Thoughts on Selling Food at the Event

More
04 Feb 2014 21:33 #33901 by Koolaid84
Would like to hear thoughts/opinions on if we were to sell hot dogs at the Event, just kinda to try to feel this idea to the lan community if enough people were interested. Any thing is appreciated thanks! PM with any questions if you dont want to post them :)

Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead. --Anon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2014 03:14 - 05 Feb 2014 03:14 #33907 by Wingcmdr77
I'd say that if the Breakfast on Sunday is a hit that this would be as well. Personally it's a great idea and can put a few dollars back into the LAN for expenses etc...
Last edit: 05 Feb 2014 03:14 by Wingcmdr77.

More
05 Feb 2014 05:25 #33908 by Deb0
Lazy gamers + food in the room = Profit.

More
05 Feb 2014 13:00 #33909 by Twodavez
Personally i wouldn't be a fan of hotdogs, but if you got a grill out and made burgers, brats, or something else i'd be interested. I always enjoyed when a big pizza order was taken, granted i'm the guy that usually did it, but at other events, it's always nice when food arrives and every ones kinda eating at the same time.
I always forget i'm hungry, until someone orders pizza then the smell fills the room and everyone else realizes they are hungry too and order, but those pizzas are still 30 min away. :-(

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
05 Feb 2014 13:48 #33912 by renegade
From doing this myself at NeXus I found that unless there is a good selection of items the sales are not that great and most go out and get food. This is why I stopped doing it myself as it was a full time job to get all the items have them ready etc. I much like having the kitchen at our new location, but even with that we had to make changes for it to be a good fit from the 1st time there. Selection was not enough and they didnt sell alot. They changes to multiple items available at most times etc and the sales were ALOT better this last time.

So just hot dogs. You will sell some but might not be worth the time an effort. If you have Hot Dogs, Burgers, chips, candy, drinks, etc then you will do better of course this means alot more work, money put out in supplies etc.

More
07 Feb 2014 13:30 #33965 by cytog64
I have lost money trying to sell food at my LAN Parties.

From an attendee standpoint, I plan to head out for food.

More
07 Feb 2014 13:53 - 07 Feb 2014 14:28 #33967 by garfi3ld
"I have lost money trying to sell food at my LAN Parties"
we have as well

The building offered to let us use their hot dog roller. I have no intentions of doing anything other than hot dogs. But we were considering doing just the dogs, so far obviously there isn't a good response on it though

Wes
Last edit: 07 Feb 2014 14:28 by garfi3ld.

More
07 Feb 2014 14:22 #33968 by Dreyvas
At the old venue it might have gone better, but since this one is right next to the fast food strip it's just far too convenient to make a quick run.

More
08 Feb 2014 17:27 #33993 by Rhythmatic
I have intentions on heading out for food (that Chinese Buffet by the Walmart is excellent), so I probably wouldn't be interested in hot dogs.

More
09 Feb 2014 01:19 #34000 by Twodavez
I do enjoy having pop and water available for sale. I don't drink pop, but at LAN parties, so being able to buy 4 is nice, plus their cold. I doubt you're thinking about stopping pop, but you might be as it's technically a food item.

Also, if anyone is buying a case of bawls, you might want to think about selling them by the bottle as i know i'll buy one for a small markup on your cost. I just can't justify buying an entire case.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
09 Feb 2014 14:59 #34004 by Wooderson

Twodavez wrote: Also, if anyone is buying a case of bawls, you might want to think about selling them by the bottle as i know i'll buy one for a small markup on your cost. I just can't justify buying an entire case.

I'm with Dave on this one. I might buy a couple of bottles of bawls over the weekend, but dropping $20 to $40 on energy drinks seems excessive. If you found a good price and sold by the bottle you would make a ton. As far as food most will go out for there Van Wert favorites (including myself) It's almost traditions to go to Frickers and the pizza buffet. So I think you could do snacks ,but the headache wouldn't be worth the profit.

I kill CPU's

More
10 Feb 2014 00:56 #34013 by renegade
people looking for just some energy drinks should go together an get a half case an split that

i stopped doing singles because it was like a job all weekend an i want to game so i changed to the case or half case only setup
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
10 Feb 2014 23:41 #34024 by Twodavez

renegade wrote: people looking for just some energy drinks should go together an get a half case an split that

i stopped doing singles because it was like a job all weekend an i want to game so i changed to the case or half case only setup

That's more work than i'd wanna do to organize the purchase of half a case, and i totally agree that it's a full time job selling individuals, you have to keep them cold, be interrupted whenever someone wants one to only make $.50 per, it's not worth it.
I'm not disappointed in your choice not to sell individuals, that's why I've limited the pancakes and sausage time, i wanna game too, and if i mix up a new batch of LANcakes every time someone wakes up to eat, i'd be there till noon.
But if several people were willing to sell a individuals, they could and i'd buy one, that's all i'm saying.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
11 Feb 2014 01:50 #34026 by Myndmelt
I like an occassional geek beer and all but I can't justify the cost of getting half a case or full case when I can go to the gas station and get my pick of nearly anything other than bawls at 2for3 or 2for4 prices. Oh well, it works for me.

We have 1944 guests and no members online

supportus