
Replied by Davey_Boy on topic Re:New contest idea
:woohoo: !!!You could raffle off your new custom build!!! :woohoo:

More
04 May 2010 17:44 #5415 by technobear
Twodavez wrote:

What about a contest to use the points we have accumulate. You could pick 2-3 prizes and raffle them off. The way you get raffle tickets is to spend your points. So if you wanted a chance at a case you have to raffle, each ticket cost 25 points and you could buy as many "tickets" as you wanted. Or you could put in for a Origomi HD holder for only 5 points a ticket. The better the prize, the more points you'd have to use to buy tickets. Then at the end of the month you take all the "Tickets" and draw at random a winner. The more you participate on the website, the most chances you could get towards a prize. Then if you wanted to try to save up for something you really wanted, you could and buy tons of tickets for a bigger item.
The items could be as simply as a $5.00 gift card to Best buy or another online retailer to a mouse or something else reviewed that's cool and people want.

Karma bump for great idea

More
04 May 2010 18:59 #5417 by Twodavez
starkiller1 wrote:

:woohoo: !!!You could raffle off your new custom build!!! :woohoo:

Or you could raffle off that really cool modded case from stompfest... (that is if your not going to use it)

More
04 May 2010 20:55 #5428 by garfi3ld
Twodavez wrote:

this is a good idea. To keep it simple I would guess it would just be one prize each month. But I like the idea, maybe one ticket for every 50 or 100 points. I will have to take a look at the software, I know it does alow for raffles. But I dont think it will let us do it this way. If so, it would have to be done by hand

Wes

More
18 May 2010 20:26 #5971 by technobear
so what is this months contest? or has the contest idea been kiboshed?

More
26 May 2010 13:42 #6202 by Twodavez
I thought of a really odd contest idea for a LAN.
Keyboard search and repair: Take an old keyboard and pop-off all the keys. put them in a box and time people on how fast they can put the keys back on the keyboard. Yeah the keyboard is something we all use on a daily basis, but do you think you could put all the keys where they belong without having a computer to tell you where the buttons go. Might be an interesting contest and would sure be fun to see how many people put all the letter keys in the right spots.

More
26 May 2010 13:43 #6203 by technobear
Twodavez wrote:

Keyboard search and repair: Take an old keyboard and pop-off all the keys. put them in a box and time people on how fast they can put the keys back on the keyboard. Yeah the keyboard is something we all use on a daily basis, but do you think you could put all the keys where they belong without having a computer to tell you where the buttons go. Might be an interesting contest and would sure be fun to see how many people put all the letter keys in the right spots.

+karma

More
26 May 2010 14:27 #6205 by NitrosDragon
Twodavez wrote:

This really is quite clever.
They should have to type a sentence with it, too. See how many of them turn out silly.
If there was something to replace mouse toss, I vote this.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]

More
26 May 2010 14:39 #6206 by technobear
CRT Monitor stack.
we get a bunch of CRTs ( come on most of us still have them) we go out to the grass.. and see who can stack the crts the highest..

More
26 May 2010 14:40 #6207 by NitrosDragon
technobear wrote:

CRT Monitor stack.
we get a bunch of CRTs ( come on most of us still have them) we go out to the grass.. and see who can stack the crts the highest..

I predict injuries or a "tallest person wins" scenario.

[nahy-trohs-drag-uhn]

More
26 May 2010 14:43 #6208 by technobear
ladders and being careful..
its to get them tall not to make amess.

and have you tried to stack CRTs? i predect 4-5 on average..

More
26 May 2010 14:50 #6209 by drpain
Replied by drpain on topic Re:New contest idea
lol dude I don't know why but I immediately thought of that South Park episode where they built a ladder to heaven to find Kenny and get his ticket to get a years supply of candy.

"where were you when they built that ladder to heaven"

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
26 May 2010 15:29 #6210 by Twodavez
NitrosDragon wrote:

technobear wrote:

CRT Monitor stack.

I predict injuries or a "tallest person wins" scenario.

Being one of the tallest people at the LAN's i vote for this idea :-)
I do have a 19" CRT in my shed :huh:

More
26 May 2010 15:36 #6211 by technobear
the entry fee for this contest could be to bring a CRT with you ( or two for generosity)

then maybe the winner wins either a vid card or a monitor..

More
26 May 2010 21:30 #6225 by garfi3ld
As much fun as it really does sound. I don't like the safety issues this could cause. Not to mention the risk of busting one, the glass would be a mess and legally its against the law to bust them I think.

I can also see some being left at the lan lol.

Wes

More
26 May 2010 22:47 #6227 by Twodavez
garfi3ld wrote:

As much fun as it really does sound. I don't like the safety issues this could cause. Not to mention the risk of busting one, the glass would be a mess and legally its against the law to bust them I think.

I can also see some being left at the lan lol.

I was thinking bout the safety of the screens and the mess, because to win, people will try whatever to get them to stack. What about the Keyboard idea? i think it could be interesting...

We have 2640 guests and no members online

supportus