Modern Warfare 2 Free Weekend

More
07 Apr 2010 15:23 #3471 by Dreyvas
Yeah, random much? I saw this on my Steam News just a little bit ago. We get really lucky with free weekends during LanOC, so maybe a few people can try this for the first time this weekend.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2010 15:24 #3472 by Lersar
OMG thank you Steam god!

More
07 Apr 2010 15:26 #3473 by Davey_Boy
Lersar wrote:

OMG thank you Steam god!

lawl

Wish they had one for BC2, then I could get away with not buying it right away haha save my money...for...other...more...important stuff...yea :P

More
07 Apr 2010 15:32 #3475 by Wingless92
With big games like this for me it's always better just to pick them up. That way I have all of them. On the other hand, I just picked up Trackmania and that game was free, took me 7 months to get it, lol.

More
07 Apr 2010 15:50 #3480 by Scy
Too bad it's this weekend and not next weekend...

More
07 Apr 2010 15:55 #3483 by Dreyvas
Ah, you're absolutely right, I got my weekends mixed up. This weekend is Stompfest, not LanOC.

More
07 Apr 2010 15:59 #3485 by garfi3ld
yeah that part is a bummer, but I know I am planning on playing it a little this weekend.

Wes

More
07 Apr 2010 16:02 #3486 by Tiffany
garfi3ld wrote:

yeah that part is a bummer, but I know I am planning on playing it a little this weekend.

It's impossible to just play "a little" ;)

More
07 Apr 2010 16:42 #3491 by Twodavez
Maybe we'll get a few games going at Stompfest this weekend, I thought the game looked good, but i was more interested in spending my money on BC2 as i was a huge fan of the previous releases!

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
07 Apr 2010 18:58 #3513 by Tiffany
Twodavez wrote:

I thought the game looked good

understatement :P

More
07 Apr 2010 19:11 #3515 by Wingless92
I'm more of a COD4 fan than of the new one. On the other hand BBC2 is some badazzery!!! Loving that game so far.

More
08 Apr 2010 02:53 #3523 by Leonresevil2
I wish this was the week of LanOC. Nonetheless, my laptop ran CoD4 at blazing 10-20fps, so I have a feeling MW2 wouldn't do so well. Can you have 1/2fps? :silly:

"You should the forums"
Better words never said.

More
08 Apr 2010 12:06 #3533 by Twodavez
I told my friend at work that it's going to be a free weekend of MW2, his response was "you could always play COD1, COD2, COD3, and COD4:MW and the gameplay would be exactly the same. All they do is change the setting. I enjoy the game, but the action is just toooo frantic in multiplayer, especially if you don't know the maps. You'll be dead in about 10s."
I thought it was funny!

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.” - Mark Twain

More
08 Apr 2010 12:50 #3534 by Reaper
People give the game a ton of crap without trying it out, that's what the free weekend is all about. Download it, play it to L10 or so (that should take under an hour), see if you think it's the same game as CoD4. Custom kill streaks, death streaks, and many changes to the perks as well as a game engine overhaul. The first time you play as a chopper gunner or AC130 pilot (which can happen very soon in the game with care packages) you'll realize how vastly different the games are.

Also, you shouldn't be dieing in 10 seconds if there's not an enemy aircraft up. If you charge away from your spawn location and run down the middle of the street or into high traffic areas, yeah, it's going to happen, but you should change tactics for those type of maps if you want to win.

My recommendation is to try it out, it's going to be another 6+ months before there's another chance to do it for free. It's different enough from BC2 to be an enjoyable FPS that stands on its own.

More
08 Apr 2010 12:58 #3535 by Twodavez
I "preloaded" it last night. I am looking forward to trying it tonight. Then we'll all be able to make a honest experienced opinion about the game. See you on tonight!

