Is the end nigh for the optical drive?

More
30 Jun 2013 01:07 - 30 Jun 2013 01:08 #31586 by Wingcmdr77
So many devices are shipped without one, these days. Most of its functions can be done with the USB ports which is on about everything.

Side note- I still use my USB Floppy Drive once a year for that really old Legacy Program.

Optical Drives heading the way of the VCR? What stage cancer is it in now? Or is it already terminal with months or years to live? :S
Last edit: 30 Jun 2013 01:08 by Wingcmdr77.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2013 01:53 #31587 by Deb0
As long as they still sell Bluerays and I am still too lazy to go out to the living room, the optical drive will be fine.

More
30 Jun 2013 02:19 #31588 by garfi3ld
I don't think that everyone will want or need a dvd/bluray drive in every pc. But its nice to have a USB one around.

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
30 Jun 2013 07:48 #31590 by Arxon
Yeah, we have a usb3.0 bluray drive. If we want to watch a bluray we hook it up and go. But other than that none of our PCs have an optical drive in it.

More
30 Jun 2013 15:51 #31591 by L0rdG1gabyt3
When I built my computer last year I really debated on if I even needed one.... I decided it couldnt hurt to have one, and for under $20, they are cheap.

More
30 Jun 2013 22:24 #31592 by Twodavez

L0rdG1gabyt3 wrote: When I built my computer last year I really debated on if I even needed one.... I decided it couldnt hurt to have one, and for under $20, they are cheap.

I highly doubt my next build will have one. I just don't like the way they look with all the logos on the front of them, and i'm too lazy to take it all apart to tape it up to paint it to match my case.

Still need it to install windows (Unless you get the legal download from microsoft)

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
30 Jun 2013 23:19 #31593 by Wingcmdr77
Believe it or not, I just posted up with question because of the latest CPU Mag phrase. In it the editors were installing Windows 8 off a USB and stated that the Optical Drive was becoming more and more obsolete.

More
30 Jun 2013 23:37 #31594 by Deb0
Oh I install my OS off a USB. It's just you have all those bays it feels do to not use at least one of them.

More
01 Jul 2013 00:06 #31595 by renegade
Once they start selling software on USB yes optical will go, but movies, games, etc are all still on dvd/blue ray so for an average consumer they are still a needed item.

Now for the higher end system builders etc like us I can see most of us doing with out them as we install OS etc to USB drives.

From what I have read the biggest industries keeping dvd's alive are Hollywood and music industry as right now they are scared of moving to USB due to lack of protection.

More
01 Jul 2013 01:03 #31596 by Deb0
It's all them damn pirates.

More
01 Jul 2013 02:43 #31598 by Twodavez
Are DVD/Blue Ray's cheaper to produce than a 4+ gig USB? They certainly do have a "sex appeal" to those with huge collections. I know lots of people who really enjoy putting in a DVD, even if they could watch it on demand via their service provider.

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
01 Jul 2013 07:13 #31599 by L0rdG1gabyt3

Twodavez wrote: I highly doubt my next build will have one. I just don't like the way they look with all the logos on the front of them, and i'm too lazy to take it all apart to tape it up to paint it to match my case.

Still need it to install windows (Unless you get the legal download from microsoft)

Microsoft actually offers the tools needed to get a USB stick setup with Win7 and 8 for free. Its the only way I do it at work anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arxon

More
01 Jul 2013 08:24 #31600 by Arxon
I am with Giga on this one. Granted the read speeds of a dvd are faster than usb right now.

More
01 Jul 2013 10:45 #31601 by garfi3ld
its not as far off as you might think

A x24 DVD drive typically only does a read speed of x16

That is 22.16MB/s

USB 2.0 is capable of 35 MB/s
USB 3.2 is capable of 400 MB/s

(I was actually surprised at how slow DVD read speed is when looking this up)

Wes

More
01 Jul 2013 13:05 #31602 by Arxon
Meant bluray sorry

More
03 Jul 2013 20:28 #31627 by Wingcmdr77
Thanks to everyone whom commented great responses. Great debates are always welcome in my book! B)

We have 1433 guests and no members online

supportus