MW3 and other FPS players: Field of View thoughts?

More
03 Mar 2012 00:54 #23499 by Rhythmatic
As the title suggests, I'd like to get a discussion going on how PC players feel about the limited 65 degree field of view? As an old school FPS fan, I have always hated it (it gives me a headache/makes me dizzy) and am an avid fan of using 90 or higher. I'm a Quake3/Unreal guy, so I often used 100 or 110.

There's a good article about it here: www.mapmodnews.com/article.php/Modern-Warfare-3-FoV-Explained

That site also offers an FoV changer which I've used and really enjoy (and I've been using it for months and months now, it's not something that will get you in trouble, they're much MUCH more concerned with the plethora of aimbotters, wallhackers, and stat padders) and I was wondering that if we were to get any MW3 games going at the LAN, if using it would be allowed/accepted. Preferably everyone would have it and it allows adjusting the FoV anywhere between 65 and 90, so people can find their comfort zone. I absolutely and completely understand if it's not allowed or people don't like this idea, and will not use it at the LAN under any circumstances. I want to highlight this fact in the linked article however: "The FoV advantage/Disadvantage is already in the game. If your screen size, desk position, eyes allow you to focus your vision on the whole screen you have an advantage on me. I have to move the mouse to check the 65 FoV area because I can only focus on 50° with the default FoV. Also the game provides different FoV for different aspect ratio. 16/10 and 4/3 users have a lower FoV than console players and 16/9 users (???)"

Thoughts? Please don't get out the pitchforks, I'm looking for honest opinions and adult discussion on this. Peace and love, haha B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2012 02:36 #23503 by Arxon
I play to have fun. If you want to change your FOV by all means have at it. I used to do it in quake/unreal also.

More
03 Mar 2012 02:52 - 03 Mar 2012 02:56 #23504 by Rhythmatic

Arxon wrote: I play to have fun. If you want to change your FOV by all means have at it. I used to do it in quake/unreal also.

Yeah, but at least in those games it was an actual option and was supported. I hate that it's not an option in MW3, because isn't it an option in BF3/BFBC2? I know it's available in the new Tribes Ascend, so it's frustrating that it's non-existent in the Modern Warfares. So I'm of the opinion that if everyone has the option of using it, it's essentially like a community supported patch or mod, and in a LAN setting should be okay. I just don't want anyone to feel like they're at a disadvantage.

One drawback is that while the FoV changes, things get smaller when they're farther away from your character. Most people have huge monitors nowadays though, so it's not much of a difference. I'm rocking a now meager 20.1", and someday I'll get one of those awesome Hanns-G beasts like Wingless has, haha.
Last edit: 03 Mar 2012 02:56 by Rhythmatic.

More
06 Mar 2012 11:49 #23607 by mc_disease
Bump for more discussion. I completely agree with Rhythmatic, but I understand if we're not allowed to use it at the LAN, since it technically could be considered a hack. I'd like Wes, Wingless, or another member of staff to chime in with the final word.

More
06 Mar 2012 17:08 #23608 by Nacelle
Since I rock Eyefinity, you have to assume that I'm all for the biggest FOV one can get. I get the occasional person who thinks I'm cheating. I say, PC gaming isn't where you go to get fair. If you want standards where everyone else is stuck with the same specs, go play with the kiddies on the consoles. PC's are about who's got the biggest baddest gear and can use that advantage to get an edge over everyone else. Of course at LAN parties, pretty much everyone has bad-arse gear. My problem is, CoD looks like total crap when modded to fill all three screens. Take crap-tastic graphics and zoom in, you get a pixelated mess.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rhythmatic

More
06 Mar 2012 20:58 #23619 by Wingless92
I would agree with the FOV discussion. If you can change it in game, then it's not a hack. I tried to play the Darkness II but the FOV was so small that I damn near got sick.

As for the LAN. Like I said before, change it if its there. Just don't hack the game to get a leg up on people.

I try and rock the fattest FOV that I can. But most games I don't have a problem with it anyways.

Never had a problem with COD either. Then again, I had to run Widescreen Fixer when I was rocking the Surround setup.

More
06 Mar 2012 22:24 - 06 Mar 2012 22:26 #23622 by Nacelle
Widescreen fixer is what I used. It just makes CoD look bad. It does wonders for The Old Repulblic though. It pushes all the HUD to the center screen where you can see it.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2012 22:26 by Nacelle.

