Google Nexus 7 Tablet Released!

More
28 Jun 2012 04:06 - 28 Jun 2012 05:42 #25928 by Brandonxcore
Tegra 3 quad core processor, 8gb storage, 7" 1280x800 screen, and only 199$ for a 8gb or 249$ for the 16gb, shipping mid july, worth it? I think so. Opinions?

PREORDER YOURS HERE

Engaget

Last edit: 28 Jun 2012 05:42 by Brandonxcore.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2012 10:07 #25929 by Plague
I really want one of these until I saw the limited storage size offered. In the rumors they stated that it might have a micro-SD card slot, but it isn't on any of the specs now, so I assume it doesn't. Boo :(

More
28 Jun 2012 21:25 #25931 by garfi3ld
I'm sure keeping it as such a low price with that kick ass hardware played a big role in that. Do you really need that much storage?

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brandonxcore

More
29 Jun 2012 01:09 - 29 Jun 2012 01:16 #25934 by Plague

garfi3ld wrote: I'm sure keeping it as such a low price with that kick ass hardware played a big role in that. Do you really need that much storage?

I don't know probably not, you can never have to much storage. hehe

Edit/Update: I have a A500 tablet with 16Gb of internal storage, which is actually only 12.71Gb with formatting. With my current load and no videos stored on that memory I have 11.36Gb available, but I have an 8Gb video on 32Gb micro-SD card in the expansion slot of that tablet. That and the A500 as to full normal USB port, so any USB stick is accessible on it.

So I guess I could make the 16Gb version work. but the 8Gb would be to limiting for me.

My only issue with the A500 is hardware lag, that I know the Samsung Tablet doesn't have, but I couldn't afford. This is/was going to be my upgrade to get back into "no lag" land. We will see, not preordering one, but still might pick it up.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2012 01:16 by Plague.

More
29 Jun 2012 01:16 #25935 by Dreyvas

garfi3ld wrote: I'm sure keeping it as such a low price with that kick ass hardware played a big role in that. Do you really need that much storage?

I fully agree. For the pricetag, it's killer. I'm really considering snagging one.

More
29 Jun 2012 03:54 #25936 by Arxon

Dreyvas wrote:

I fully agree. For the pricetag, it's killer. I'm really considering snagging one.

They had to compete with the Kindle Fire for price point.

More
29 Jun 2012 07:44 #25938 by Wingless92

Arxon wrote: They had to compete with the Kindle Fire for price point.

That is not even in the same league Arxon. In no way does Amazon even mention that the Kindle Fire at it's core is Android. The Nexus devices have always been the flagship phones/tablets. That is why people love them. Bringing the Kindle Fire in the discussion does nothing. The Nexus 7 is going to trounce all over the Fire IMO.

Didn't mean to harp on you Arxon but the Kindle Fire is now a joke.

I already have mine ordered BTW. Should be a great device.

More
29 Jun 2012 08:45 #25939 by Arxon
I was talking about price not specs.

More
29 Jun 2012 08:47 - 29 Jun 2012 08:50 #25940 by Dreyvas

Wingless92 wrote:

Arxon wrote: They had to compete with the Kindle Fire for price point.

That is not even in the same league Arxon. In no way does Amazon even mention that the Kindle Fire at it's core is Android. The Nexus devices have always been the flagship phones/tablets. That is why people love them. Bringing the Kindle Fire in the discussion does nothing. The Nexus 7 is going to trounce all over the Fire IMO.

Didn't mean to harp on you Arxon but the Kindle Fire is now a joke.

I already have mine ordered BTW. Should be a great device.

That's all fine and dandy, but he's referring to the price range, not any of the actual specs. And it absolutely is in the same league for price, which is a main deciding factor for a large amount of consumers. Since the specs are better, sure, it'll smash the Fire for people that are looking for specs (read: everyone that frequents these forums). Kindle is an extremely strong brand and will probably continue to sell well to the less technically-inclined.

/shrug

Edit: Sniped :P
Last edit: 29 Jun 2012 08:50 by Dreyvas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Arxon

More
29 Jun 2012 10:13 #25941 by Arxon
If this was out when i got my fire... lets just say the fire would have stayed at the store and this would be next to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dreyvas

More
31 Jul 2012 06:03 #26677 by Brandonxcore
BTW, the people that picked it up, how do you like it so far? Worth the buy? I have the money to get one, just want your opinions :) Thanks!

More
31 Jul 2012 11:02 #26703 by Plague
I ordered mine last Saturday when the 16Gb version became available again. I hope to have it Friday (maybe). Will let you know.

More
03 Aug 2012 23:19 - 03 Aug 2012 23:30 #26805 by Plague
So I got it on Wednesday. Took a few picture while I was opening it.

Outer Cover with tablet in the angle to make it look like a 7. Kind of cool

Just a simple black box under that with Nexus embossed in the right hand corner

Box open, tablet with complete plastic covering, and it was nice that they showed me there the power button was, because you can't see them from the front face.

Got it powered on and to my surprise it already knew who I was. They must to a individual load on each of these before they are shipped. (my only guess)

And the default home screen after it linking my gmail account to it. (which I prompted emptied, I hate busy desktops LOL)

Well there you have mini-unboxing for the Nexus 7.

I have notice a few things I don't like, but I have never used a 7 inch tablet before to verify. This tablet's interface is more phone like then my Acer A500, the buttons on the bottom are always in the middle of the screen even when in landscape, instead of them being in the far left like my A500. Also, the home screen will not auto rotate to landscape without help of an app. I could be wrong about that, but I tried and then did some Google searches and everyone else was having the same problem.
Another difference that I can't verify for 7 inch tablet is that the Nexus 7 has a dock bar at the bottom like a phone to get to the apps and launch programs. I know my A500 didn't have this until I loaded a different launcher. Also there is no other way to get to the apps list without the dock. so you can't just turn it off either.
There are 3 more picture, with the screen rotated so you can see what I mean about the buttons and the dock.

Overall I am liking the smaller size and liter weight... Oh and the power, it really is the smoothest android device yet, even after putting a different launcher and have programs running in the background. Very well done.

One other notes, since this is a Android 4.1.1 I have found a few of my apps will not install because they are not compatible... I know this will get fixed soon (I hope), but worth pointing out.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2012 23:30 by Plague.

We have 1262 guests and no members online

supportus