LanOC Fall Update

More
10 Aug 2017 00:45 #38406 by garfi3ld
LanOC Fall Update was created by garfi3ld
I know a lot of people have been looking for updates for a long time, honestly I’ve been in the same exact boat as well. So this might end up being a big wall of text but I’m going to update everyone on the status of our fall event that we had tentatively scheduled, other upcoming events, and LanOC as a whole so hang on this is going to be a long one.

LanOC V20 Update
So to start things off, as you may have guessed we aren’t going to make our September date. I will be announcing a new date in the future once things are locked in rather than trying to run with a tentative date and miss it. I really hate messing up everyone's schedules. The reason for us not having a fall event is basically an extension of what was going on for us in the spring but I wanted to go into more detail because given the number of people who have contacted me (seriously I hear from a few people a day asking about the LAN, I love you guys/girls). Before I do, I really want to be clear that while this has been a rough year, this IS NOT the end. I just want everything to be perfect for you guys/girls.
Basically the building we have been using dropped another renter, a theater production company that would host small events there as well as do their practice each weekend. This affected us in a big way though because they had their own break out box upstairs with five circuits that dropped right into the middle of the room. I considered just going with a smaller event but with our next event being our 20th, I wanted to make it even better, not go smaller. All year there has been some confusion from the building and the production company. The building was trying to buy that hardware so that we would be able to use it but I could never get an answer on it. In the end, I found out just about 3 weeks ago that the production company took it. I was waiting on Cory (because he was local) to go with me up to the building to get an idea of what we would need to build a similar setup of our own but he ended up being way too busy. Alex and I stopped up there two weeks ago and got some idea of the setup, but without someone more versed in power I wasn’t going to lock anything down.
I finally got an idea of what the costs would be with the main cable going from their box upstairs being by far the largest cost (between $350 and $750 depending on the length we would need). We do have a heavy duty cable stored away that was given to us (by Cory) years ago that we need to check to see if it is the gauge we need but Cory thinks it isn’t the gauge we need. The costs of the breakout box and the 5 extension cords we would also have to pick up should be doable but the waiting to find out anything pushed us way too late into the year to be able to put together a proper event on the date we had scheduled.

Staff Needed
In addition to all of that, we still need to replace a few staff members and bring on more help on top of that. I was holding off on staff until the building stuff was worked out. I will be looking to add two network staff and one photographer that can also flex to help in other areas as needed. At the start of the year, I did get a few responses when I asked who would be interested in helping with the staff. I’m looking for people who aren’t also on staff for other regional events when possible, there has been a huge amount of staff overlap and I’m concerned that scheduling conflicts could cause issues in the future, not to mention burnout from helping with too many events in a year. Network staff should also know their way around PFSense and Linux. They would be handling our router configuration including QoS and load balancing. In addition, they would also handle game server configurations and maintain those servers at the event and would need to setup and maintain a Steam Cache server to keep the network load low. Bringing on two network staff should help give time for breaks and relieve some of the stress from the job.
The photographer job is self-explanatory really, you would be taking photos of our raffle winners, PCs and people around the event, and other activities. Beyond that, you would be helping at the start of the event to get people seated, help make sure people are hooked up to the correct power, and anything else needed.
All staff needs to be friendly and willing to help people with issues. You also have to understand that there is planning ahead of the event, especially on the network side. Network staff would also most likely have to be able to make it to Van Wert before the event to get equipment to setup and test ahead of time. Anyone interested in either staff job please reach out to me at (wes at our domain) or via the contact form on the website include LAN Staff in the title.

Review Staff
Beyond network staff, I might as well take this time to mention that on the review side of things I am looking for new review staff. If you think this might be a good match for you contact me at wes at our domain.

TLDR
-Our tentative September date isn’t going to work, will be setting a new date soon
-Looking for Event Staff, information above
-Also looking for Review Staff

Wes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2017 00:58 #38407 by walwalka
Replied by walwalka on topic LanOC Fall Update
Wes,

What gauge cabling do you need and how long? I have a whole garage full of stuff from my fathers years of being an electrician. I may just have what you need. I think I have all the way down to 8/2 romex, not sure on the length though.

More
11 Aug 2017 00:59 #38408 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic LanOC Fall Update
6 gauge 220/240v cable (need to confirm if we need 3 cable or 4 cable, Deb0 may know and reply)

Wes

More
16 Aug 2017 10:37 #38413 by walwalka
Replied by walwalka on topic LanOC Fall Update
I took a look, I have some 6/3 but only about 30ft of it. However, confirm exactly what you need and how much and I'll do some digging and try and find some.

More
29 Jan 2018 19:42 #38481 by CrazyBillyBob
Replied by CrazyBillyBob on topic LanOC Fall Update
@garfi3ld
Any update on the spring/summer event? or next fall? (I know you're up to your eyes in new home issues but if you get a minute drop a line in the water).

CBB

More
04 Feb 2018 03:34 #38484 by garfi3ld
Replied by garfi3ld on topic LanOC Fall Update
I still plan and want to have an event but I haven't really focused on getting things lined back up. Have a few new building options in our new town that I want to check out.

I miss you guys, I'm sorry I've been slacking

Wes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Whitty

More
26 Mar 2018 11:36 #38510 by SpeedBump
Replied by SpeedBump on topic LanOC Fall Update
Needing a GOOD LAN Party soon. Whatcha got?

More
21 May 2018 14:13 #38523 by CrazyBillyBob
Replied by CrazyBillyBob on topic LanOC Fall Update
So there are some new options.... Let's make it Happen Cap'n!!!

CBB

More
16 Feb 2021 23:07 #38821 by Mike02929
Replied by Mike02929 on topic LanOC Fall Update
Howdy. It's been a few moons since I've dropped by.  I'm saddened to see LanOC appears to be no more. I have very fond memories of attending a few of these well organized events. Wes and the team were always great. I was trying to figure out what happened by reading through the forum.  Will LanOC ever be making a comeback?  

Thanks;

Mike

More
30 Mar 2023 13:54 #38951 by Davey_Boy
Replied by Davey_Boy on topic LanOC Fall Update
It's the year 2023, and I'm still waiting for LanOC V20.

We have 1639 guests and one member online

supportus