Nvidia GTX 680 Kepler

More
02 Apr 2012 20:13 - 02 Apr 2012 20:13 #24439 by Shin0bi272
But it should still score higher if the fps are higher and the temps are lower... but it doesnt. Its a bad benchmark that claims a card that performs worse is a better card.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2012 20:13 by Shin0bi272.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2012 20:45 #24440 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: Nvidia GTX 680 Kepler
Yeah, we only use Furmark for the temperatures, the FPS and scores are not a good way to compare cards, but we do keep them in the graph for anyone to see them if they would like.

Both AMD and Nvidia have safeguards to actually pull performance to protect the card from being damaged when using Furmark.

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shin0bi272

More
03 Apr 2012 01:31 #24449 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: Nvidia GTX 680 Kepler
Furmark is one of those benchmarks that I ignore, along with 3dmark. They're kind of meaningless. I go by the benchmarks from games that I actually play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shin0bi272

More
03 Apr 2012 07:52 #24454 by Wingcmdr77
So am I to assume like most series of cards this is going to start dropping the 500 series
a bit more that it has already? Might need to get another 570. Seems that's how its typically been..

More
03 Apr 2012 08:02 #24455 by garfi3ld

Wingcmdr77 wrote: So am I to assume like most series of cards this is going to start dropping the 500 series
a bit more that it has already? Might need to get another 570. Seems that's how its typically been..

it will drop with/ahead of the launch of comparable cards. But you also have to watch it because as they start to run out of stock the prices will actually go up a lot too

Wes

More
04 Apr 2012 06:12 #24470 by Shin0bi272
the fps and temps wouldnt be a bad way to compare generally but their scoring system seems out of whack. Tomshardware and anandtech are moving to other programs (like bitcoin) to stress the hardware with a program that doesnt kick the safeguards in.

More
04 Apr 2012 06:17 - 04 Apr 2012 06:19 #24471 by Shin0bi272
I agree. Synthetic benchmarks designed to try to kill your video card arent a good benchmark for anything other than the cooler on the card and the power supply in your pc. What irks me though is their own website says the object of their program is to get the highest fps with the lowest temp then their burn-in score is lower for a card that got higher fps and lower temp than another card. Its like saying the purpose of your bake sale is to send the senior class on a trip and then taking the money and blowing it all on shoes.

[edit] ok the reply system didnt act like I was thinking it would... sorry. This reply was to Nacelle[/edit]
Last edit: 04 Apr 2012 06:19 by Shin0bi272.

More
04 Apr 2012 06:56 #24472 by garfi3ld
yeah the scoring doesn't do a good job comparing cards. It gives as much favor to temperature performance as it does FPS. The problem is they can't be compared on the same scale. By doing it the way they do it, You end up with higher scores for lower performing cards because they put out more heat. Their score does show what card is the most efficient heat/performance, but thats not the card that most people are going to be looking for.

Wes

More
04 Apr 2012 07:05 #24473 by Wingless92
I like the Bitcoin test. Also, folding has a huge following that people use some crazy setups for.

We have 1768 guests and no members online

supportus