Netflix

More
13 Jul 2011 00:29 #16665 by Wingless92
Netflix was created by Wingless92
So they are changing their plans. Right now I have unlimited DVD's 1 out at a time and unlimited streaming for $10.69 with tax. Now they want $15.98 before tax. So probably right around $17 is what i'm thinking.

I use the DVD's to rip and then store on my server. My Amazon Prime membership is also up, got it free for being a student. They do streaming also if you sign up for Prime but its $40.

Not sure if I will cancel my Netflix membership and go with Amazon or just let them both lapse and do nothing. I use Netflix but that's a slap in the face. I don't want to pay an extra $5 or 6 bucks a month.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jul 2011 00:43 #16666 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: Netflix
When people make a good service, I'm willing to help support it with my money. I've had Netflix instant streaming and have paid the same price for years while the content available has absolutely exploded. I'm not exactly keen on paying more, but they've really upped the standards for what a streaming service can do in terms of bang for the buck. It will most likely still be cheaper than basic cable, and they blow that away in terms of both content and not having to sit through ads. In my opinion a reasonable price hike is justified, especially if this allows them to get even more licensing and offer more big-name shows I want to watch.

More
13 Jul 2011 01:53 #16667 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Re: Netflix
Oh, I read into it a bit more and I see what they're doing: splitting the DVD and instant streaming plans.

More
13 Jul 2011 02:17 #16669 by Wingcmdr77
Replied by Wingcmdr77 on topic Re: Netflix
If it helps with licensing and faster aquisition of movies/shows etc then I wont complain.

More
13 Jul 2011 16:53 #16685 by Reaper
Replied by Reaper on topic Re: Netflix
I don't understand why they aren't offering a package/discount deal. For people that primarily use one method and supplement with the other, there is absolutely no incentive to pay for two plans. For me/my family I think we'll just be keeping the streaming only version. For things that aren't available via streaming there is always Redbox or other options.

More
13 Jul 2011 19:26 #16686 by draymac
Replied by draymac on topic Re: Netflix
Dear Daniel,

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $17.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs (including Blu-ray access) will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs (including Blu-ray), 2 out at-a-time (no streaming)
for $14.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $22.98 a month ($7.99 + $14.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

It's price gouging and I hate it!

Wingless....Amazon's streaming service is quite poor on content as far as the free selections you get with Prime membership.

I think I am with Reaper and gonna go with streaming only and get my dvd's/blu-rays locally.

More
14 Jul 2011 03:12 #16689 by Nacelle
Replied by Nacelle on topic Re: Netflix
I'll do the streaming only and get new releases from Redbox.

More
14 Jul 2011 04:16 #16692 by Wingless92
Replied by Wingless92 on topic Re: Netflix
Funny, I think i'm just going to do the disc's and do streaming somewhere else. I want the disc's to rip for my server. I could careless about the streaming. I would be nice on my phone but I can stream stuff from the server to my phone via flash. Thank god Android does flash.

More
14 Jul 2011 05:05 #16694 by Mike02929
Replied by Mike02929 on topic Re: Netflix
This might be the first step in a long road to phase out the DVD by mail. You gotta figure that side of the business is going the way of the dinosaur sooner or later. That's why you see Redbox in a hurry to setup a streaming version of their business.

Also, the more popular Netflix gets, the more vocal your ISP (which probably also supplies your cable television) will get. Time Warner doesn't want you to cancel your $80/month cable bill to pay Netflix to stream movies and TV on TIME WARNER'S network. I expect a coming to Jesus on that sometime between Netflix and the ISP's.

More
15 Jul 2011 18:52 #16703 by drpain
Replied by drpain on topic Re: Netflix
I just do the streaming which I don't even pay for anyways (gotta love mooching people's account) but I really think they are getting pressured by Big Media/Hollywood and they want their cuts so of course for Netflix to stay a float they have to up their prices.

Like Mike has said as well the Cable guys are going to want their cut as well for all that extra bandwidth so they will start throttling or something then that will just create an even larger pissed off community.

It's all a money game and it will continue to be until the US's network infrastructure gets to the point it can handle the load of the "cloud"

Custom Built: AMD Phenom II X4 3.0GHz/G. Skill 12GB DDR3 1066Mhz/Crossfire ATI 6850's/3TB HDD

Macbook Pro: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz/4GB DDR3 1066MHz/Nvidia Geforce 9600M GT 256MB/320GB HDD

Xfire: drpain
Steam: drpain
Live: Ocar
PSN: BillyBananas

We have 3330 guests and no members online

supportus