Dialup funny

More
13 Feb 2013 19:24 #29441 by garfi3ld
Dialup funny was created by garfi3ld
Found this one on reddit this morning, thought some of you would enjoy this. Especially those of you who grew up with dialup speeds. I remember getting the boost to 56K for example and bring blown away.

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kelf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2013 20:34 #29444 by evildoer
Replied by evildoer on topic Dialup funny
I remember DCCing bitmaps and text files at something like 15KB/s over 53Kbps and being shocked. Apparently there's some sort of compression algortithm when certain files were sent.

I also remember being extremely excited when my dad re-wired my bedroom which allowed me to go from a connection that was 38.4 to 49.6.

I went from a HPB in Quake Team Fortress to a lower pinged HPB!

Those were the days.

More
13 Feb 2013 22:39 #29448 by Lersar
Replied by Lersar on topic Dialup funny
The majority of my Guild Wars experience was spent on 28.8 dial-up... I remember considering myself lucky when I'd load a map before the group moved on and I could catch up to them. I was used to soloing that game.

More
14 Feb 2013 00:49 #29454 by Sideout
Replied by Sideout on topic Dialup funny
Pfftt , i remember shotgunning 56K modems to get better bandwidth because there was no DSL or cable in my area out in the sticks.

I am the LAN!!!!

More
14 Feb 2013 00:57 #29455 by Wooderson
Replied by Wooderson on topic Dialup funny
I got confused for a minute thought I was at my parents house. They finally switched to Hughesnet, and they keep telling me how great it is. Now if only Dad could figure out "What is this ting called Youtube" and "Why is the computer running slow because the video keeps stopping/starting."

I kill CPU's

More
14 Feb 2013 16:17 #29483 by L0rdG1gabyt3
Replied by L0rdG1gabyt3 on topic Dialup funny
My first online experience was with a 14.4K modem, dialing to BBS services on Windows 3.1. No joke. After taking an hour to download 1 jpg, you needed a viewer with 3.1, which took another hour. Then, as you hastily opened the jpg that you waited all day for, you found out she wasn't even fully naked! What made it more embarrassing is when my parents got the phone bill that month.... found out the BBS was in Taiwan. For those of us old enough to remember paying for long distance, it wasn't a happy experience! This was back in '93. Probably before half the people on this forum were born.

486SX 33Mhz
2MB RAM
500MB HDD
DOS 6.0
Windows 3.1
SVGA Graphics
13" CRT
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lersar

More
14 Feb 2013 19:44 #29484 by Dreyvas
Replied by Dreyvas on topic Dialup funny

L0rdG1gabyt3 wrote: My first online experience was with a 14.4K modem, dialing to BBS services on Windows 3.1. No joke. After taking an hour to download 1 jpg, you needed a viewer with 3.1, which took another hour. Then, as you hastily opened the jpg that you waited all day for, you found out she wasn't even fully naked! What made it more embarrassing is when my parents got the phone bill that month.... found out the BBS was in Taiwan. For those of us old enough to remember paying for long distance, it wasn't a happy experience! This was back in '93. Probably before half the people on this forum were born.

486SX 33Mhz
2MB RAM
500MB HDD
DOS 6.0
Windows 3.1
SVGA Graphics
13" CRT

www.imdb.com/title/tt0460402/

I started watching this, it's pretty amazing. I'll bet it'd be right up your alley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L0rdG1gabyt3

We have 1527 guests and no members online

supportus