Curiosity

More
07 Jun 2012 23:08 #25561 by Lersar
Curiosity was created by Lersar
So Peter Molyneux, best know for the Fable franchise and one of the pioneers with the Kinect technology, has announced his new game, Curiosity. Essentially, there is a white room and a giant black cube in it that players will chip away at to find what is in the middle. This is an MMO, and there is only one cube. So one player will find out what lies within depending on how much time and money he wants to spend on it.

That's the interesting part: DLC. The game will offer DLC upgrade to your 'chisel', that will range anywhere from 10x as powerful to 100,000x more powerful. That diamond chisel that is 100,000x times as powerful is 50,000 Euros. That's approx. $62,980.22.

Molyneux says "This is not a money-making exercise; it is a test about the psychology of monetisation." What do you guys think?

Source: www.pcgamer.com/2012/06/07/peter-molyneu...-a-50000-dlc-chisel/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2012 00:37 #25568 by Davey_Boy
Replied by Davey_Boy on topic Re: Curiosity
hahahaha thousands of people all chipping away at the same cube? interesting hahaha

More
08 Jun 2012 00:50 #25570 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: Curiosity
Give us your money II: This time, it's personal
DIRECTOR'S CUT

More
08 Jun 2012 03:08 #25580 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re: Curiosity
I'd have to agree. In layman's terms, he's studying if people give him a lot of money. I just don't feel like the question of if people are willing to spend money on DLC or any add-on is even a question, given the current state of the industry.

More
08 Jun 2012 04:56 #25586 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic Re: Curiosity
to me its a question of how much are people willing to pay to one up someone else. If cars and computers have shown me anything, there will always be someone who is willing to pay to be able to say they have something better than their peers

Wes

More
08 Jun 2012 18:30 #25596 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Re: Curiosity

garfi3ld wrote: to me its a question of how much are people willing to pay to one up someone else. If cars and computers have shown me anything, there will always be someone who is willing to pay to be able to say they have something better than their peers

Which is the same as when people pay to unlock guns, premiums, etc. People do it, it's not something that needs to be proven in my opinion. But I don't know if people are going to pay much money at all on something that will eventually be gone, solved... How ever youd like to think of it. You can always jump into a death match, or wear Broloaf skin. But once the 'mystery' is solved, what are you going to do with that chisel?

More
08 Jun 2012 19:04 #25598 by garfi3ld
walk around realizing you wasted all of that money as the developer laughs all the way to the bank :D

Wes

More
08 Jun 2012 19:50 #25601 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re: Curiosity

garfi3ld wrote: to me its a question of how much are people willing to pay to one up someone else. If cars and computers have shown me anything, there will always be someone who is willing to pay to be able to say they have something better than their peers

Says the person with the double processor PC build... Just kidding, we're all excited to see that bad boy up and running! Spider Solitair will run soo smoooooth! ;)

I think the game concept is interested. What if they told you what was in teh box. It's the new gaming system you could win before everyone else. They at least you could say, i'm going to spend $5 and buy the chisel and if even if i don't win, it was still fun trying.

It's like gambling, but with the stupidity of not knowing what you're going to win or even the odds of winning.

A fun twist would be to refund everyone's money at the end and just write it off as an experiment to be studied by some college student for their Dr. thesis paper!

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
08 Jun 2012 20:17 #25602 by garfi3ld
speaking of I have new pictures to post

Wes

More
08 Jun 2012 23:48 #25607 by drpain
Replied by drpain on topic Re: Curiosity
Molyneux is off he meds again is all I have to say. I understand what he is trying to do but it's still Peter Molyneux and let's face it, this dude talks a big talk but can't walk the walk haha.

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

More
17 Jun 2012 02:07 #25767 by Leonresevil2
Replied by Leonresevil2 on topic Re: Curiosity
Click a Cow: Minecraft Edition

I've tried most of his games, and he tends to over-commit and underwhelm.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
18 Jun 2012 07:04 #25774 by Shroud
Replied by Shroud on topic Re: Curiosity
Watch Notch win.

More
18 Jun 2012 20:51 #25783 by Twodavez
Replied by Twodavez on topic Re: Curiosity
I was talking to a co-worker who used to play a game that had a real money economy. It was a futuristic game where you had to buy bullets, guns, armor and all that. The way to make money in the game was to do PVP. If you killed someone, they would drop their items, or a certian amount of their items, then you could turn them into the Game's computer for cash credit on your account. He said he spent a few thousand on the game to get competitive, but said there are people on there with accounts in the tens of thousands. these are people who've actually spent ten to twenty thousand dollars to get the items to be a top competior in the game.

He basically called it "Legal Gambling" as it was kind of a gamble if you would kill or be killed. He said there are items on their auction house for lots of money! He quit playing it, but stil has all his gear as it goes up in price since they don't make some of it anymore.

I just thought it was the same concept, but with a more friendly context.

I konw i'd buy this game for $5 and just let it run. I wouldn't invest thousands of dollars, but it's just like the people who play the lottery. Yeah you have a 1 in 100,000,000 chance of winning, but someone's gotta win! You all forget that this is entertainment (granted watching pieces fall from a cube isn't as much fun as a FPS, but people never the less spend hours on their minecraft servers building things that get wiped out with the next patch...)

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
18 Jun 2012 21:55 #25791 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: Curiosity

Twodavez wrote: I was talking to a co-worker who used to play a game that had a real money economy. It was a futuristic game where you had to buy bullets, guns, armor and all that. The way to make money in the game was to do PVP. If you killed someone, they would drop their items, or a certian amount of their items, then you could turn them into the Game's computer for cash credit on your account. He said he spent a few thousand on the game to get competitive, but said there are people on there with accounts in the tens of thousands. these are people who've actually spent ten to twenty thousand dollars to get the items to be a top competior in the game.

He basically called it "Legal Gambling" as it was kind of a gamble if you would kill or be killed. He said there are items on their auction house for lots of money! He quit playing it, but stil has all his gear as it goes up in price since they don't make some of it anymore.

Entropia, I'm assuming. That game was absolutely fucking terrible.

More
23 Jun 2012 10:37 #25877 by Leonresevil2
Replied by Leonresevil2 on topic Re: Curiosity
People are willing to pay money for epeen. Of course, I could see this game being DESTROYED by bots. People wouldn't actually even play, and for good reason, as it sounds like crap.

I've been watching several of the WTF Is... series. People make games off the weakest ideas sometimes, and hardly even finish designing them. Sounds like this is the plan.

Inb4 Ponies at the core.

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

We have 1385 guests and no members online

supportus