More
08 Mar 2012 10:30 #23667 by Rhythmatic
I want to quote the readme here for the program that I use, just to help quell concerns. I've been using this for a very long time and have had no issues.

- MW3 FoV Changer by AgentRev -

"I receive strange errors about missing DLL files or .NET Framework or whatever when I try to use the FoV changer?"
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Send me an email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., and be sure to include screenshot(s) so I can identify the problem. If you are on Windows XP, I would suggest you to make sure you have the .NET Framework 2.0 installed (www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=19). For Vista and 7, .NET 2.0 is already integrated into Windows.

"How come the zoomed-in (aim-down-sight) FoV won't change too?"
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
That's how the "cg_fov" variable works and has ever worked. It would be easy to do so by using "cg_fovScale", but I don't want a bunch of whiners crying out it would allow people to zoom out with snipers without using the variable scope attachment and shit.

"How come the program doesn't need to be updated each time the game receives a patch?"
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Because unlike lazy coders out there, I included a memory pattern research system which is able to locate the new FoV value when it changes. When the new offset is found, it is saved in the program's settings file.

"Can this FoV changer cause a ban from Valve Anti-Cheat?"
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
The method used to change the FoV itself is not flaggable, however if Valve decides that it's considered cheating, I do believe they are able to identify if the EXE itself is running and ban people on this basis. That is however very unlikely, since there have been already a good bunch of cheap FoV changers publicly released on hacksites since Day 1, but to my knowledge there haven't been any bans reported so far.

Also, this program is made in good faith just like the popular "Widescreen Fixer", and its purpose isn't to give an unfair advantage over other players, so I don't think it's really gonna cause a problem at all.

But, since we can't know for sure, I still included a checkup system in the program that will warn you if I receive multiple reports of VAC bans, and will let you either close the program or continue using it at your owns risks.

If you think you might have been banned stricly due to the use of the FoV changer, please notify me as soon as possible at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

"omgwtfbbq, liek, can u make this for xbox/ps3?! pls!!1!"
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
No.

"So how does this shit work?"
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Everything is made in C#. At first, the memory research was in C++, but having a DLL to carry was kind of a pain, so I converted all my code into C# and it all does just fine.

I compiled everything for .NET 2.0, since additions made to later .NET versions were unneeded, and also because it reduces compatibity issues due to not having the latest framework installed.

If you find a bug or got a feature request, drop me an email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I guess what I'm looking for is that if we get a game going, can we make an announcement to offer this program available to all who choose to play? I feel like since so many other games offer field of view adjustments that awareness of an option for such a popular game can only help.

More
08 Mar 2012 11:50 #23669 by garfi3ld
sorry i haven't responded on this. I have been out of town. Keep the conversation going I would love to hear everyones feedback on it. Just for future reference really. Once I get back in town hopefully I will be able to put a little more time into looking into this and checking it out myself :)

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rhythmatic, mc_disease

More
08 Mar 2012 17:59 #23672 by Dreyvas
I don't have any thoughts really, and I don't personally care if anyone uses FOV tweaks. Whatever floats your boat, you'll still die to a headshot just the same. :)

More
08 Mar 2012 21:54 #23678 by L0rdG1gabyt3
For casual LAN party play, as long as your not using wall-hacks or aimbots, it doesnt really matter to me. If it was a tournament with prizes, then they may be an issue. Keeping the FOV the same for all tourney participants is the way to go. Keeps the playing field level, so skill is what would matter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arxon

More
08 Mar 2012 23:57 #23681 by renegade
I would say if the game has pov options in it with out hacking the console, or the game then its fine in a tournament as its part of the game an anyone else in said tournament would have the option to use a changed pov.

If the game has to be altered or a 3rd party app used then no altering pov would be considered disqualification in the event anyone had an issue.

So basically speaking if the option is in the game for all cool. Only using options that are in a game with out cheat codes, or altering the game code to access the option are allowable in a tournament IMO.

More
08 Jul 2012 05:48 #26003 by Rhythmatic
Necro'ing this just because I recently happened upon this: community.activision.com/message/205674719

:woohoo:

We have 2406 guests and no members online

supportus