More
08 Apr 2010 23:04 #3570 by garfi3ld
i think Reaper summed it up

looking forward to playing with you guys this weekend

Wes

More
08 Apr 2010 23:29 #3575 by Scy
Bah. The preload is a lie. It preloads 3.8 GB, but now it's doing ANOTHER update which will take it up to 11GB. I'll leave it running while I'm out tonight, but I'm not going to sacrifice playing other steam games just in order to play a game for a couple days.

More
08 Apr 2010 23:59 #3583 by Twodavez
I Preloaded and now i get a Fatal Error "Could not load localization.txt. Please make sure Modern Warfare 2 is run from the correct folder" This is the error i get when trying to open it through steam! I'm already frustrated with the game and it's free and i haven't even been killed in the first 10 seconds of game play... :-)

More
09 Apr 2010 04:04 #3604 by Reaper
This has happened to me once. Rather than figure it out I just deleted the local game files and reinstalled, worked fine.

More
09 Apr 2010 05:18 #3607 by jj_Sky5000
I dont want to spoil My bfbc2 experience. i think ill pass

More
09 Apr 2010 11:13 #3609 by Twodavez
So i played my first full game :-/
I spawned with my team and was instantly killed 4 times by granades being thrown into the bunker we spawned at. Then once i got out, someone was in a jet, hovering above the map, killing everyone with rockets or his super gun on the plane. Then after dieing a few more times there, i finaly found a hold to hide in when there was a nuclear bomb dropped which ended the map, one guy got a score of 2500 and the next place below him was also on his team which was 500.
What an aWESOME GAME, can't wait to get off work and die some more... LOL

More
09 Apr 2010 11:19 #3611 by Nacelle
Yeah, the only time I'd play this is at a LAN. 3 x $50 doesn't seem worth it.

More
09 Apr 2010 14:54 #3616 by garfi3ld
jj_Sky5000 wrote:

I dont want to spoil My bfbc2 experience. i think ill pass

lolwow

Dave hit me up at some point we can play together. Sounds like you had a really bad team

Wes

More
09 Apr 2010 15:22 #3619 by Twodavez
I do'nt think i'll have a chance until the LAN. There was a level 60 person on the other team, so i think it was just about him getting enough kills to get the unkillable plane and taking advantage of our in-experience...
I just thought it was funny that i died that quickly. I'll try the game again.

More
09 Apr 2010 15:27 #3620 by garfi3ld
the plane isnt unkillable, thats what makes me think you had a bad team lol.

You just need Adam on your team, he is my plane killer

Wes

More
09 Apr 2010 15:30 #3622 by Twodavez
Sounds good. I didn't really fault the game, but just thought i'd share my 1st experience :-)
See you all tomorrow!!!!! :woohoo:

More
09 Apr 2010 15:36 - 09 Apr 2010 15:37 #3624 by Reaper
The cool thing about MW2 is level doesn't matter *that* much. You get access to 5 classes with perks/etc that don't come til much later in the game, so you can effectively play vs a 70 even at low level. Obviously you get more things as you level up, but the starting items are very nice. I'm current 1st prestige 54 right now, and had a couple of games earlier where a level 8 was clocking me.

But yeah, you get good lobbies & bad lobbies. I try to judge very quickly if a lobby is worth staying in. If several people are massively cheating, or the team I join consists of people who can't figure out how to point at enemy players and shoot, I'll leave.

A few from FWG play late night (10PM+) so if you're on and wanting to play, just message us. I won't be on tonight but should be on some Saturday & Sunday late nights.

Edit: Ooops forgot you guys are going to a LAN tomorrow, well regardless just send one of us a message if you want to group up.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2010 15:37 by Reaper.

More
12 Apr 2010 14:06 #3683 by Twodavez
With the limited internet at Stompfest, i was only able to play a few more rounds with 2-3 people actually at the LAN. I thought the game looks good, but without earning some better items, and not playing too much of COD4 MW1, i guess i wasn't able to see a big difference in over-all game play. Not something i'll be purchasing anytime soon, but i'm glad there are people out there that like the game...

We have 1811 guests and one member online

supportus